• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fan-fucking-tastic.

All Black Julian Savea charged with assault

ASSAULT CHARGE: All Blacks and Hurricanes winger Julian Savea. - Getty Images
Hurricanes and All Blacks winger Julian Savea has issued a tearful apology after he was charged with assault in relation to a domestic incident.

At a press conference today Savea said he could not go into detail about the incident, "but I will say my partner and I had an argument, I did some things that are wrong, that I shouldn't have done, and I apologise for that".

"To my partner and family, I want to say I'm sorry," he said. "To hurt someone that you love and care so much for ... I know it's hurting them and it's definitely hurting me, so I apologise to them."

He confirmed the incident took place last Sunday.

Savea also apologised to the Hurricanes, the All Blacks and the New Zealand Rugby Football Union.

"I'm not making excuses for myself. I know what I did was wrong, and I'm taking steps to make sure this will never happen again."

He will appear in the Wellington District Court tomorrow, the Hurricanes and New Zealand Rugby confirmed today.

"Obviously, we are disappointed to have this situation emerge, but we must now let the judicial process run its course. The key thing for us is to support the families as they work through what is a very difficult time," Hurricanes chief executive James Te Puni said.

"I have spoken with Julian who is deeply upset to be in this position and now needs to deal with the situation."

New Zealand Rugby chief executive Steve Tew said: "We were very disappointed to learn of this incident and Julian's subsequent charge. We appreciate this is a distressing time for all those affected and we are also helping support the family.

"As his employer, we want to ensure that our process regarding misconduct proceedings also respects his right to a fair hearing in court, so we will await the conclusion of the court process.

"Without judging the rights or wrongs of this case, we are concerned that this is another incident involving a young player. We need to find out whether we are doing enough to help these young men cope with the pressures of the professional game.

"As a result of these various incidents, we will be undertaking an independent assessment of the support we provide players from their time of induction into the professional game."

Te Puni said Savea had also appeared on posters last year as part of the It's Not OK campaign against family violence.

"Given that, Julian is embarrassed and apologetic he now finds himself in this situation."

Savea, 22, played for the Hurricanes on Friday, in a 22-16 win over the Western Force in Wellington.

He has had a stellar start to his professional rugby career, earning an All Black call-up in June last year against Ireland.

Nicknamed ''The Bus,'' Savea's block-busting style of play has earned him comparisons with All Black great Jonah Lomu.

From Stuff.com

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is Anscombe a future 15 for the All Blacks? Solid in both attack and defense, a good reserve goal kicker and sets up tries left right and centre.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wasn't Anscombe Player of the Tournament at the JRWC in Argentina a year or two back - as a #10?

He has made an interesting transition to #15 (back up 10) along with his move to the Chiefs from the Blues.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wasn't Anscombe Player of the Tournament at the JRWC in Argentina a year or two back - as a #10?

He has made an interesting transition to #15 (back up 10) along with his move to the Chiefs from the Blues.
I think so, yes. With a not-so-dominant forward pack at the Blues, he was meh at 10, with a dominant forward pack he sets the backline on fire. The Wallabies were showing some of the benefits of a second 10 at 15, the Chiefs are showing all the benefits.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Yes, in 2011.

In 2010 Bleyendaal was player of the tournament and in 2009 Cruden was player of the tournament.

Fly halves actually grow on trees in New Zealand.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Savea was granted bail today.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...from-contact-with-partner-20130422-2i9qb.html

He has not entered a plea although you'd have to think his eventual plea will be guilty as he pretty much admitted guilt in the press conference yesterday.

In other news, Frances Saili has been charged with driving whilst his licence was suspended.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...er-latest-star-in-trouble-20130422-2i9q5.html
Seems he will admit guilt, story coming out apparently he pushed his missus, no punches, mind you a push from a bi bugger like him might send you back a bit!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And don't think Anscombe will make All Blacks, he been good so far, but don't know if he good enough to take an AB spot, his best chance is probably Wales as he got Welsh passport I think!!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Hmmmmm......interesting thought on Anscombe. He wouldn't push Dagg out of the 15 jersey but who are the other contenders? Piatau, Ben Smith.....does anyone still think Andre Tayler is AB material this year?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yes, in 2011.

In 2010 Bleyendaal was player of the tournament and in 2009 Cruden was player of the tournament.

Fly halves actually grow on trees in New Zealand.
IIRC Colin Slade may have been similar in 2008 or so.

Slade, Carter, Bleyendall, Mehrtens are all Christchurch Boys High School products.

Others include (from Wikipedia, and most were not JRWC players of the tournament):

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hmmmmm..interesting thought on Anscombe. He wouldn't push Dagg out of the 15 jersey but who are the other contenders? Piatau, Ben Smith...does anyone still think Andre Tayler is AB material this year?
Andre Taylor will be in a squad, but in reality it's just not worth playing him or even having him in the 22.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Andre Taylor will be in a squad, but in reality it's just not worth playing him or even having him in the 22.

I'd be surprised if he is in the squad this year......

The winger spots will be a massive fight....Masaga, Gear, Savea, Guilford....when does Jane come back? Throw in Ranger, Poki and maybe Halai as bolters...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Andre Taylor has certainly gone backwards after a breakout season last year.

I'd imagine Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Charles Piutau, and Gareth Anscombe are all ahead of him for the fullback role this year.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fullback will be Dagg,Piutau or Smith in that order I think, noone else will come close. Think Ben Smith may go on wing or midfield cover, though an obvious player for bench. So I really think it between Dagg and Piutau.
Taylor never really close I don't think. And Jane out for year.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ben Smith on the wing is like Kurtley Beale on the wing - they're good ball runners, really quick, good tackle (most of the time with Kurtley), but struggle in little space. They want to follow their target and tackle, not hit them over the touch line.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ben Smith on the wing is like Kurtley Beale on the wing - they're good ball runners, really quick, good tackle (most of the time with Kurtley), but struggle in little space. They want to follow their target and tackle, not hit them over the touch line.

Roff, Ben Smith has only played on the wing for the ABs and done very well in limited opportunities

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Roff, Ben Smith has only played on the wing for the ABs and done very well in limited opportunities
I think Ben Smith is a GREAT player, probably the most consistent fullback in NZ this year. The wing might be a good spot for him, but like Roff, just because he is good on the wing, doesn't mean he isn't better at fullback.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Is Anscombe a future 15 for the All Blacks? Solid in both attack and defense, a good reserve goal kicker and sets up tries left right and centre.

I'd say that the 15 jersey is currently up between him and Ben Smith. Andre Taylor just went off the boil entirely this year and Dagg has been blowing hot at times but also very, very cold at others. I believe Anscombe has also outperformed Piutau.

Dan Carter has been getting injured very regularly since the RWC and is likely coming to the end of his international career. Cruden is the clear incumbent and we will likely see more of him than ever in the ABs in 2013. This is hugely important for goal kicking and combination both very strong arguments to start Anscombe at 15.

Anscombe has improved in each outing in the 15 jersey and was electric his last few games. He's playing sublime rugby right now and looks a whole new player from the defeated first five-eight of the 2012 Blues.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Dagg, B. Smith, Savea, Kahui, Gear, Ranger to fight it out for the back 3 spots.

Piatau may get a wider training squad spot but there will probably need to be a few injuries for him to get a run particularly if they select Barrett in the squad as Hansen has seen/used him as FB cover previously.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The discussion over Wallby positions is being done to death, time to turn to the AB's.

Lot's of competition for spots but unlike the Aus conference, it seems to be because the usual suspects are not playing well, good sign for us. Our forwards should really be able to match up and the only clear advantage in the backs in favour of the darkness is in the centres. Definitely more optimistic about our chances this year than the last few.

1. B Franks
2. H Elliot - usuals out of form
3. O Franks
4. S Whitelock
5. C Clarke
6. L Messam
7. S Cane
8. K Read
9. P Weepu - one of the few ABs playing well
10. A Cruden - not had the impact of last year but ahead of Carter due to lack of play
11. J Savea - needs to be more consistent
12. R Kahui - class
13. C Smith - even classier
14. H Gear
15. B Smith

reposted from another fledgling thread.