• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Matt Todd has signed on for one more year:

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/todd-re-signs-with-crusaders/

Great backup for GOAT over the years & unlucky not to have more Test caps to his name. I suspect he'll head to NH after next year to avoid the post-RWC stampede & good luck to him.

Personally I would've had him as McCaw's successor ahead of Cane, who is more of a hybrid 6/7. Their respective test performances last year did nothing but reinforce that view.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Jordie Barrett. This kid has successor to Ben Smith written all over him. Could easily see a Muliainaesque 10-year AB tenure at fullback unfolding.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sam Whitelock commits to three more years:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11841597

Currently has 84,Test caps, the most of any AB lock, so provide he stays healthy he'll finish with well over 100 one would think. I'd also like to think he wants to win a Super Rugby title before hanging up the boots....

One of best bits of news to come out in last while (though not surprising given the type of man), I make no secret of fact I think Whitelock is best lock going, a top notch grafter, and a pretty good rugby brain on him, to often we overlook players like him in a world with Barretts, Smiths etc in it!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is fantastic news:

IMG_0723.JPG

"Charlie Ngatai will make his return to rugby this weekend after almost a year on the sidelines with concussion symptoms."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...er-prolonged-absence-with-concussion-symptoms

Playing for (Waikato) Uni v the mighty Otorohanga tomorrow. Probably not enough time for him to be a serious contender for AB v B&IL but really looking forward to seeing him back in Chiefs colours & staking a claim for EOYT inclusion.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
One of best bits of news to come out in last while (though not surprising given the type of man), I make no secret of fact I think Whitelock is best lock going, a top notch grafter, and a pretty good rugby brain on him, to often we overlook players like him in a world with Barretts, Smiths etc in it!

Not to say Whitelock is underrated, as he gets plenty of recognition for his quality, but he does fly under the radar a bit. Not a bad thing, and he is just the type of player most Test coaches would donate a nut for.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I can't decide who would be the first name penciled in on the AB forward pack team sheet, Whitelock or Retallick. I'd be writing them down ahead of precious Franks and the captain and his designated heir in #7, that's for sure.

Of course the team for the Lions completely picks itself and has been etched in stone for fucking months now. Getting a wee bit edgy over the overall complacent safeness of it all though, virtually NO challenges for starting spots. They aint gonna biff the youngest Barrett out there when he’s never even kicked in a test match. Surely not.

Re:midfield, ALBrown at Soup Level seems to be just a solid invisible glueman. As is Crotty. Fekitoa is an embarrassing dogs bollox on attack and Her Royal Highness SBW is lost at fucken sea in his 1.5 games so far this season. Starting to get anxious re:Lions and this semi-shitty array of choices. IhOmo, Faddes and Buckman look better than any of them. Even Jack Goodhue has already shown 20x the straight running draw-and-pass instincts Fekitoa ever has

Starting to think Ric Ricci “Rick” Riccitelli might be the 2nd best hooker in NZ? Very pacey with good instincts and does core jobs. Codie Taylor in Cantabland seems to have been usurped a bit by Ben Funnell? Coltman is meh, Parsons may as well be fuckin' Alan Parsons. Oh well, AB selectors will probably just go with their default option; that being, whatever Cantab is fit and healthy and next off the rank for his 10-year tenure. Speaking of which, Franks & Moody vaguely giving me the shits with their penalty sketchiness and their unchartered inability to play beyond 43 mins. What happens if it all goes pear shaped and one of the precious princes has to play 75 whole fucking minutes?

Naholo looking very fit. Didn’t really open the throttle on the dodgy hammies in his comeback half though. Maybe needs more voodoo. Midweek hammie voodoo rubdown. With extra leaves. And silly cross-eyed chanting.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I can't decide who would be the first name penciled in on the AB forward pack team sheet, Whitelock or Retallick. I'd be writing them down ahead of precious Franks and the captain and his designated heir in #7, that's for sure.
TL; DFR
Whitelock.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

Of course the team for the Lions completely picks itself and has been etched in stone for fucking months now. Getting a wee bit edgy over the overall complacent safeness of it all though, virtually NO challenges for starting spots. They aint gonna biff the youngest Barrett out there when he’s never even kicked in a test match. Surely not.

Re:midfield, ALBrown at Soup Level seems to be just a solid invisible glueman. As is Crotty. Fekitoa is an embarrassing dogs bollox on attack and Her Royal Highness SBW is lost at fucken sea in his 1.5 games so far this season. Starting to get anxious re:Lions and this semi-shitty array of choices. IhOmo, Faddes and Buckman look better than any of them. Even Jack Goodhue has already shown 20x the straight running draw-and-pass instincts Fekitoa ever has

Starting to think Ric Ricci “Rick” Riccitelli might be the 2nd best hooker in NZ? Very pacey with good instincts and does core jobs. Codie Taylor in Cantabland seems to have been usurped a bit by Ben Funnell? Coltman is meh, Parsons may as well be fuckin' Alan Parsons. Oh well, AB selectors will probably just go with their default option; that being, whatever Cantab is fit and healthy and next off the rank for his 10-year tenure. Speaking of which, Franks & Moody vaguely giving me the shits with their penalty sketchiness and their unchartered inability to play beyond 43 mins. What happens if it all goes pear shaped and one of the precious princes has to play 75 whole fucking minutes?

Naholo looking very fit. Didn’t really open the throttle on the dodgy hammies in his comeback half though. Maybe needs more voodoo. Midweek hammie voodoo rubdown. With extra leaves. And silly cross-eyed chanting.
Oh that's right, you get all unnecessarily paranoid about the ABs losing before any serious challenge. I forgot about your pre RWC form.

I hear canabanoids in edible form are good for curing paranoia. :)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Starting to agree about Riccitelli DP, he getting close to No 2 hooker, although Codie Taylor still would hold that spot I think,(and helps he a good Nua boy from Levin;)) and I reckon JTA is putting his hand up for tighthead if required!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
That's sad even though he has a positive attitude.
Having battled headaches myself I feel for him. Luckily I managed mine with a caffeine restriction bit can imagine going on forever without anything to stop them.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk