• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Let's get realistic. How are we going to win the Bledisloe back when rugby is the number 4 or 5 sport in Oz?

The AB's are simply amazing - and I don't think rugby is their 4th or 5th sport.

this is the thing..every rugby nation in the world needs to be thankful that Australians generally have an infatuation for either League or AFL and that rugby is very much a minority sport..

and throw soccer in there too..

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I re-call Carter in an interview saying he wants to do more, be more physical, try and take some ball-running load off Palu. He is mentally in the right space but he just doesn't have the strength to make an impact.

its not his strength - its his fucking technique! Lower your shoulders young bull, and charge into them, then drive up. Don't go in high or you'll turn it over.

When we (stupidly) shovelled it wide to 2 players against 6, Carter went in high and got stripped, then Savea scored. Firstly, he should never have got that ball because the playmakers should have kept it tight. But second, he should have aimed for Retallick's midriff, then pumped his legs until someone could arrive and clean out.

The whole pack is soft apart from Slipper and Hooper. Only ones who had a dig out there.

What is also confronting about Link's selection policy is that Slipper played the whole game, because the supposed injection of pace Pek Cowan is supposed to have around the paddock was not required. Why? Scrum, that's why.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I can't think of one bloke in our pack that the all blacks would fear.....a bunch of bloody soft cocks. We need some personalities in the pack like Vickerman, Finnegan, Sam Scott-Young, Harrison. Right now we have a pack of John Eales type characters with less talent. If we can't match their skill level then the least we can do is get under their skin and rough them up but we can't even do that.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
What is also confronting about Link's selection policy is that Slipper played the whole game, because the supposed injection of pace Pek Cowan is supposed to have around the paddock was not required. Why? Scrum, that's why.

I think Link treats the front rowers on the bench as 'reserves' which is the right call..i.e. only bring them on if required

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
its not his strength - its his fucking technique! Lower your shoulders young bull, and charge into them, then drive up. Don't go in high or you'll turn it over.

When we (stupidly) shovelled it wide to 2 players against 6, Carter went in high and got stripped, then Savea scored. Firstly, he should never have got that ball because the playmakers should have kept it tight. But second, he should have aimed for Retallick's midriff, then pumped his legs until someone could arrive and clean out.

To be fair I think its a bit of both. Poor technique and lack of strength. Also poor alignment and distribution, we don't seem to be hitting the ball at pace - its no wonder we don't get over the advantage line when our forwards start from a static position. Amateur stuff really - which makes its so frustrating to watch.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
The whole pack is soft apart from Slipper and Hooper. Only ones who had a dig out there.
Couldn't agree more. I'm so sick of watching soft packs. For a decade we had to endure a pack with Nathan Sharpe in it and we still can't pick mentally harder men. The fact that there will be howls of protests in saying that about Sharpe will highlight the difference in NZ and Australian beliefs. Most NZers would agree with me.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think both Carter and Skelton need another year of Super rugby and the EOYT..so Horwill back in, one of them needs to stay, probably Carter..

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

I don't think there's much we can do about it right now. Ringing the changes I don't think will work.

I expect a few changes - Phipps, TPN coming back in, maybe Foley, and maybe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to win with Kuridrani at 13 - but not wholesale. To be honest, I don't think the game would've been largely different (if at all) with those changes to begin with.

There's no panacea to this. We played badly, our tactics were off, ABs played great, their tactics were spot on. They cruelly exposed our weaknesses.

The Wallabies need to go back to the drawing board and make sure they front up next time.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
167 hours, 42 minutes from now.
And yes, I am counting.
Looking good mate.

You know I never tire of your posts.

They greatly fascinate me.

Particularly lately.

Very, very lately.

Official Mt Eden Metch Report.
Mount_Eden_Prison_Frontage.jpg
rugby4.jpg
black1.gif
black1.gif
black1.gif
Rumours of R.J.B.J Mccaw's demise much exaggerated.

A manic rabid freak.

Everywhere.

GOATMOTM.

A.Smith 2nd MOTM. Murderous jailbreak tempo started with him

A.Cruden 3rd MOTM. As guileful as he was glacial. That teasing sideline jog before he finally decided to put Savea away was jazz-hand time

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
this will sound like a classic case of hindsight, but I said it at the time...ask my wife!

after we had been steamrolled at the first scrum when Simmons was in the bin, at the next scrum I said Link should have taken Fardy off and brought Skelton on..this would have meant of course that Simmons or Carter would have played at 6 when he came back on, but we may have averted that first try, the penalty try..that was the turning point..

Th0mo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some questionning if we drop certain players as to who we replace them with. After tonight's performance a number of players need to be dropped just to create competition. If I had to make the calls they would be:

Horwill for Carter (out of 23 - Simmons retained only for combination)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to wing, McCabe (out of 23 - 5:2 split to be reviewed the following week once Speight comes in)
Foley for Beale (bench)
Kurindrani to outside centre
Higgers for Fardy (to bench)
Add McCalman to bench as part of 5:2

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Really. Did u see Richey all over the ball never releasing falou ( not holding him up as he was on his arse) and then scoring a try. That's 7 points the darkness shouldn't of god plus a red they should of. And the kick in touch that was called in play. That's a 5m lineout we should of had. The other 5m lineout resulted In a try. That's 14 points strait up plus the 3 Richey should of have away. Too many ppl underestimate these calls. Scary that the all blacks still won comfortably even with 2 cards though. They photo probably still would of won even if Richey saw a red card. That wallaby team will never beat the all blacks. Fardy needs to go for Higgers. We need a better lock (for Simmons) our props need to learn how to pass when we have numbers. Beal needs to learn that the inside ball to izzy looks predictable after the first 3 times. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) needs to be utilised better. We need speight.

White needs the bench. How good was smith at 9!

Where is Google translate when you need it?

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I think both Carter and Skelton need another year of Super rugby and the EOYT..so Horwill back in, one of them needs to stay, probably Carter..

Sadly, its; not that simple. We just don't have the cattle in the second row. Fardy showed some mongrel last year but has since turned into a winging halfback that spends most of his time throwing his hands in the air and pissing in the referee ear after the whistle like a 15 year old halfback. Horwill used to have some mongrel but now has nothing. Skelton might be too green right now but he is one of the few that shows any promise. Give him time in the jumper now. Coach to the big bastard how to use his frame. He has the natural ability and sub the bastard off when he runs out of juice. I can live with a drop ball or two if that is what we have to pay for a sweet offload and a couple of squashed kiwis.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I was surprised at how easily our scrum folded while Simmons was in the bin, was chalk and cheese. Amazing.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Devastated. Will we ever beat the pricks? Completely at a loss as to what we should be doing.

I hope Ewen can turn the boys around for Perth in two weeks time but that was a massive psychological blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.