• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia - Bledisloe 2, 24th August 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Think I may prefer Taylor too Frank, though I suspect Shag will go with Slade as he more experience in position!!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
While you never wish ill upon a player, it's nice to know that the All Blacks goal kicking won't be too flash this weekend.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
While you never wish ill upon a player, it's nice to know that the All Blacks goal kicking won't be too flash this weekend.

If Taylor starts then we really won't be missing too much. He kept DC outta the kicking for a few weeks when DC came back. He's pretty sharp.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, McMeniman is injured again and will miss the rest of the Rugby Championship (shoulder injury - surgery and out for six months) so that makes selection issues a bit more straight forward.

Presumably Fardy will start and Douglas or McCalman will come onto the bench.

If Link is going to add another player to the squad, Dennis seems the most likely option.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
If someone comes in I would like to see Pyle. Dennis is most likeley but not sure there is big need for another 6/8.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whilst I think it is worth giving Fardy a go starting at 6 and leaving Mowen at 8, I do wonder whether our backrow would work better with McCalman at 8 and Mowen at 6.

Mowen had easily his least effective test at 8 (albeit from a tiny sample size of 4 tests).

Are we better off putting Mowen back at 6 where he excels and putting McCalman at 8 who will be reliable, work really hard but not do anything overly flashy?

Until we try Fardy, Hooper and Mowen together we won't know, but in my thinking the backrow balance could be better with Mowen back at 6.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
cant see link just changing the 22 without injuries not after one match... Wallabies were good in the set piece, ABs just made the most of each mistake they made, especially the backs...

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Whilst I think it is worth giving Fardy a go starting at 6 and leaving Mowen at 8, I do wonder whether our backrow would work better with McCalman at 8 and Mowen at 6.

Mowen had easily his least effective test at 8 (albeit from a tiny sample size of 4 tests).

Are we better off putting Mowen back at 6 where he excels and putting McCalman at 8 who will be reliable, work really hard but not do anything overly flashy?

Until we try Fardy, Hooper and Mowen together we won't know, but in my thinking the backrow balance could be better with Mowen back at 6.

I would agree with you on this BH - if we have to have both McCalman and Mowen on the field at the same time then Mowen 6 - McCalman 8. The one thing that Mowen does need to work on is his control at the back of the scrum. You need a very, very cool operator back there otherwise things can get real messy - real quick. We saw a few glimpses of that last Saturday with the ball spewing out different channels every time. I believe McCalman has spent a lot more time at 8 in top level rugby.

MMM injured again - absolutely crazy. I feel for the poor bastard but can we seriously stop talking about the guy until he has come back and played more than 2 games in a row.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
2 of the 3 were ineffective.Rassie,you must have watched a different game if you thought Hooper played poorly.

Last time I looked Hooper was a flanker..:rolleyes:

I do concede Phil, that I think it was Rassie who made the mistake in referring to the 'back row' as the 'back 3'

Status
Not open for further replies.