• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Newcastle Hunter Rugby Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
From the NHRU website. A regional talent squad to be developed with assistance from the ARU high performance unit. Targetting 18-22 year olds and initially involving tight 5 players.

http://www.nhru.com.au/index.php/news/news-articles/196-news010812

There is a fair bit of Sevens Rugby influence coming in to the schools here in Newcastle (so I've been told) so it does make me feel like too much of that will result in less players capable of scrummages, i.e. the tight 5. For that very reason I love the sounds of this 'tight 5' program.

In the mean time here is the latest Rugby News Mag:

http://www.portprint.com.au/rugbynewsissue15/

Not real happy that the Bledisloe cup appearances will be all out Hunter way with not a single appearance in inner Newcastle - pretty bemusing stuff given the large contingent of juniors & seniors that come from inner Newcastle.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
We have had quite a round in men's premier one!

Details below:

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...-blues-are-real-deal/2648046.aspx?storypage=0

In summary.

Sth Beaches 18-17 beat Wanderers (at Cahill)
Maitland 29-5 beat Merewether-Carlton (at Lorn)
Lake Mac v Hamilton 17-all draw (at Lake Mac)
Uni 27-20 beat Singleton (at Singleton)
Tah v Nelson Bay postponed

Very tight game at Cahill. Wanderers have some improvement to do which I believe they are capable of. Although they won I have expected Beaches to slow up a bit after an amazing start to the season - better to dip in performance & still get a win or two here & there than to do it in the finals. Maitland had a fantastic win against the slime but the big question with Maitland as always is whether they can carry this ability away from home. In the past it has been a bit of a lottery with the Blacks when they play away. Slime, well maybe this was just a blip or maybe it is the start of a slide - we'll see. Extraordinary stuff out at the Lake with Hamilton giving up a kickable penalty with 4min to go to end up drawing with the much improved Roos who are become real smokies for the GF this year. Very happy to see my club Uni get a win, even if it is over Singo who have had not been playing well this season.

Womens Rugby: Games this weekend postponed due to weather. Newcastle Uni women's, unless we lose the last 2 round games (provided we still play the recent rained out round) will wrap up the minor premiership for 2012. The last round was 17-10 to Uni over Wanderers. Hamilton v Merewether was cancelled due to the ground being unsuitable - we have had some bad weather.

Latest Rugby News Mag:

http://www.portprint.com.au/rugbynewsissue16/

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The latest Herald articles, the first about the big Friday night (TONIGHT!) premier 1 clash between a predicted favourite for the title this year Merewether-Carlton Greens against the surprise improvers Lake Macquarie Roos. If the Roos lose it may greatly effect their finals chances & in the case of the Slime they need to get back on track after their loss to Maitland last week. I would back the Slime but I'm hoping for an upset win by Lake Mac who have not seen finals action for some time.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...igmatch-vibe-of-merewether-clash/2651032.aspx

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...patient-plan-for-returning-hawks/2650507.aspx

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...back-from-trauma-for-title-fight/2650506.aspx

Rugby News Mag Latest including the letter from Nick Farr-Jones talking to clubs about behaviour towards referees & stressing respect:
http://www.portprint.com.au/rugbynewsissue17/

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
On TUESDAY I could really feel spring in the air! And here we know what that means - it's getting into the finals time of year! Different to any other part of the year & should be embraced as such!

Lake Mac still in it in premier 1. Must beat Wanderers. Here is a good story on 29 yr old Junior To'o from Lake Mac. Formally played Rugby in Sydney, knocked back offers from Toulon, ACT, & the Reds! Loves his music, took bit of a break from Rugby to pursue it. Sang with Bones Thugs-n-harmony, just outside the top 12 in 2007 Oz Idol, looking to get on The Voice now. His first assignment though is a Rugby one - knock off Wanderers this weekend.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...p-for-finals-with-lake-macquarie/2653850.aspx

In women's Rugby this Saturday we have the semis. 1st (Uni) v 2nd (Wanderers) at just past a 6:00pm start, & 3rd (Merewether) v 4th (Hamilton) at 4:45pm start. Both games will be at Bernie Curran (No.1 Sportsground at Uni - i.e. Uni's Homeground). The GF qualifier next week & the GF the following week after that will also be played there.

Uni & Wanderers will be desperate to win as always but even more so to get a weekend off from playing. Uni's numbers at the start of the season started well but now for this game due to injury & some players unavailable for other reasons will look to have x2 wingers & x1 forward on the bench, pending the health of one of the Uni locks we may have no forward reserves. Wanderers I believe have a healthier bench. This time of year Uni seems to be plagued with injury & unavailable players :mad:. Uni played a very sloppy game against Harps where they ran out convincing winners, Wanderers played a much tougher game against Slime who had them at a draw at half time before Wanderers went away with it in the 2nd half - I know what game I'd choose for better preparation.

Slime v Harps is the other game. Harps have fallen off greatly, they were smashed 94-0 in the last round game against Uni after what was a very competitive start to the season. That being said they had 5 regular & experienced players missing from the starting line-up. It is believed they'll be back for the finals. Slime have been beaten by Harps earlier in the year but have also come good pushing Wanderers in the last two outings. Slime have made a number of GF appearances a few years back, for the Harps it would have to be near 10yrs since their last appearance. Harps are sick of coming in the last placed team for the last few years & they have the players to beat the Slime but I think the Slime may get over here.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Latest Rugby Mag:

http://www.portprint.com.au/rugbynewsissue18/

An important note is that the men's Premier grades Grand finals (whether the are at No.1 or No.2 in Cooks Hill) will be purchased through Proticket to avoid the massive congestion that occurs Grand final day. The aim is to get people in the ground quicker. Next weeks Rugby news will have the details for purchasing these. I hope on the door purchases will still be available - not everyone in the Rugby community is handy with the internet.

In the Rugby mag I like the "Adopt a Junior Program" that is run at the Hawks. It gives the juniors a look in to the senior ranks, essentially hanging out with mens premier 1 players, being there for the jumper preso, pre game warm up, pre game hype, then accompanying the premier 1 players as they run out. I like stuff like that.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
THE BIG WRITE UP: WOMENS SEMI FINALS GAMES POST GAME WASH UP (Games from 25th/AUG/12)/+ PREVIEW OF ELIMINATION FINAL NEXT WEEK

Uni v Wanderers: My team Uni went into this game with 1 winger on the bench, less than we thought we'd have. Both back line & forward pack had to reshuffle. I was at lock. Our pre-game inspiration was our capt recalling the story of the 300 Spartans.

Wanderers remained unchanged from what I saw, with a fuller bench but one of their very good experienced players appeared to sound badly effected by the flu. They had one of their previous outside backs now playing in the pack who was not at our previous game.

We played in front of a pretty decent crowd at around just past 6pm (earlier game was 4:45pm). Our bench had a few of our injured players looking on as well. I could see my Ma was watching while listening to the Bled over the radio - depressing.

Scrums were a good contest but Uni came out just a bit better there. Very good job given the lock combo was newish & our whole pack had no replacements. Uni was slightly better at the line-out. Both teams hate losing to each other & that was evident in the defense of both teams which was amazing. Breakdown work was even Stevens. Both teams had chances to put on tries but held each other out.

Uni probably had more try scoring opportunities & we really seem to be missing a killer blow. We go for too many forward phases. I was told a pass I made out to our winger who fumbled it was not on which was BS. If you are 5m out what is better? Running into the opposition forward pack or passing it out to a screaming player who has nothing but grass & the try line in front of the them? It has been a problem of Uni all year which as a team we have failed to address. I am on my own here in regards to my team but I believe in the motto "Who dares wins" not "Lets play predicable".

Wanderers had x2 penalty kicks that they missed early on but they were not easy attempts, they got a 3rd more easy attempt. About 10min to go Uni got a penalty & we squared it up 3-all.

The game ended 3-all & as minor premiers Uni get to go through to our 2nd grand final in a row. The main pleasing thing for me about my teams game was that this had to be the first time in the season we played so short & yet it was the first time we kept up our intensity against Wanderers - we've had a tendency to switch off.

Wanderers will be looking to meet us in the GF but now they must play Merewether-Carlton who smacked Hamilton Harps in the game before ours 45-0.

It was a very disappointing effort from the Harps who started the season so well & had beaten Merewether a few times. Their coach, who is a really nice bloke as well as he is knowledgeable about Rugby, has worked very hard with them over the last few seasons. They seemed to have just ran out of gas come finals time.

I was warming up for my match so I did not get to see this game. I am going to thoroughly enjoy being a spectator next weekend (as Uni get the next weekend off) to watch the carnage that will unfold between the Greens & the Two Blues (Wanderers). Our team really needs it too as we have a couple of girls coming back from NZ & may 1 or 2 more from injury.

Preview Wanderers v Greens (Venue: TBA, I thought all were at Uni but this could be at another location, will edit & update ASAP):

I say Wanderers will probably go through. Merewether start very well against Wanderers. Last game they played them they were drawn at 1/2 time then going into the 2nd half Wanderers just went away with it. Last game one of the Greens told me a penalty went against them which gave Wanderers the lead & she believes that was the point they cracked & the flood gates opened.

Merewether can win next week but it is critical they stick with Wanderers the whole game. Wanderers will not go away at any stage. If the Greens don't crack, things will get interesting. A number of former Uni players are at the Greens this year due to Uni having started the year with incredibly large numbers in the squad (could do with some of those numbers back now). The former Uni players are very experienced & could be the difference. Looking forward to watching this.

Phew, that's all from me for now. I'm still icing my body after last nights game & woke up like a train had hit me at 3pm in the afternoon. Apparently all my team mates of all ages are feeling the same this morning!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lake Mac story on their victory over Wanderers in Premier 1:

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...eap-over-two-blues-into-playoffs/2654958.aspx

Wanderers (& my pick as winner for 2012) are now out. Word on the street is not many were turning up for training. Disappointing if true, I felt at the beginning the Two Blues were a good thing but it ain't the first time I've been wrong.

This is fantastic for LM. As the article states the best they have finished since being promoted to Premier Rugby is 7th in 2002. They have battled at the bottom most recent years. Last year Lake Mac premier 1 did not win a game. According to one commentator LM 1sts have not made the semis since the 70s. Congrats all round for the players & coaching staff. I am looking forward to seeing how Lake Mac go.

The only disappointing thing was that some of the Lake Mac supporters apparantly went over the top in regards to their opposition Wanderers. I can understand a bit of banter & passion as a lot was on the line & people really tend to hate Wanderers but it sounds to me like it was overly abusive & way over the line. This is of course info via 3rd party comments that I'm going by. If it is true then poor form for sure & I would not want to see a repeat of this in the finals. It may well have been the reason Wanderers (edit: not all but a fair portion of Wanderers) did not turn up for a drink after the game or maybe they were tired, had enough, etc.

LM must now take on Maitland at Lorn which will be a cracker.

I'll have a bit more time this week to do a finals write up for the mens as I'll be watching who I'll be taking on in the women's GF - not actually playing this week. Looking to get out & support my clubs last standing mens team Premier 3.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Herald latest, note they've changed the look of their website:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/276805/dillon-rowney-holds-key-to-maitlands-chances/?cs=306

The first Rugby News Mag of the finals series:

http://www.portprint.com.au/rugbynewsissue19/

Minor Premiers & through to next week of finals already:

Premier 1 Hamilton
Premier 2 Maitland
Premier 3 Maitland
Colts Hamilton
Women's University
A Grade Sth Lakes
B Grade Sth Lakes
C Grade East Maitland

This week:

Premier finals at Maitland Lorn, First games starting at 10:45am

Qualifying Semis PREMIER (Maitland, Lorn) 1st/Sep/12

P3 Wanderers v University (Head says Wanderers as they have beaten my guys twice this year, heart says Uni for the upset)

PColts Merewether v Sth Beaches (Close call, my pick is Southern Beaches)

P2 Hamilton v Wanderers (My pick is Wanderers)

P1 Southern Beaches v Merewether (Super close, both teams can beat each other. I'll go with Merewether, they have not played as well as last season but they have good experience. Beaches in uncharted territory here in P1)

Elimination Semis PREMIER (Maitland, Lorn) 2nd/Sep/12

P3 Hamilton v Merewether (Pick is Hamilton, have the wood on Merewether most of the year)

PColts Nelson Bay v Singleton (I'm going for Nelson Bay but I think Singleton could get up here)

P2 Merewether v Southern Beaches (Merewether my pick)

P1 Maitland v Lake Mac (Maitland very strong at home usually, Lake Mac have not been this far before I believe, did they already play their GF last round against Wanderers? Shaping up to be a very tight game. I'm tipping Maitland but would not be surprised if Lake Mac win either if they keep their emotions in check & play to the best of their ability.)

Womens Elimination Final Sat 1st/Sep/12, Hosted by Uni ("Bernie Curran" - No.1 Sportsground)

4:45pm Wanderers v Merewether (Tip Wanderers, Merewethers only chance is to play out the whole game & not just the first half)

Sat 1st/Sep/12 Major Semi Finals - 1st & 2nd Division, Hosted by Griffins Rugby Club at Walters Park, Speers Point

11.50 amC GradeEast MaitlandvWanderers
1.10 pmB GradeSouthern LakesvCooks Hill
2.30 pmA GradeSouthern LakesvCooks Hill

Sun 2nd/Sep/12 Minor Semi Finals - First & Second Division, Hosted by Griffins Rugby Club at Walters Park, Speers Point

11.50 amC GradeMerewether CarltonvCessnock
1.10 pmB GradeMuswellbrookvGriffins
2.30 pmA GradeMuswellbrookvGriffins

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
RESULTS:

Qualifying Semis PREMIER (Maitland, Lorn) 1st/Sep/12

P3 Wanderers 10 v University 17 (YES! What an upset! My boys had not beaten Wanderers all season but get the one that matters!)

PColts Merewether 20 v Sth Beaches 19 (Saw the first bit of this game - very, very tight between these two, got the results after returning home)

P2 Hamilton 40 v Wanderers 7 (I am really putting the kiss of death on my picks this week, aside from the one that mattered - Uni :p:D)

P1 Southern Beaches 17 v Merewether 25 (Predicted this one!)

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
RESULTS:

Womens Elimination Final 2012:

Wanderers 19 v Merewether 12

I watched this game. Merewether will say this was the one that got away. Wanderers will say it was a great effort by them to claw their way back & win. It was both.

Pre game both teams looked pumped going through their warm-up. Merewether as I said have done very well in the first half of games this year. Early on it was Merewether who was winning to opening exchanges. After a few forwards phases the Greens spun it to the backs & they were in. What felt like about 10 or so minutes later the Greens kicked for the corner, the bounce was a shocker for the Wanderers full back on her own & the Greens regather to go in again. Score 12-0.

Wanderers after working their way up field were too hard to hold out & they went over for a try but did not convert 12-5. Then half time. From what I saw of the first half Greens had more possession & the bulk of the game was being played mid field. Merewether looked very dangerous on the attack but Wanderers did do well in shutting down some of the much larger Greens forwards. Wanderers dropped a lot of ball but they did look good on the counter, their set piece seemed better than Merewethers.

After half time the 2nd half looked pretty much the same as the first half. Greens I have to say put up a massive fight & as I said they have a tendency to go away in the 2nd half but looking at them in the 2nd half in this final I thought at one moment that it would be them we'd be meeting in the GF. Wanderers however do not go away & sometime mid way into the 2nd half you could feel they were working their way into it. After a number of hit-ups the Greens just could not hold them out & Wanderers went in & converted to make the score 12-all.

At this point Wanderers would go through in the event of a draw as they are higher on the table than Greens. Greens knew they need to get back in front. Wanderers made their way back down field again & in what had to be the last minute of so of the game went in for another try & converted to make the final score 19-12.

The game saw x2 broken legs occur, one from each team. We had the paramedics turn up. Both players are good (as good as you can be with a broken leg).

There was one controversial moment in the 2nd half it appeared that under Greens pressure one of the Wanderers knocked a ball on that was on the ground but the referee did not see it. This was 5m out from the Wanderers goal line & would have given the Greens a massive opportunity. Other than that the referee was excellent & TBH I think there was a player in the road that obstructed his view of the incident.

Greens were understandably disappointed. Wanderers understandably elated. From a Uni perspective we know we will be in for a hell of a game facing Wanderers who have more Grand final experience than any other side.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
RESULTS:

FIRST & SECOND DIVISION

Major Semi Finals 2012
A GradeSouthern Lakes19vCooks Hill20
B GradeSouthern Lakes29vCooks Hill12
C GradeEast Maitland22vWanderers 3

UPDATE Sunday Results:
Minor Semi Finals - Sunday
A GradeMuswellbrook33vGriffins13
B GradeMuswellbrook26vGriffins3
C GradeMerewether Carlton28vCessnock15

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
RESULTS:

Elimination Semi Finals - Sunday
P1 Maitland 16 v Lake Macquarie 23
P2 Merewether Carlton 29 v Southern Beaches 7
PColts Nelson Bay 13 v Singleton 20
P3Hamilton 28 v Merewether Carlton 8

These are the scores so far. I am 3/4 tips correct, better work of it today. P1 game still going.

UPDATE: NHRU webpage has not confirmed but I checked Lake Mac Facebook page & they are saying the Roos have beaten The Blacks in P1 23-16 at the Blacks home ground! Massive result! Some very excited Roos celebrating at Maitland right now apparently! As stated this was their first finals appearance & now they will be going deeper into the finals. That makes me 3/4 picks. Commiserations to Maitland but holy smokes that is a huge & very interesting result. Lake Mac the bolter is through.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Been preparing for my own teams GF tomorrow so not quite up to speed on my picks. Hoping though for a Uni mens win in premier 3 to go through to their GF & obviously the Uni womens team.

Lake Mac in premier 1 have a real chance to knock off Southern Beaches also.

Latest news:

Very interesting forward pack from the Greens

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/305956/adam-happy-to-hook-in-for-good-of-greens/?cs=306

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/305944/coach-cuts-it-fine-in-airport-dash/?cs=306

http://www.portprint.com.au/rugbynewsissue20/

Status
Not open for further replies.