• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NFL Post-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'm a big fan of NFL and I know a couple of other guys here are too. My team just smashed the Bengals to get into the playoffs. Woohoo! Go Jets!

Eddo? Rustycruiser? You out there?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah, was watching that game today, domination with a capital d. Surely the Bengals cant bounce back from that, even with the home advantage. Love watching a bit of NFL when I have the time. Don't have a particular team per se, but have been quietly supporting the Vikings this season with Brett Favre playing so well.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i'm honestly not sure what to make of this past week's games. some teams didn't play their starters for very long as there wasn't much to play for in some cases. it's also interesting because 3 games are now going to be repeats in the 1st round of the playoffs with cowboys-eagles, cardinals-packers, and bengals-jets all facing off again.

i wouldn't be surprised to see the losers from this week do well next week. i think some were holding back or just not trying at all outright.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
The Jets could easily lose if the Bengals get their run-defence organised. We don't have a Plan B: it's just run-defend-run-defend.

It's true that at the business end of the season you need a team that can run and defend, but I can't see the Jets getting much further, when they are effectively playing without a QB.

If Sanchez fulfils his potential, though, I think my long suffering support for the Jets might pay off in the next 3-5 years.

Brett Favre is always worth watching. Keeps the play alive forever then finds someone open for half a second. Simply the best.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sorry, late to the party.

So even though half the games are over, let me give you my "expert" predictions for this weekend.

Bengels over Jets
Eagles over Dallas
Ravens over Pats
Packers over Cards

So 0 and 2 so far. Like I said, expert. I really thought the Iggles and Cinci would show up this week after laying duds last week. So much for that. Cowboys head to the Viking next week, and the Jets wait to see the result of the Baltimore/NE game to see where they are playing. The Ravens game is the only one I really give a shit about. Hell, I am from Baltimore. No Wes Welker is a huge plus. Losing 120 catches and 1400 yards is a killer fo any team. The Ravens should have won their regular season matchup. If not for a simple Mark Clayton drop, they would have. A win over the Pats will earn Baltimore a trip to San Diego, which is preferred as Indy has owned the Ravens over the last 6 plus years. Ideally, we need to beat the Pats, beat the Bolts, have the Jets beat Indy, and then we host the Jets in Baltimore for the AFC Championship.

And pigs fly.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Whoops. Jets are 5th seed, we are the 6th seed. So a trip to Indy if we win. Greeeeaaaaattt.

24 - 0 to the Ravens after the 1st quarter. The Ravens defense is on fire. Multiple turnovers baby. Thats how we role!

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
So I went one for four on the weekend. But I don't give a shit, cause the one I picked right was my Ravens. Whoo hoo!

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
rc, i support the pats, and i have to say that was a pretty clinical dismissal today by your ravens. never thought this was the pats year, but i was expecting a better show than that. well done.

thought the packers and cardinals game was the most entertaining game of the weekend. what a shoot out. can't wait for next weekend.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
J-e-t-s Jets!

I felt sorry for the Bengals. They really didn't regroup after Chris Henry's death.

I've only seen the highlights but it looked like Sanchez threw a few passes, so we have some kind of chance against the Seahawks.

Watched the Baltimore game. Pats couldn't take a trick. What's with Randy Moss? Couldn't get away from defence all day.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
All the good defensive teams (except for the packers) won this weekend - the jets have the best defense in the league statistically and a defensive mastermind as a coach, the cowboys have the most unstopable defence at the moment and the ravens defence has been doing this for 10 years. The last few super bowl winning teams have all had great defences and a running game to lean on. The cold weather makes passing even harder yet this year none of the stadiums appear to have the weather as a factor.

Unlucky for the Jets because they have to play the chargers who are probably the best team in the nfl at the moment. Their offense is near unstoppable with Phillip Rivers, Antonio Gates and the double headed running game of LT and sproles.

The Vikings Cowboys game should be good but Dallas seem to be too good at the moment. they have the largest o-line in the league and if they can manage to maintain jarred allen and the williams duo the dallas could win. the shutdown of philly's passing game by the dallas secondary's is positive for dallas as minnesota have focused more on their aerial attack instead of ground.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Didn't know you followed the NFL Lindo. Got a team?

Should be some very cold and snowy games next week.

Rusty, I don't think the Colts are as good as their record suggested up until a couple of weeks ago. They got lucky a few times. They're beatable, for sure.

The Dallas-Minnesota game certainly looks the highlight of the round.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
P.S. Can somebody perhaps PM me about how I might be able to watch games ...

:thumb Thank you

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The earlier report under my name was composed by His Majesty, the stringbean second-rower you met at the Lord Nelson at our Christmas piss-up. I know SFA about American football, he knows quite a bit.

Must do something about changing my password.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Late to the party again. My picks for this weekend are

Cards over Saints
Ravens over Colts
Cowboys over Vikings
Chargers over Jets

0 for 1 so far. Reggie Bush had a blinder, and Kurt Warner got knocked out effectivly in the first half to allow the Saimnts to run away with the victory. Ravens Colts in progress already. 3 zippy to Indy early in the first quarter.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Half time. All Colts. Leading 17 - 3. As I feared (and expected). God damn Colts. This will be the 8th win in a row for the old Baltimore team over the new Baltimore team.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
rustycruiser said:
Half time. All Colts. Leading 17 - 3. As I feared (and expected). God damn Colts. This will be the 8th win in a row for the old Baltimore team over the new Baltimore team.

pretty monstrous streak isn't it? considering that the ravens aren't too bad of a team. would love to see it broken but only one half of play left.

for tomorrow's games i'm going with minny and sd. i think romo will finally do something stupid (he's overdue) and minny at home is a good advantage. the jets d is good but i'm not sure they can contain rivers. he just doesn't give up. and i don't think the rookie qb will get lucky twice.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Newb said:
rustycruiser said:

pretty monstrous streak isn't it? considering that the ravens aren't too bad of a team. would love to see it broken but only one half of play left.

Colts vs Ravens was pretty dull. Ravens had absolutely nothing in the passing game. It wasn't just the 5 drops, none of their receivers could get any seperation. They really need to get some wide receivers and maybe even a replacement for Todd Heap.

Colts looked like they had plenty of gas in the tank and didn't have to play with a huge amount of intensity. They're well placed.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
agreed naza. when you're leading receiver is 35 and had to get talked out of retirement before the season started you got problems. even worse when a running back is second on that list.

both winners from today look strong. maybe tomorrow will be more of a contest.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Awful game. The Ravens where plain shit. Hopefully the two games today make up for the boring blowouts yesterday.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
vikings well on their way to another blow out. i'm not very confident in the jets keeping close either. might be headed for 4 of a kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.