• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NH Rays v NSW Country Eagles, NRC round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Don't judge an 18 year-old on one Under 20 game if you haven't seen him play there against his contemporaries as others have week after week when he was at school a year ago - and the two years before that against older players.

He is playing in the right spot now but I think you will be pleased how he plays at fullback once he finds his feet in senior rugby.

Watch this space.

I will keep a keen eye on him. He is something special.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
All Brookie games and looking for an opposition for the last game - they may have found one by now.

So it is the Emerging Rays who are playing before every home game - I was thinking from a NSW Colts point of view and they were playing every week at some Sydney ground to look at them for the 2015 Under 20s.

Now I get it.

It would be good if every NRC team could do the same thing, and better still if it was just Under 19s.

However I can see that the NRC outfits would be more interested in looking at emerging players who can step up immediately into the NRC if there is an injury.

Most Under 19 players wouldn't be seasoned enough to do so.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Snip.

I also noticed the name of Harry Rorke who went to league after representing Oz Schools in 2012. It's good to have this lad back in Union if it is the same Harry Rorke.

I can confirm that it is the same Harry Rorke that you had in mind, LG. He's playing for Gordon. My understanding is that his brief stint in league was less than satisfying.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for that - well, he was certainly a dominating forward at schools level in rugby union so I hope that he can get that back, a couple of years later now.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
007 - I'm really confused with the selections - just don't follow;
  • Hingano - was running with the Next Gen Waratahs at the beginning of the year - had a strong Shute season with an injury that sidelined him at the back end.
  • Porecki - he equaled Roach in that semi against Eastwood, played a very strong 60 minutes against the Rising Super 15 team. Has has good form all season.
  • Lucas - he played half the Shute season before hurting his knee and made the list for the Catchpole, played well against the rising.
  • 5/8th Angus has been caught wanting - not sure there.
  • Back 3 - did the Tah's retain Crawford for any reason, it'd be nice playing a player that'll be running around next season - BJ for mine. Plus Northam, and the Third maybe that fijian from the Rats?
There were some very very odd backline selections last night.

Holmes was ponderously slow last night - I think SS is his level now.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Come on Dave,most of those guys couldn't make Marlins 1's this year.

I think the biggest problem for the Rays is they have swapped Blake for turtle in the coaching set up.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
D
Come on Dave,most of those guys couldn't make Marlins 1's this year.
disagree 100% - looking at next year.
Lucas half a season before knee and he made the Catchpole list.
Reece Hodge injured and not even looked at
Northam
Hingano injuries hurt his season
Foketi rebels
Jones hearing you rats 2s but looking at the future.
BJ - he had a good season and would have been in my 1s.

And the only players I'd replace them with are marlins or rats players - I didn't and have seen a back from Nths or Gordon that should start. sorry don't want to offend.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I don't think he was that bad last night, and his kicking game is proven at Super level. Nowhere near being dropped for BJ Hartmann.
I have no love for Crawford this year,but he is 4 grades above BJ.
Blake was desperate to find an alternative to him this year.
Not at this grade,ever.

The players listed above are all young and I'd like to see how they go, last year I'd have said the same with regards to BJ - not this year, but each to there views.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
The big problem for the Rays is that the 3 other Clubs don't offer many players that are significantly better than what Manly had in First Grade this year. There are several players that are equivalent to the Manly players but IMO the Rays are probably weaker overall compared to Manly as they lack combinations. However, it would be an unhappy JV if they just picked the Manly team.
As a result, some of the selections are debatable but I am not convinced that the changes will make much difference. I would give Lucas a go and see if it gets the backline going.
Unless they can come together to form a side of a higher standard than First Grade, they are going to be sitting at the wrong end of the table.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You're lucky you're not stuck with Dane Chisholm like the Rams are.

Interesting player, missed out on top point scorer by 1 point with 8 fewer games than the player that took it out. Still plays like a leaguie but became more adapted to the 15 man game as the season progressed.
Good hands and feet and will be interesting to watch as he develops.

I could agree, or disagree he's the sort of płayer that could leave egg on faces as he has sporting talent.

I'm more concerned about our selections and combo development.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It was probably the best "game" I have seen in the NRC so far, but I am getting over this tackling optional stuff, big hits at times, but average defense

Also I don't see how producing a hybrid game that works to Aus's strengths whilst ignoring our weaknesses is helpful in the medium to long term

Yes, we can play tackle optional fast and loose rugby, but real rugby is about competing for the ball and especially at set piece, and ruck time, and maul time

How exactly is it a 'hybrid' game? Which game is it being split with? Don't say League because that's clearly not the cases. The law variations have had very little structural effect on the game. The scrims have been clean and performed in a timely manner. The lineouts have been good. The refs are enforcing the need to actually attempt to throw the ball in straight. Even the ruck has been good which often tends to be the main issue non Rugby fans gripe about. Hell,
there have been a number of tries scored from driving mauls. Sure looks like Rugby.

As for the defence. There were 7 tries scored last night in comparison to the 10 in the first round and 9 in the second. Defences could be stiffer but when you go down this path you find mismatches and they get exploited. As those players who are one of mismatches he's improve that will improve. However, it's not as if the defences in many of the ITM Cup games are much better. A number of the Currie Cup games have been try fests as well.

There's a lot of adjustment going on here. Both players and coaches are bedding in to a whole new level of play one that is played at a cracking pace.

Finally, I find the skills comment a little odd. So far the three TV games have been in the wet. That will have adverse effect in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.