• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemishpere Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Would top off a marvellous few weeks for Scottish rugby if Glasgow could pull off a win.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Reactions: deL

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Here are the teams for tonights Pro12 final:

Leinster: Rob Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy, Zane Kirchner, Jimmy Gopperth, Eoin Reddan, Cian Healy, Sean Cronin, Mike Ross, Devin Toner, Mike McCarthy, Rhys Ruddock, Shane Jennings, Jamie Heaslip.
Replacements: Aaron Dundon, Jack McGrath, Martin Moore, Leo Cullen, Sean O'Brien, Isaac Boss, Ian Madigan, Darragh Fanning.

That Leinster pack must be a bottler if SOB can only get a bench spot.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That Leinster pack must be a bottler if SOB can only get a bench spot.

He dislocated his shoulder in September against Ulster and wasn't expected to play again this season. Leinster are understandably taking a cautious approach to his re-introduction with him restricted to a bench spot.

The backrow is probably one of the strongest areas in the Leinster squad with a lot of young talent coming through in recent seasons.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Very exciting ending to that one Saints with the try at the death to win it 24-20. Not been a great week for Sarries.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Good win for Leinster in the Pro12 final. First half was pretty close with a 14-12 lead. BOD's final game only lasted 9 minutes but overall he's had a pretty satisfying final season.

I thought that the subs really helped us to kick on in the second half. I'm still unconvinced by our attacking patterns, there's a lot of work to do in that area if we're going to be competitive in Europe next year.

Glasgow didn't score a try but they showed plenty of ambition and created gaps in the Leinster defence. They just couldn't find that killer pass. If I were a Glasgow fan I'd be delighted with their season and very optimistic for next year.

Final score was 34-12 as Leinster ran in 2 tries in quick succession to wrap the game up late on.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Would top off a marvellous few weeks for Scottish rugby if Glasgow could pull off a win.

If you are referring to Scotland's money from BT after they stabbed the other Celtitalian unions in the back and bent over for their English masters, then I think you might find that that particular Faustian pact will be disastrous for the game in Scotland in the long term.

Sure, BT's bribe might have cleared some debt but the English teams will be circling for Scottish players and they now have bigger, relative, revenues to secure them.

Oh yes and thanks to the SRU the unions have now lost control of the game in Europe and already the Nigels are pushing to undermine the international game, which is going to have massive repercussions for the game in the Southern Hemisphere. Oh well, at least the Scots are alright Jack. Pleased Glasgow were stuffed by Leinster.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If you are referring to Scotland's money from BT after they stabbed the other Celtitalian unions in the back and bent over for their English masters, then I think you might find that that particular Faustian pact will be disastrous for the game in Scotland in the long term.

Sure, BT's bribe might have cleared some debt but the English teams will be circling for Scottish players and they now have bigger, relative, revenues to secure them.

Oh yes and thanks to the SRU the unions have now lost control of the game in Europe and already the Nigels are pushing to undermine the international game, which is going to have massive repercussions for the game in the Southern Hemisphere. Oh well, at least the Scots are alright Jack. Pleased Glasgow were stuffed by Leinster.

Oh shove it up your arse.

The games been on a downhill spiral for years. Scotland's cradle, The Borders, pretty much withdrew all their support when the reivers became unfeasible. The amateur game has been torn apart and we haven't managed to turn up consistently in internationals for more than a decade.

The deal clears ALL of the 8 figure debt. It ensures the futures of not only Glasgow and Edinburgh, but the Scottish Men's and Women's Sevens sides.

It pumps cash back into the club levels, hopefully leading to the establishment of a proper Semi professional tier.

And it'll bring back the Caledonia Reds and the Border Reivers at U20 level, removing our reliance on the English schooling system to develop our youngsters.

The SRU could be accused of not doing right by International Rugby. But they fought the English and French clubs a lot more than Wales or Italy did, accepted a compromise reluctantly and never threatened to leave.

They've now secured Scottish Rugby for a long time. They found themselves in a potentially shitty situation and used it to their advantage.

I didn't feel bad about losing. Its always tough at the RDS, and this was BODs last game. Your comment almost changed that opinion.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The WRU and FIR stood four square with the IRFU and FFR, the SRU were the scabs who broke the solidarity. So as long as Scottish rugby was alright they were happy to stab everyone in the back at five minutes to midnight even if if fucked them over. When Scotland are playing in the second division of European rugby against Georgia and Romania you will only have yourselves to blame for your shortsighted self interest. Not sure your masters at PRL/ BT will be so interested in your 'product' then. EDIT and I have just seen you used the word compromise, Jesus there was no compromise, it was complete capitulation by the SRU to PRL/ BT, compromise my arse. I have less issue with the Welsh regions bending over for the English because they think they are in an existential fight with their Union but the SRU stabbed their fellow unions in the back for unilateral gain and I don't think it will be forgotten in a hurry.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The Welsh regions and the FIR for the last 12 months have seriously discussed leaving the Pro12. You decided to leave that out.

The SRU had been asked to make a decision. Do what's right for Scotland in the short to medium term, or hurt themselves for" potential damage" to the Irish and SH sides, and that would maybe benefit them 30 years from now when Georgia and Romania become Italy 2.0.

As much as I like Australia and Ireland, forgive me if my sympathy levels are approximately zero.

The money and sponsorship does more for us than the second automatic spot ever has.

The 20th spot should have gone to the Pro12, yes. Otherwise this day was coming. As soon as the English and French Clubs voiced their disagreement, the reduction to 20 teams was coming. Connacht was worse than piss this season, they'll not be in it, they don't deserve to be in it. Neither do the Wasps, but I think I covered that.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The Welsh regions are in an open state of civil war with their union, you neglected to mention that. The Italians were angling to reduce their compensation agreement for participation in the pro 12 and were never remotely serious about pulling out of the league.

At least you are honest about it being naked Scottish self interest. I hope the IRFU demonstrate the same level of self interest the next time the English chuck their toys. With the largest travelling/ ex pat support of any teams in the world, Irish teams will be considerably more marketable than Scottish teams.

Oh and please remind me the last time Glasgow beat Toulouse in Toulouse as Connacht did this year? And when Glasgow managed to make it out of their Heineken cup group? Sure this year you have managed to build some momentum and get a top six finish, let's see whether you manage to follow up next year or whether you and Edinburgh will be back to scrapping for the Scottish place in the Nigels cup 'on merit' by finishing seventh.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
How Droll.

Assuming "Merit" Is sixth place or better in the Celtic League only in 3 season has no scottish team qualified. In 03/04, 06/07 & 10/111.

In both 02/03, and 07/08 Glasgow and Edinburgh both qualified on merit.

Don't get me wrong. Ireland will do fine. They always have, and they always will.

But Scotland simply cannot afford to do so. If hatred is the price we have to pay for survival and potentially doing better than that, well, feel free to call me Joe Stalin, and the SRU the Soviet Union.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Sadly Stephen Ferris has confirmed his retirement at the age of 28. Devastated for the fella, a monstrous player even though he was really playing on one leg for most of his career. The pick up and carry of Genua in the last RWC set the tone for Ireland's win. Best of luck to him.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Could have been one of Irelands all time greats if he had stayed fit, such a shame to lose him when he should be coming into his prime

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Ireland side to face Argentina on Sunday morning (4:30 am kick off Sydney time, Fox Sports 2)

Ireland: Felix Jones [Munster]; Andrew Trimble [Ulster], Darren Cave [Ulster], Luke Marshall [Ulster], Simon Zebo [Munster]; Jonathan Sexton [Racing Metro 92], Conor Murray [Munster]; Jack McGrath [Leinster], Rory Best [Ulster], Mike Ross [Leinster]; Iain Henderson [Ulster], Paul O'Connell [Munster] capt; Robbie Diack [Ulster], Chris Henry [Ulster], Jordi Murphy [Leinster]
Replacements: Damien Varley [Munster], Dave Kilcoyne [Munster], Rodney Ah You [Connacht], Devin Toner [Leinster], Jamie Heaslip [Leinster], Kieran Marmion [Leinster], Ian Madigan [Leinster], Fergus McFadden [Leinster]

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Scotland Side to play USA, in Houston, Texas, 7.30pm Local, 1.30pm UK, 10.30am AEST.

Current Club sides for 14/15 listed

15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), 20 caps; 4 tries, 20 points
14 Sean Maitland (Glasgow Warriors), 9 caps; 1 try, 5 points
13 Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors), 86 caps; 60 points
12 Duncan Taylor (Saracens), 10 caps
11 Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby), 12 caps; 30 points

10 Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors), uncapped
9 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester), 29 caps; 3 tries, 242 points

1 Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors), uncapped
2 Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons), 43 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
3 Geoff Cross (London Irish), 28 caps; 1 try, 5 points
4 Richie Gray (Castres), 37 caps; 1 try, 5 points
5 Jim Hamilton (Montpellier), 55 caps; 1 try, 5 points
6 Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan), 38 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
7 Blair Cowan (London Irish), uncapped
8 Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier), 30 caps; 3 tries, 15 points

Substitutes

16 Pat MacArthur (Glasgow Warriors), 4 caps
17 Alex Allan (Glasgow Warriors), uncapped
18 Moray Low (Exeter Chiefs), 26 caps
19 Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby), 4 caps
20 Kieran Low (London Irish), 1 cap
21 Grayson Hart (Edinburgh Rugby), uncapped
22 Ruaridh Jackson (London Wasps), 23 caps; 18 points
23 Max Evans (Castres), 42 caps; 3 tries, 15 points

Russell, Reid, Cowan, Allan and Hart make their debuts.

7 Warriors
3 Gunners
13 Exiles (8- England, 5- France)

While certainly not our strongest side, it's hardly a poor one. Locks are pretty much at full strength, as is the back 3, if you swapped Seymour for Evans. Biggest issue will be in both the centres and fly half, as well as the conditions themselves.

Should be a win, but I dont think it will be particularly exciting.

USA 14 - 20 Scotland

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ireland side to face Argentina on Sunday morning (4:30 am kick off Sydney time, Fox Sports 2)

Ireland: Felix Jones [Munster]; Andrew Trimble [Ulster], Darren Cave [Ulster], Luke Marshall [Ulster], Simon Zebo [Munster]; Jonathan Sexton [Racing Metro 92], Conor Murray [Munster]; Jack McGrath [Leinster], Rory Best [Ulster], Mike Ross [Leinster]; Iain Henderson [Ulster], Paul O'Connell [Munster] capt; Robbie Diack [Ulster], Chris Henry [Ulster], Jordi Murphy [Leinster]
Replacements: Damien Varley [Munster], Dave Kilcoyne [Munster], Rodney Ah You [Connacht], Devin Toner [Leinster], Jamie Heaslip [Leinster], Kieran Marmion [Leinster], Ian Madigan [Leinster], Fergus McFadden [Leinster]

Looks a good team for development purposes. Good to see the new midfield pairing in Cave and Marshall. They should have a good understanding from Ulster. Also great to see Zebo back in the fold and with Trimble having finally become comfortable in green our wings looks more threatening than they have in years.

I hope Henderson benefits from playing alongside POC. I know he sees his future in the backrow but he offers a lot in the 2nd row too and might fight it easier to get caps there as backrow depth is pretty good.

Talking of the back row it will be interesting to see how this unit goes. Henry is the more established member but he's not long in the team himself. I hope that we're not relying on Heaslip to come off the bench and turn the tide for us.

It's a real pitty that Martin Moore misses out on this tour it would have been great to see himself and Jack McGrath continuing to develop in tandem. Still looking forward to see how Varley and Kilcoyne go from the bench. Hopefully they give Joe more selection headaches in the front row.

I hope we have a world class replacement for Plumtree in place pretty soon. He'll be a big miss.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Looking forward to see how Jordi Murphy goes at 8, hasn't been in favour recently with Leinster so will be a bit rusty. Shows our lack of depth at 8 that we have to call in someone far down the depth chart just to give Heaslip a rest

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Looking forward to see how Jordi Murphy goes at 8, hasn't been in favour recently with Leinster so will be a bit rusty. Shows our lack of depth at 8 that we have to call in someone far down the depth chart just to give Heaslip a rest
Coughlan should have gone, he was immense against Toulouse and Toulon. Ireland's next number 8 will be Jack O'Donoghue.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Draw has been made for the new super duper Nigels cup with knobs on. Munster have got the w'nkers, otherwise known as Saracens, Clermont and Sale.

Leinster have lucked out with two Rubbish English sides, Harlequins and Wasps and Castres.

Ulster are in a nightmare pool with Toulon, Leicester and Scarlets.

Saints have Racing metro, Ospreys and Treviso.

Glasgow have Montpellier, Bath and Toulouse to get hammered by.

All spiffing and meritocratic. Still no sign of any sponsors, I hope they don't get any.

Status
Not open for further replies.