• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nothing like getting ribbed in the papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Can you tell the test season is over?

Casey Laulala openly giving shit to Ben Blair, a good way to get things off for a move to Cardiff.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3822_5738681,00.html

Laulala keen to get stuck in
Described by many as one of the hardest players to contain in broken field play in the game, centre Casey Laulala is ready to go for Cardiff Blues. The 27-year old has arrived in Cardiff after leaving New Zealand on high following Canterbury's 28-20 Air New Zealand Cup win over Wellington in Christchurch.
This was the seventh time that Canterbury had won the domestic title, but the first time they had done it back-to-back in the provincial championship.
Speaking of leaving New Zealand, the Crusaders' Super 14 winner felt is was time for a change and is relishing the new challenge.

"It was good to leave Canterbury on a high having won the Air New Zealand Cup but I was ready for a change," said Laulala. "I wanted a change of lifestyle and living in Europe certainly appealed. However I also wanted a change of environment on the rugby front having played for the same team for seven years, so I was looking for something different."
"Playing in the Heineken Cup would be incredible. I watched the big Heineken Cup games on TV last season and they were awesome, but unfortunately the semi-final was decided on a kicking contest, which was a bit pathetic.

"It was impressive to see the amount of people that attended the matches as we don't have crowds that big in New Zealand. I think people are more passionate here - even in the Air New Zealand Cup final we only had a crowd of 10,000."

"There were a few teams including Munster who approached me, but having spoken to Dai Young and Bob Norster I was impressed with the way they went about the whole process and the way things were conducted."

Laulala made his debut for New Zealand against Wales in Cardiff in November 2004 and went on to play for the All Blacks against Ireland in 2006.

"The Blues also showed a lot of faith in me and followed me with interest when I injured my arm which was good to know as sometimes people get a bit down when they pick up injuries," he said. "The arm is fine now, I've played a lot of games since and it's as strong as ever."

"I used to play golf with Ben Blair back in Canterbury so we are big friends and he helped me make the decision. It will be good to see Ben again but I'm sure he will tell me all his kicking stats as soon as I see him.

"I'm sure we will go out for a game of golf to catch up, although he's the most frustrating guy to play golf against as he takes all day to get his swing and putting right."

On a side note.. 10,000 to the NPC final is a sign of the sorry state of Kiwi support for live games.. Coud be a good cherry for us to move in and nominate a combined competition.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
The Cardiff Blues are a shambles. In almost certain financial trouble, and having pissed off most of their most dedicated fans over the way they abandoned Cardiff Arms Park to become tenants of a football club out of town. There's going to be fun there yet, watch and see.

R

rugbywhisperer

eddo said:
I think they bought a dud in SNK too...
Isn't that tautology, it's like saying you bought an apple apple - SNK and dud go hand in hand - no need for the embellishment

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
rugbywhisperer said:
eddo said:
I think they bought a dud in SNK too...
Isn't that tautology, it's like saying you bought an apple apple - SNK and dud go hand in hand - no need for the embellishment

I think they bought a dud in SNK too... Fixed?

R

rugbywhisperer

Fearing severe repurcussions from those in higher places and possibility of a failing hair of horse, I place the SNK in a class of one hoppers (get it - one test wallabies) w alongside Lloyd Johannson, Nathan Spooner etc. where in normal circustances test beckoning would not have happened.
lets start at thread on One hoppers.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
article said:
Described by many as one of the hardest players to contain in broken field play in the game,

Can someone detail who comprises the "many"? Laulala is a good young player but jeez there's no room for smoke up his arse. Typical of PR.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm gonna back up PR on this one.
He is ' ard.. Damn hard to mark, Hard to keep him from off-loading..
And considering we have Cross starting at 13 for the Wallabies.. I would pick Laulala over him evrey day of the week.

I know he has struggled to make it stick with the All Blacks,.. but I would say his games have been far more consistant for them than JOC (James O'Connor) has been, or shit.. most of our guys. I don't remember him being shown up at all. I can assure you, he will tear up the centres in the UK.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
eddo said:
And considering we have Cross starting at 13 for the Wallabies.. I would pick Laulala over him evrey day of the week.

Which isn't saying much. On attack Cross is very capable, but his defence for outside centre just never found its feet.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
eddo said:
On a side note.. 10,000 to the NPC final is a sign of the sorry state of Kiwi support for live games.. Coud be a good cherry for us to move in and nominate a combined competition.
Having Aussie teams combined with NZ teams in an ANZAC comp would cheapen the Super Rugby, alienate the bigger market - SA - from SANZAR, affecting the 3N, and probably end up in worsening the NZ attendance figures after the novelty wears off. It is a stupid idea all round!

Make your own Provincial or Club comp and give it 10 years to take hold. Invest and build on the rivalries.

Reason for the poor crowd? Well, the rules haven't helped entertain anyone. Plus Wellington suck balls and choke in every final they get to, Super or ANZC whereas Canterbury never choke. I actually wonder if, with their winning ways, the Cantabs have also become blase, and it will take a fall from grace to break their complacency and involve them again...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The Safricans haven't given a fuck about Super Rugby until the last two years i.e. when they started winning. They think (like a lot of Kiwis) that its in the way of their domestic comp.

R

rugbywhisperer

And damned bloody great domestic comps they are also.
If wishes were horses -------

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
NTA said:
The Safricans haven't given a fuck about Super Rugby until the last two years i.e. when they started winning. They think (like a lot of Kiwis) that its in the way of their domestic comp.
I meant it would cheapen the Super product in the eyes of the paymasters...

As for Kiwi's and Super Rugby - it takes a good season for the people to care enough - Crusaders are the flagship there, Hurricanes fans are a bit more rabid than the Chiefs bunch, and then look at the Highlanders who beg for people to turn up. The Blues need to have a good season or they will be even more adrift from the ambivalent Aucklanders who would rather go sailing in a P-class, wearing Oakley frogskins, speedo's and stubbies while listening to Savage Garden than try and find a parking space at Eden Construction Site.

Status
Not open for further replies.