• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So confirming what we all knew that the Perth Spirit is no more

Presumably RugbyWA now get to keep the renamed Welborn-Hodgson Shield as a perpetual trophy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Presumably RugbyWA now get to keep the renamed Welborn-Hodgson Shield as a perpetual trophy.

Remind he again what this was or is this the Horan-Little Shield that you've claimed?

In other news, one of my prized childhood rugby possessions was John Welborn's Eastern Suburbs jersey I was given for racking up 50 junior games with the club.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Remind he again what this was or is this the Horan-Little Shield that you've claimed?

In other news, one of my prized childhood rugby possessions was John Welborn's Eastern Suburbs jersey I was given for racking up 50 junior games with the club.

"Was" being the operative word. Since it can no longer be won it remains the possession of the holder to do what they will.

Timmy's "brand" is not in the greatest order in the West. Jason is collateral making way for Hodgo.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Jokes aside, this NRC comp in its fifth year now doesn't show too many signs of kicking on.

Assuredly the standard of rugby will be pretty good and perhaps, with some luck, even a little better than last year. But it's not going to arrive on Australia's sporting radar screen anytime soon.

There's no chance of it on its current trajectory (and, to be fair, we've known it for a few years now).

Still, there'll be some decent rugby games to watch out of it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Stoked about Sydney playing games out of leichardt and concord oval as great places to watch games and selfishly close to home - even woolahara not that far so I am back on the Sydney bandwagon. Time to get behind the Sydney team people and attend some games.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That draw is very favourable to Sydney (surprise! surprise!). Four matches straight up in Sydney with the furthest travel to get to Woolahra. Contrast with the Rising who have Fiji, Townsville, Mudgee and Adelaide in the first four weeks. Vikings also have a relatively easy draw, but if Sydney don't win this year in a canter then there is little hope for them.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
They've changed everything about the Rays including their logo, but kept their name?

Thought I read somewhere that an existing contract with Macquarie Uni meant that the Rays name, and even logo, had to be maintained in 2018. They're possibly running women's sevens under that logo as well - I dunno.

It might still be a phase out after that arrangement expires. From the Tahs site, a glimpse of the Sydney jersey showed the "Sydney anchor" on the collar and manta ray logo on the chest. Will the ray stay or will the anchor move later?

sydney rays.jpg

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Jokes aside, this NRC comp in its fifth year now doesn't show too many signs of kicking on.

Assuredly the standard of rugby will be pretty good and perhaps, with some luck, even a little better than last year. But it's not going to arrive on Australia's sporting radar screen anytime soon.

There's no chance of it on its current trajectory (and, to be fair, we've known it for a few years now).

Still, there'll be some decent rugby games to watch out of it.

For it to kick on it needs a lot more time and resources invested in marketing and promoting the competition. The product is pretty damn good. People just need to know that it exists.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would also help on the marketing front I would think.

That's right we don't need to market the NRC, it already so popular with the general public.

RA again at their finest :mad:
RA are broke and no money to market NRC. Remember last year Twiggy was to sponsor NRC but I think that was part of his offer to RA that was rejected as part of having force reinstated to super rugby.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
RA are broke and no money to market NRC. Remember last year Twiggy was to sponsor NRC but I think that was part of his offer to RA that was rejected as part of having force reinstated to super rugby.

Same as saying "Bandar - you are abosolutely right!"

No?

I'll say it then. Bandar - astute observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.