• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Final : Vikings vs Qld Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Really looking forward to this game.

In particular the back row duel. Timu vs Valetini should be great viewing on its own.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Really looking forward to this game.

In particular the back row duel. Timu vs Valetini should be great viewing on its own.
So who you give the 6 Jersey to next year at the Brumbies Cusack or Valetini.. Both been amazing this NRC

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So who you give the 6 Jersey to next year at the Brumbies Cusack or Valetini.. Both been amazing this NRC

I reckon Valetini - but I wonder if there is a general trendy to lighter, higher work rate backrowers.

In any case, it’s a good problem for the Brumbies to have isn’t it.

It’s funny how the wheel turns. At present the options at 6 & 8 across the country seem slim. By this time next year there could be 3 or 4 options that are fighting for one or two Wallaby spots.

Although it is a bit dangerous to get too carried away with NRC form.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I reckon Valetini - but I wonder if there is a general trendy to lighter, higher work rate backrowers.

It’s funny how the wheel turns. At present the options at 6 & 8 across the country seem slim. By this time next year there could be 3 or 4 options that are fighting for one or two Wallaby spots.

Yeah.. Although tempered Cusack and Valetini look a level above.. I actually feel bad they competing against each other.. But Valetini is the future at 6 his only 19...

T

TOCC

Should be a good game, Vikings have home ground advantage but besides that it could go either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

But there are examples of good NRC form translating to Super standard play the following year. Naisarani was exceptional in NRC 2016, and had a great year for the Force this year. Les Makin is a local who earnt a Super contract on the back of NRC form. I think it's a safe bet that Valetini will step up next year based on his form in this NRC.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some posters are suggesting the Vikings have been the form side all year. Coveniently forgetting, I think, that Qld Country were leading the comp in the later parts of the season only to be surprisingly beaten in the very last round when they were missing quite a few of their players. Both sides have been at the top, and imo there isn't a struck match between them. It really should be a cracker of a match.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some posters are suggesting the Vikings have been the form side all year. Coveniently forgetting, I think, that Qld Country were leading the comp in the later parts of the season only to be surprisingly beaten in the very last round when they were missing quite a few of their players. Both sides have been at the top, and imo there isn't a struck match between them. It really should be a cracker of a match.

I haven't conveniently forgotten QLD Country by any means. In terms of performances I think the Vikings were the most consistent side all year. The Country team far too often died off in the 2nd half of games whereas the Vikings either killed off teams for big wins (two 70 point thrashings) or fought always to the end (only losses were late losses to Brisbane and NSW Country on the road).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
no. Waiting for them. Usually they have by now.

QLD are announcing theirs at 11am our time (about 30 mins) so I am guessing Vikings will be similar/.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bond University Queensland Country side to contest the NRC grand final in Canberra:

1. Richie Asiata – Easts (Starting debut)
2. Alex Mafi - Bond University, Gold Coast
3. Taniela Tupou - Brothers
4. Harry Hockings - University of Queensland, Bowen
5. Angus Blyth - Bond University, Gold Coast
6. Angus Scott-Young - University of Queensland
7. Tai Ford - Bond University, Gold Coast
8. Caleb Timu - Souths
9. James Tuttle - GPS
10.Hamish Stewart - Bond University, Toowoomba
11. Eto Nabuli - GPS
12. Duncan Paia'aua (c) - Norths, Rockhampton
13. Chris Feauai-Sautia - Souths
14. Filipo Daugunu - Wests
15. Patrick James - Brothers

Reserves
16. Alex Casey - Souths
17. Gareth Ryan - Brothers
18. Gavin Luka - Bond University, Gold Coast (Potential Queensland Country and NRC debut)
19. Phil Potgieter - University of Queensland, Toowoomba
20. Ted Postal - Brothers
21. Tate McDermott - University of Queensland, Sunshine Coast
22. Teti Tela - Souths
23. Tony Hunt - University of Queensland

James Slipper out injured.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QLD COuntry really being test in their prop depth.

Sef Fa'agase and Taniela Tupou have started in most matches (Tupou came off the bench for Fred Burke in Round 1).

Fa;agase then was injured in the Barbarians game v Wallaby classics, which was timed somewhat well with the return of James Slipper, but now he's gone because of injury.

I think we actually had two hookers on the bench in that last round with Alex Casey and Sean Ferrrell. I am pretty sure Casey played LHP, because Kirwan Sanday was injured too.

So we really need Tupou to play the whole game and Asiata to have the game of his life.

T

TOCC

Is slipper out injured due to his eye? That’s dissapointing that a player misses the grand final due to foul play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: TSR

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I assume that's the case TOCC. no news otherwise.

I am surprised we didn't hear more about the punch though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Recommend everyone take note of Harrison Lloyd when he comes on in the front row for the Vikings. Has been a real find this NRC.

Reactions: mst

Dazzling

Frank Nicholson (4)
Great news for me. SkySports in UK in broadcasting the NRC final live tomorrow morning UK time. It's heartening to see the NRC getting some coverage outside Australia. SkySports standard fare is NZ Mitre 10 cup / NPC games so good to get some balance in this part of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.