• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Final : Vikings vs Qld Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Duncan binned for a shoulder charge in a farcical decision with 15 to go. His forearm hit the guy in a fantastic shot. How both the ref and touchie can call it is amazing.

Vikings then hit back to level it just a few minutes later off the back of that penalty.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Duncan binned for a shoulder charge in a farcical decision with 15 to go. His forearm hit the guy in a fantastic shot. How both the ref and touchie can call it is amazing.

Vikings then hit back to level it just a few minutes later off the back of that penalty.

Well his return might have just made the difference.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yup, Paia'ua off from a 5m scrum that twisted, poor tackle from Hawera and Dargaville.

Off the kick off it's missed by everyone, Daugunu jumps for the bouncing ball and runs 70m to score the winning try.

42 - 28 with just minutes to play.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What a game and contest...credit to both sides for what was high quality contest...so many players from both sides who can expect big things from in super rugby next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Great game and good to see how much it means to QLD Country, big Thor couldn't hold the tears back. DP, Tupou and Timu were huge for QLD Country reckon at least DP and Tupou could be added to the EOYT. Valentini is just a freak, always making metres in attack and smacking anything that moves in defence. Would love to see him in the Scotland game has 10 times the physicality of Hanigan.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Timu man of the tournament, can't disagree with that with some of the performances he's put up in the last few weeks. Such deft hands for a big man.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Great game and good to see how much it means to QLD Country, big Thor couldn't hold the tears back. DP, Tupou and Timu were huge for QLD Country reckon at least DP and Tupou could be added to the EOYT. Valentini is just a freak, always making metres in attack and smacking anything that moves in defence. Would love to see him in the Scotland game has 10 times the physicality of Hanigan.

Yeah, great to see. A lot of the naysayers keep mentioning the fake nature of the competition. That it doesn't mean anything to the players. But that's clearly not the case. It's growing into something more from there perspective which is awesome.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Great game of rugby.

I am excited to see what the reds can do next year. Duncan has looked a class above all NRC season. Great to see the players acknowledging the coach so much in speeches.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
What a fucken game!

Gutted about our choke, and the constant errors ruining what had been a sensational game, but it was still a very, very good advertisement for this competition. That was Super rugby quality, and I mean kiwi quality. Handling, creativity, aggression and speed.

Daugunu...jesus christ, it's like watching 2012 Speight/Jason Robisnon's baby.

The ARU need to throw a shitload at a high quality sports marketing agency and get this comp out in the national consciousness. With some more time to develop fan bases, really ham up the local derby's a bit. Rugby's inherent problem with developing fan passion is our teams are so spread out. QLD/NSW rugby fans don't actually mix that often, but Cronulla and Parramatta fans mingle all the time and it builds the rivalries.

Hawera had a shocker, his missed tackles cost us 21 points.

T

TOCC

Anyone who claims there is no passion in the NRC just needs to watch that game..

Both teams played immense, rightfully either team could have walked away winners.

Some great stories from QLD Country, guys like Timu, Tupou and Paia’aua will attract the headlines. But all season Patrick James the fullback has been immense, and also Tai Ford the openside flanker. He had retired from rugby at the end of last season but was coerced into one more season with Gold Coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fantastic game and I really didn't think QLD Country would get the win at half time.

Vikings were ruling the scrum and also causing havoc in our normally strong lineout. Then our attack close to the line was far too dependant on the pick and goes. Duncan barely was involved too.

It all changed that 2nd half though and we pulled off a couple of big scrums at critical moments and Blythe and Hocking got their lineout operating better. And then we used the backs and Duncan came to the fore.

Really impressive game and a wonderful advertisement for the NRC

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What a fucken game!

Gutted about our choke, and the constant errors ruining what had been a sensational game, but it was still a very, very good advertisement for this competition. That was Super rugby quality, and I mean kiwi quality. Handling, creativity, aggression and speed.

Daugunu.jesus christ, it's like watching 2012 Speight/Jason Robisnon's baby.

The ARU need to throw a shitload at a high quality sports marketing agency and get this comp out in the national consciousness. With some more time to develop fan bases, really ham up the local derby's a bit. Rugby's inherent problem with developing fan passion is our teams are so spread out. QLD/NSW rugby fans don't actually mix that often, but Cronulla and Parramatta fans mingle all the time and it builds the rivalries.

Question is 'are RA capable of seeing that they are on to a good thing here with the NRC?' and 'are they even capable of doing what is needed to grow it beyond its current place?' I feat the answer to both of those.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What a fucken game!

Daugunu.jesus christ, it's like watching 2012 Speight/Jason Robisnon's baby.

B'Man, I actually thought Hawera had a pretty good game. Some of his long passing is starting to look Quade-esque. I thought Tom Banks was the culprit more with the missed tackles and let a couple of easy tries go past him. Not a good look for a Super Rugby, approaching test match, player in some eyes. I have an uneasy feeling in my gut about the Brumbies' backline next year. If Banks has a defensive weakness that gets found out, who is an option to play 15. Ben Jonston plays 15 in the JID at times, but he also seems to have issues with tackling one-on-one. We then have Henry on one wing, but there is no standout performer for the other. Dargaville, Taliauli and Muirhead are all good performers but haven't yet set the world alight at Super level. And we look a bit thin on the ground for backup No 12 and 13s, with some questions about the starter at 12 as well. Will it be Christian with Hawera keeping the 10 jersey, or will Christian start at 10 with ? at 12? I think the Brumbies really need to shore up the mid field and back three if they want to go places next year. Rona and Peni would be good gets from the Force. Meakes would also be on the money but I fear he is destined for another place.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Runner - Banks missed a few tackles as well, but they were scrambling tackles against Daugunu at full tilt.

Hawera missed several easy tackles in his channel that opened us up and led directly to points.

Surely, we're going Lilo at 10, Dargaville at 12, with Speight, Banks and Muirhead/Tauliali/Morseau on the other wing.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think it be 10 Christian 12 Godwin 13 TK 11 Speight 14 Dargaville 15 Banks..

Dargo was having a great Super Rugby final last year when he went off injured

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.