• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Surely head to head (Rays) is worth more than PD?
Not sure if they've published the tie breaker stuff anywhere, have just assumed they've gone for the "standard" Senior Competition Points Difference, rather than the head to head, which to me at least, is more typically associated with tournament and age grade play.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You do what other sports do. You invite junior players - all junior players, not just the ones in rep teams to skills based academy sessions. Everyone gets the opportunity to have some sort of advanced skill development delivered by someone other than a dad doing his best. Because it's not a rep team environment and there's no pressure to win and no shennanigans re selections, the sessions are skills based and not based on winning games. Identified talent can be invited to additional sessions if neededafter the whole thing has finished.

It's the sort of thing the Swans do, hockey does, water polo does and a range of other sports do as well.

Why the NRC - because it's largely free of the parochialism of the clubs, but it's close enough to the grass roots to still be local. It also gives these NRC clubs a stake in developing a region and gives the kids a real experience of their NRC club.

From my observations of my own kids playing different sports and also talking to other parents, rugby has more levels of junior rep stuff than just about any sport going around. In Sydney for example (with a declining junior base I might add), we have district rep teams from 10s to 17s, zone reps from 14-17s, Sydney reps and then a NSW team. These kids also play junior village competitions at the same time. So they get a village club coach for the season (sometimes a dad doing his best) and the better ones get various rep coaches for sometimes 2 or 3 weeks - all concurrenlty. (I'd put a broom through the lot of this stuff and have the kids playing village rugby uninterupted all season and play one level of rep stuff after the finals)

The vast majority of kids get nothing - many just give it away as they get pigeon-holed at 10 or 11 as not being up to it and never really looked at again, the ones who stay on aren't really developed as well as they might. And we all know that many kids are late bloomers - the naturally gifted 10 or 11 year old who wins the school swimming and athletics carnivals and is the best at every sport he/she tries aren't always the best at 18.

You make a fair bit of sense regarding player development and pathways. We need to focus on greater levels of overall engagement while streamlining our current structures. I agree that any kind of rep structure should take place in the post-season.

I'd like to see the NRC clubs look to build the branding by using them as the umbrella brands. Rays Rugby, Rams Rugby, Eagles Rugby etc. Use the clubs that feed into each grounds as the central points plus a couple of other selected clubs in each of their catchments. As you mention, no prerequisites just participation. Even invite kids from local schools.

In terms of pathway, I'd like to see squads selected at the beginning of the year before village Rugby but instead of it being district based it based on 'regions' within each state. In Sydney you could have North Harbour, South Harbour and Western Suburbs. Plus, regional sides. Kids play their village season uninterrupted while also training with their rep squad once or twice a week.

Have a dedicated rep season that runs alongside the NRC. Each team could host a round or you could run game days alongside NRC games.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
As an example of what hockey do. They also run goalkeeper specific programmes. Rugby could have generic skills for X number of sessions, a few kicking specific ones and some front row ones (to its credit, NSW have the Tahtrac programme for front rowers which they have just started for juniors).

http://www.hockeynsw.com.au/Participation/Centre-of-Development/U13s-U15s

So it offers 21 hours of further development opportunities. Looks like a good program. I'm not against the idea of taking what works in other sports and applying it to ours as long as it's executed correctly.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Buildcorp NRC Grand Final will be a night-time affair for the second time in three seasons with this year’s decider to be played on Saturday, October 22, with a 7.45pm AEDST kick off.

The match will feature in a prime-time television slot following the third and final Bledisloe Cup clash between the Qantas Wallabies and New Zealand at Eden Park in Auckland. Both matches will be broadcast LIVE on FOX SPORTS in a mouth-watering double-header for Rugby fans.

2016 BUILDCORP NRC GRAND FINAL
Saturday 22 October, 2016
7.45pm kick off
LIVE on FOX SPORTS following the third Bledisloe Cup clash

N

NTT

I think in 5 years time we should be aiming for a 10 team comp and an U/20s division with all teams represented. Also, and most obviously, we need a better tv deal, with FTA , to help fund it. If it can all be tied in so that juniors who register with a local club get a subsidised membership to both their NRC and Super Rugby team then that should be looked at too.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think in 5 years time we should be aiming for a 10 team comp and an U/20s division with all teams represented. Also, and most obviously, we need a better tv deal, with FTA , to help fund it. If it can all be tied in so that juniors who register with a local club get a subsidised membership to both their NRC and Super Rugby team then that should be looked at too.

I think we're currently at a good place in terms of domestic squads. With the ARU, FRU and World Rugby currently in the process of paving the way for Fijian squad to enter I think any expansion in terms of teams should come via this route.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A 9 team comp's the same as a 10 team comp: matches against the other 8 sides+a bye/matches against the other 9 sides. Bringing a Fiji side in's a no-brainer, especially if WR (World Rugby) are funding it. I would suggest adding another team should be done very carefully with a strict set of criteria to ensure that team is competitive; quite a bit of work needs to be done on the current NRC teams in terms of quality of play.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A 9 team comp's the same as a 10 team comp: matches against the other 8 sides+a bye/matches against the other 9 sides. Bringing a Fiji side in's a no-brainer, especially if WR (World Rugby) are funding it. I would suggest adding another team should be done very carefully with a strict set of criteria to ensure that team is competitive; quite a bit of work needs to be done on the current NRC teams in terms of quality of play.

If we add any new domestic teams and that should be a very big if as I agree with the sentiment on working to elevate the overall play among the current NRC teams. It needs to be a long term planned integration.

Honestly, I believe that the best way to go to 10 teams would be to see if the Fijian squad works out and if so then start talking to World Rugby about involving another from say Samoa and potential funding to include Tongan players in the current NRC squads.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Either keep it like this till 2020 or add on the Fijian team.

After that, depending on what happens with Super Rugby, either look to add another PI team or, if the Soup goes tits up, a couple of extra teams to run a full double round robin comp.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Either keep it like this till 2020 or add on the Fijian team.

After that, depending on what happens with Super Rugby, either look to add another PI team or, if the Soup goes tits up, a couple of extra teams to run a full double round robin comp.

My understanding from what I have read is that they are working toward entering the Fijian squad for next season.

As for any potential of Super Rugby going tits up. I doubt it. Thiugh just for fun if that were the case you could just switch in the Rebels, Spirit and Vikings for their Super Rugby brands while both NSW and Qld keep running their current two and three teams respectively while reverting both the Waratahs and Reds back to true representive sides.

With the Fijian squad that would mean a 16 game season plus finals. At the end of the season NSW and Qld could play of in a tri-series involving a Combined states team or some such.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
My understanding from what I have read is that they are working toward entering the Fijian squad for next season.

As for any potential of Super Rugby going tits up. I doubt it. Thiugh just for fun if that were the case you could just switch in the Rebels, Spirit and Vikings for their Super Rugby brands while both NSW and Qld keep running their current two and three teams respectively while reverting both the Waratahs and Reds back to true representive sides.

With the Fijian squad that would mean a 16 game season plus finals. At the end of the season NSW and Qld could play of in a tri-series involving a Combined states team or some such.

Don't disagree, but when you look at the combination of players in the Wallaby Squad and missing through injury/surgery, I reckon there's "just" enough talent to justify another 2 teams.

Even one more to get to 10 teams (no byes! Yay!!!) Would be worthwhile IMO.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Don't disagree, but when you look at the combination of players in the Wallaby Squad and missing through injury/surgery, I reckon there's "just" enough talent to justify another 2 teams.

Even one more to get to 10 teams (no byes! Yay!!!) Would be worthwhile IMO.

Where would you put it?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Where would you put it?
Dunno. Another NSW or QLD team.

Stars back? Split City into North/South? Sadly do away with the Eagles and split them back into Randwick/Easts and the Stars.

There's a balance to be had, but I reckon another team at the same or better quality than the current squads is a possibility based on the players missing, through Wallabies duty, injury or surgery and non-Super Team NPC alignment.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Dunno. Another NSW or QLD team.

Stars back? Split City into North/South? Sadly do away with the Eagles and split them back into Randwick/Easts and the Stars.

There's a balance to be had, but I reckon another team at the same or better quality than the current squads is a possibility based on the players missing, through Wallabies duty, injury or surgery and non-Super Team NPC alignment.

I'd prefer a third Qld side but certainly could see a forth NSW team being the chosen path. I'd much prefer to see both Country's remain regardless. I think it would be a real point of difference for the game. If you go to a 16-18 game season then that's nine home games that could be played in places like Orange, Mudgee, Wagga, Coffs, Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast etc.

A competition with all of the best talent currently in Australia plus a number of the guys overseas could make another team viable. Certainly if it was being upgraded from its current 'semi-pro' to professional.

I think the current set up of the Sydney Rays and WSR in NSW are the most ideal. Could even say they have fairly defined catchments with the Rays occupying the Nothern Suburbs and Beaches potentially including the Nth West and the Rams the West and Southern suburbs. As for the bit in between. Let them compete for that.

There's also another option if it were to ever eventuate and that's Adelaide. If the money was there.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Where would you put it?

Adelaide. The New South Wales and Queensland markets are saturated, other than a North Queensland team which might struggle as it's predominately a league area.

The northern and western Sydney sides could take a leaf out of the Eagles book and play the odd game away from Sydney, say one per season in Newcastle/Gosford and Wollongong, respectively. I'd make the trip.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Adelaide. The New South Wales and Queensland markets are saturated, other than a North Queensland team which might struggle as it's predominately a league area.

The northern and western Sydney sides could take a leaf out of the Eagles book and play the odd game away from Sydney, say one per season in Newcastle/Gosford and Wollongong, respectively. I'd make the trip.

In terms of balance another team in either wouldn't be ideal. Adelaide has a ground and a supporter base albeit rather small. Could be workable.

I also like the idea of the Rays and Rams taking games to Newcastle/Central Coast and Wollongong. While I know they are in their own right distinct regions in themselves they are also very much satelittes of both teams catchments in some respects.

Let the Eagles build a base in the other larger regional centres.