• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just another reason the Spirit must be retained next year.

I don't think there's any talk of scrapping Perth. Since the local blokes will only get 10-12 games in the Indo tournament, it just makes sense for them to play virtually the same squad in the NRC. That's a full 24ish game season.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There's been a lot of talk about PI participation of late. Particularly in the face of the success of Tonga in the RL. I'm not going to rehash everything but in regards to looking to bridge the issue from a Rugby point of view I think there should be a push to enter at least one perhaps two teams in the NRC from Samoa and Tonga. Potentially based here with a combination of local players from the Islands and heritage players.

Would help provide a solid pathway. Games could be taken to the Islands of course. Would need very similar arrangement to that of Fiji with WR (World Rugby) but I think it would add even more to the competition.

T

TOCC

I've proposed this before..

But Australia and New Zealand should make an agreement to play one team from Fiji, Tonga and Samoa once each year between Rugby World Cups, over a 4 year cycle Australia would play at least all the teams once assisting in their exposure and development.

When was the last time the Wallabies played Tonga? I think the last game against Samoa was in 2011, Wallabies obviously played Fiji last year but prior to that it was a decent spell as well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wallabies last played Tonga back in 1998 when we were 'forced' to play them in a RWC qualifier (remembering we had the qualify for the 1999 RWC due to our performane at the 1995 RWC).

We played them in Canberra and won 74-0.

Before that it was the old amateur days of 1993

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Cutting a team to improve the standard of play overall? Now, where have I heard that before?

Haha.........however, this is probably the most ideal set up. More along the lines of the traditional rep structures. Hopefully it will also lead to a more even spread of Super Rugby players among the squads. It also could lend itself to expanding the playing schedule a bit. Having 8 teams allows for more flexibility on that side of things. You could split the competition into two 4 team pools. Start the season playing the three other teams in your pool before playing the other four teams from the other pools before finishing it off with the return rounds against the teams in your own pool again. So a total of ten games. Plus a four team finals series. A nice tight 12 weeks. Or you could go a full home and away schedule for 14 weeks plus finals. I'd be happy with either. It could also facilitate enter of other PI squads. Which would also be a good thing. Add even more to the competition.

T

TOCC

Anyone heard that there will only be 2 Sydney teams in 2018
Sydney and country teams

yes thats the rumour, and they will both have closer affiliation to the Waratahs like the 2 Queensland teams do...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
yes thats the rumour, and they will both have closer affiliation to the Waratahs like the 2 Queensland teams do.

More engagement with the Tahs is long overdue. better coordination, distribution of talent and in theory promotion would seriously benefit the game in NSW. Just hoping sanity prevails if this does occur and the Sydney team plays somewhere central like Concord Oval.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
The selling point pf NRC was to give Shute shield playerss some form of Super Rugby opportunites and for coaches to get opportunities at the next level
Now it will be super rugby and Fringe super rugby playsrs playing coached by super rugby contracted coaches.
Extended super rugby season for just the Aust Super Franchises

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
More engagement with the Tahs is long overdue. better coordination, distribution of talent and in theory promotion would seriously benefit the game in NSW. Just hoping sanity prevails if this does occur and the Sydney team plays somewhere central like Concord Oval.
I actually really like Sydney unis newish oval. Great venue and feels half like going to a professional match. Also more central.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk