• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

Alachino

Frank Row (1)
You think it's too hard for the Tahs to connect with 3 teams and 2 will be easier?

I guess it's hard for me to understand why people see the competitiveness of the NRC teams as the number 1 priority, where I see the NRC in general as a tool to bridge rugby communities across the country and the teams much more valuable being used to engage the area they rep.

But I think it has actually been stated somewhere by RA that the purpose of the NRC was to expose more players to a higher level of rugby. So it that is the case then so be it I guess.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Clearly more players would be exposed to a higher level of rugby if NSW retained three teams rather than two. It wouldn't matter so much that the standard in the three individual sides would probably be lower than in two only, in either case the 46 or 69 players involved would face the same level of play in the other sides in the competition.

Reactions: dru
T

TOCC

You think it's too hard for the Tahs to connect with 3 teams and 2 will be easier?

I guess it's hard for me to understand why people see the competitiveness of the NRC teams as the number 1 priority, where I see the NRC in general as a tool to bridge rugby communities across the country and the teams much more valuable being used to engage the area they rep.

But I think it has actually been stated somewhere by RA that the purpose of the NRC was to expose more players to a higher level of rugby. So it that is the case then so be it I guess.

For sustainability in the long term it needs to be more then just a development tool, it needs to be competitive as well.. and part of me also considers competitiveness and ‘development tool’ one the same, to extract the greatest value in a development sense they need the teams playing at a level which challenges them.

T

TOCC

For the Sydney teams to be competitve, they either need to consolidate to 2 teams or the Shute Shield needs to revert back to starting a few weeks earlier like Queensland, allowing the NRC teams a couple of weeks together before the NRC.

Shute Shield seems pretty vested in supporting themselves, in which case the trade off means less opportunities for Sydney based players in the NRC.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Season launched today in its new guise

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/08/28/nrc-2018-launch

180828 NRC.jpg

2018_Toast_Rack.png

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Some pretty good crowds for drua vs rising and bris city vs force. Hard to tell what Vikings vs qld country like but looked fairly small but also was sub Zero temperatures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
In Beth Newman's article today entitled: Sydney to chase Bernard Foley for clash with NSW Country, Beth Newman makes a comment of - "Foley is not one of the Rays' officially allocated Wallabies - indeed he is theoretically aligned to Country".

Can anybody throw any light on this Wallabies allocation between the NRC teams?
Was it publicised in any way?
Was there an allocation to the Western Force?

I understand that all Super Rugby players can choose to play with a particular NRC team.
Dane H-P chose to be with the Western Force (but is unlikely to play) however it will allow him to spend more time with his family in between Tests (which is great!).

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/09/14/nrc-rays-foley-availability

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
In Beth Newman's article today entitled: Sydney to chase Bernard Foley for clash with NSW Country, Beth Newman makes a comment of - "Foley is not one of the Rays' officially allocated Wallabies - indeed he is theoretically aligned to Country".

Got me,

Bernard Foley the first name mentioned for the Eagles on a somewhat out of date site.

http://nswcountryeagles.com/team/

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Was it publicised in any way?
Was there an allocation to the Western Force?

I understand that all Super Rugby players can choose to play with a particular NRC team.
Dane H-P chose to be with the Western Force (but is unlikely to play) however it will allow him to spend more time with his family in between Tests (which is great!).

DHP is the allocation for the Force.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
DHP is the allocation for the Force.

Thanks Reg - but that was his choice - he wasn't allocated.

Are you able to throw any light on the Wallabies allocations to the other teams as I hadn't seen this terminology used before and Beth writes for Rugby.com.au so you would thinks that she knowswhat's happening??

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ok so what I can work out so far the Wallabies allocated to NRC team include the following:

Queensland Country
Izack Rodda
Caleb Timu
Taniela Tupou

Queensland City
Brendan Paenga - Amosa
Lukhan Tui
Samu Kerevi

Vikings
Tom Banks
Joe Powell
Rory Arnold

Sydney Rays
Jack Dempsey
Michael Hooper
Curtis Rona

Melbourne Rising ?

NSW Country Eagles ?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks Reg - but that was his choice - he wasn't allocated.

Are you able to throw any light on the Wallabies allocations to the other teams as I hadn't seen this terminology used before and Beth writes for Rugby.com.au so you would thinks that she knowswhat's happening??

It’s happened every year of the nrc. Of course it was DHP’s choice. In consultation with the Force and RA.

It’s all pretty obvious. Off the top of my head it’s something like.

Tupou, Rodda etc at Qld Country.

Tui, Samu, BPA etc at Brisbane City

Banks, Arnold, Powell etc at the Vikings.

Etc.

There’s no secret squirrel stuff. I’m sure you could work it out if you read through the same media I do.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Foley playing a game for rays at Leichhardt oval game against country is probably more strategic as rays don’t have an experienced 10 in their squad as will Harrison novice and suspect also about giving foley more game time plus having wallaby involved for Leichhardt match.

As at Leichhardt wallabies trial game against super rugby side got good turn out recently and as nsw derby match at Leichhardt maybe attempting to drum up more interest which would make sense. Nsw country don’t need foley whilst rays do and would help them be more competitive and make for more interesting derby match.

Anyhow my ramblings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
There’s no secret squirrel stuff. I’m sure you could work it out if you read through the same media I do.

Thanks Reg.

I did all that mate and still can't find out who was "allocated" to Melbourne Rising and NSW Country Eagles.
I remember it was part of the make-up but it was Beth's use of the word that I couldn't recall.

In previous years I thought there was an announcement but I couldn't find one for this year.

It's also been long standing that players can ask (and most likely granted) permission to play at a club of their choice isn't it?
The same way as Alex Newsome played for Eagles when he was with the Force and Chris Alcock played with Sydney Rays.

Wasn't looking for a conspiracy just who had gone where.