• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 1: Sydney Rays v Western Sydney Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sydney Rays vs Western Sydney Rams at North Sydney Oval

Referee: William Houston
Assistant referees: Edward Martin, Andrew Cox
Assessor: Mick Tanzer

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Western Sydney Rams team to play Sydney Rays

Matt Gibbon, Brandon Paenga-Amosa, David Lolohea, Filimone Tufui, Senio Toleafoa, Rhys Allen, Tupou Sopoaga, Tyrone Viiaga, Scott Gale, Paul Asquith, Fabian Goodall, Apolosi Latunipulu, Denny Godinet, Rob Buaserau, Albert Nikoro.

Reserves: Aaron Blacklock, Andrew Tuala, Jack Payne, Tom Alexander, Bradford Kapa, Waldo Wessels, Mitch Walton, Luke Smart.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sydney Rays: 1. Rory O’Connor, 2. Damien Fitzpatrick, 3. Angus Ta’avao, 4. Connor Vest, 5. James Brown, 6. Jack Dempsey, 7. Will Miller, 8. Hugh Sinclair; 9. Matt Lucas (c), 10. Angus Sinclair, 11. Harry Jones, 12. Irae Simone, 13. Seb Wileman, 14. Richard Woolf, 15. Jonathan Malo. Reserves: 16. James Hilterbrand, 17. Ezra Luxton, 18. Lawrance Hunting, 19. Adrian Hall / Angus Ryan, 20. Harry Bergelin / Michael Smith, 21. Dewet Roos, 22. Sam Lane, 23. Tyson Davis. Coach: Simon Cron.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Rays looking fairly good. Not quite executing yet. Going a little too wide too soon and getting trapped. Need to have the likes of Wildman and Simone straighten it up a bit but have already shown more skill than any other team. Mistakes coming more from players adjusting to the Cron tempo of game.

The Rams aren't as bad as the scoreline suggests. Tough and abrasive. Just lacking a few good link players. Need to work a little harder around the corner as well. Could someone please tell Goodall that he's a very large man with good speed. Please at least try and use it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Also, good crowd in attendance. The Rays seem to be doing the community outreach thing similar to the Rams. Hopefully the Eagles are taking notes.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
This game wasn't. There was a Mitre 10 game on from NZ on the rugby channel at the same time. Qls Country and Vikings game is on Fox at the moment.

What was the result of this game WCR?

Sorry. I meant it was via their on demand service. The final score was 50-30 to the Rays. It was actually a much closer game than the score suggests. Fitness got the better of the Rams in the last 10 but they dominated large parts of the game.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Overall I think if the Rays can get their patterns locked in going from the games I've seen so far they should be very competitive. They appear to be looking to play a very similar style and tempo (potentially a little quicker) to that of Northern Suburbs. What they need to avoid is allowing the opposition to dictate the tempo. After the first 15 minutes where they were looking to run the Rams off the park they let the Rams set the pace for most of the game.

The Rams have a big and abrasive pack. If their fitness was better as well as overall depth it would form an even more potent weapon. They have a solid centre pairing in Godinet and Latunipolu and a couple of pretty dynamic wings. With Walton on in tandem with Asquith they run quite well but again the Rams biggest issues will be fitness and depth.

As for players who stood up. For the Rays I really like the combination of Wildman and Simone. And boy Dempsey is good. If he can get some of the silly penalties out of his gamw (which got him a permanent seat on the bench) he will really excel.

For the Rams I thought Lolohea played well. In fact I'd say his involvements actually reflected his size. Strong in the scrum, good overall in defence and bent the line with nearly every touch. Another forward to stand up (though I was impressed with several. So far as a pack they possess the best interplay of any in the competition) was Reece Allen. Put in a huge innings with lots of involvements.

In the backs. Latunipolu was the standout before his injury. From there, Goodall was probably the standout but I was surprised by the impact of Nikoro.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
12 months since I used the on demand service so now have to remember my logins
If you're signed into your browser, (either Firefox or Chrome, don't know if the others do it) you should have a saved passwords section. I piggiebacked off the old mans account last year, so a reset wasn't an option, looked it up there instead :p

Just for future.

Status
Not open for further replies.