• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 2: Canberra Vikings v NSW Country Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
^^^^^^^ I'm pretty sure you are right. As I recall, Allan was playing TH then and Mike at LH in club rugby. They both switched when they made higher sides, and the situation at the Brumbies (and Wallabies imo) is that Allan should stay on the LH side.

There are a few very promising TH props coming through Super Rugby and NRC, including Tom Roberston, Sam Talakai and Taniela Toupou. On the other side, James Slipper will be getting on a bit by RWC 2019 and both he and Scott Sio are somewhat injury prone. It is arguable also on form that Allan Ala'alatoa is already challenging Sio as the number one LHP at the Brumbies. The long term interests of the Wallabies will be better looked after by keeping Allan on the LH side.

T

TOCC

James Slipper would have just turned 30 by the next RWC, and Sio will only be 27.. Age isn't an issue for either of them. Wallabies clearly have depth at LHP, yet are struggling at THP.

Ben Alexander will be gone after next year, Ruan Smith isn't returning, Brumbies missed out on Lomax... Either Sio or Allan are moving, Allan preferably because his scrummaging technique and strengths are suited

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
There has been a lot of commentary on how badly Ala'alatoa played and how good Robertson looked, but for me the standout scrummaging front rower was Paddy Ryan. I know everyone has written him off as hopeless and a roadblock to younger props coming through, but his scrum work in the second half of Super Rugby and now the NRC has been outstanding. Can anyone name me one THP who has got on top of him since May? He's played a few good ones in that time. He's still young for a prop, why has everyone written him off?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not sure anybody has necessarily written him off Hawko. Standard wisdom has seemed to suggest that the loosehead position isn't as much of a problem as tighthead , between Slipper (27) and Sio (24) as the first string pair, with Toby Smith (27) as backup and Ala'alatoa (22) as the potential bolter.

At 28, he's the oldest of all of them, albeit it's a matter of little more than a year with Slipper, and mere months with Toby. But with Alan probably staying at tighthead, there's an opportunity there for him, all it'll take is an overseas contract, and a small injury or two, and he could find himself back in the line-up, competing to stay there.

Odd to say for a 28 year old prop but time is potentially against him. Choosing to stay in Australia will always keep you in with a shot though, and from the outside, he appears to be someone very happy where he is.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There has been a lot of commentary on how badly Ala'alatoa played and how good Robertson looked, but for me the standout scrummaging front rower was Paddy Ryan. I know everyone has written him off as hopeless and a roadblock to younger props coming through, but his scrum work in the second half of Super Rugby and now the NRC has been outstanding. Can anyone name me one THP who has got on top of him since May? He's played a few good ones in that time. He's still young for a prop, why has everyone written him off?

Ryan has looked better and better at LHP for the Tahs as the season went on, despite not being the archetypal body type for that side. Certainly gave them more options.

+1. In fact I'd opine Paddy's played better at LHP this season than he ever did in the 3 jumper.
Everyone? cyclo and I've given him the thumbs up in the 1 jumper, now you've joined us, Hawko, surely the national selectors have to act. ;)

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
And on top of that, Paddy isn't winning scrums through the cheeky BS that LHs often get away with, he's genuinely just better at scrummaging there. And, as he's a reasonably athletic prop, it's less taxing to scrum at LH so he can do more elsewhere.

Now, I'm not saying give him another Wallaby cap (Toby Smith has performed better for longer and he's not getting a run) but if he plays as well as he has since his switch over, maybe give him a look-see next year in the inbound tours. Greg Holmes bloomed late, there's no reason Paddy won't.

Plus - I'm going to guess he's a good bloke/leader because he got picked as captain for the Country side. But, that's just a guess.

T

TOCC

I still think the jury is out on Paddy Ryan, he has played almost 80 Super Rugby matches, so I don't think '6 games' really changes all that, despite playing better he still concedes the 4th highest number of penalties in Super Rugby in 2016, including 10 penalties between Rd 10 and 14..

If he continue that form in 2017 and lowers his penalty count, then I would start considering him for higher honours then.. But as it stands I've seen him scrummage badly far too often so it's going to take a bit for me to change that opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.