• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 3: Brisbane City vs Queensland Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
66 minutes in. QC (Quade Cooper) have an attacking scrum 5m out from BC's line.

Taniela Tupou (Tongan Thor) comes onto the field.

EDIT: Jack Cornelsen (no. 6) burrows over from a dominant QC (Quade Cooper) scrum.

Converted by Greene.

24-34.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
BC take an option for a penalty kick, bringing the score out to 24-36, soaking up some more time whilst Neville is still on the bench.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Commentators give MoTM to Junior Laloifi. Scored two tries in the game and didn't let his team down in defence.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
BC score a pretty nice team try on the 82nd minute with some good touches from Frisby and the industrious captain Gill. With Kuridrani and Kerevi doing a bit of a one two one between them to finish off the try, with Kerevi very unselfishly giving the ball to Kuridriani to score when he was pretty much over the line already. Fatigue definitely made that try look a lot better as the defence was pretty exhausted and all across the park.

Final score 24 - 43.
BC retain the Andy Purcell cup.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
8307282a4db2e4acbcf2c094a00ddd12.jpg

Blogs

Frank Nicholson (4)
What a joke, playing Magnay at IC, he had no idea. He was so much better out wider with more room to move. He is a quality player but definitely not an IC. Gilmire needs to take a lesson from Stiles as he knows how to pick a team.3 losses to QC (Quade Cooper) they are so much better than that. Pick the right team and they will win.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A bit harsh I reckon Blogs. I thought Campbell actually added something at IC. I questioned it when the team was picked, but there's not many alternatives out there with injuries to Fainga'a and JJT.

Who would you have picked?

3 losses for sure but they have been 3 the top 4 teams. A good stretch against the Rams, Spirit, Eagles and Rays should be a good opportunity for them.

But as above, I'd be keen to know what team you would have picked?

Blogs

Frank Nicholson (4)
A bit harsh I reckon Blogs. I thought Campbell actually added something at IC. I questioned it when the team was picked, but there's not many alternatives out there with injuries to Fainga'a and JJT.

Who would you have picked?

3 losses for sure but they have been 3 the top 4 teams. A good stretch against the Rams, Spirit, Eagles and Rays should be a good opportunity for them.

But as above, I'd be keen to know what team you would have picked?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I wouldn't have picked F'Sautua at 13. He is a winger PERIOD!

BC pack really used their experience over the Country pack today. Thor didn't get that much game time as expected and gave away two crucial penalties at set piece to finish the game. It's obvious it still needs a lot of work but good to see him get a taste of the next level.

Blogs

Frank Nicholson (4)
They had Gordon and Duncan, they could have gone with a better combination at IC. Putting Magnay out wider. Even putting Duncan at IC with magnay at FB and Gordon on the bench would have given more options.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wouldn't have picked F'Sautua at 13. He is a winger PERIOD!

He was outstanding for Souths in the tail end of the QPR at 13. Of course he was going to be 13 for Country.

Blogs, you're clearly a Gordon advocate so I am wary. I think he's a solid player with some ability. I do maintain that CM offered more at 12 in this match than Gordon has so far. Should be part of the 23 though, but perhaps he is seen as solely a 12. Do you think that's fair?

Blogs

Frank Nicholson (4)
He was outstanding for Souths in the tail end of the QPR at 13. Of course he was going to be 13 for Country.

Blogs, you're clearly a Gordon advocate so I am wary. I think he's a solid player with some ability. I do maintain that CM offered more at 12 in this match than Gordon has so far. Should be part of the 23 though, but perhaps he is seen as solely a 12. Do you think that's fair?
To be fair Gordon probably is solely a 12 but can play 10 however that wouldn't happen with the quality 10s they have. I think it a bit harsh to say CM offered more. Did you not see the pass and gap he created for Sautia to go through in the last game. Gordon is a quality player and has a lot to offer but hasnt really been given the chance to show what he can do. However I note you say I am -a Gordon fan. In actual fact I was a12 so know the position and think Duncan is a quality 12 but also think Gordon has a lot to offering he was given the chance.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

To be honest I don't even think Gordon is a good option if they were to put F'Sautia at 13. I just think there has been no balance in that backline for most part of the year except for that Stars game before JJT went down injured.

First and foremost we know F'Sautia is a great ball runner, you take away from his strength by virtually putting the same player next to him. Think about the ball playing in a backline that consists of;

10. Greene
11. Parese
12. Magnay/Gordon
13. F'Sautia
14. Pincus

It's the same problem the Reds had this season when they played FTA/Kerevi combo with O'Connor (runner) Turner (runner) and F'Sautia on the wings. You virtually become a one pass attacking team. Ben Tapuai was that link that never got the opportunity to showcase that. IMO a backline of;

9. Tuttle
10. Greene
11. Parese
12. Paia'aua
13. Magnay
14. F'Sautia
15. Banks

Brings much more of a balance to the backline. You can put either at 13 I've gone with Magnay for the fact that F'Sautia is a proven finisher and it is his preferred position.
I refer back to the start of the game last week vs Stars. Two line breaks in the opening 10 minutes before injury to JJT caused a reshuffle. However glimpses showed that with a balanced backline with Paia'aua being the key if chosen at 12. Takes pressure of Greene as well as gives options for the men wider of the play.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
really good question. I think Greene probably, in a smidge. McIntyre was probably more controlled but Greene I felt was more a threat with ball and boot.

Interested in what others thought.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
really good question. I think Greene probably, in a smidge. McIntyre was probably more controlled but Greene I felt was more a threat with ball and boot.

Interested in what others thought.

Greene did very well yesterday with ball in hand running as a solo attacker, constantly seems to find holes in the defensive.

Whereas I feel McIntyre is (and played yesterday) a more traditional fly half role, where rather than breaking the line himself, he sets others up for them. It seemed McIntyre marshalled his backs better than Greene did, but I'm not too sure how much that was down to the respective standards of each backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.