• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 5: Melbourne Rising vs Greater Sydney Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Dear Jim Williams,

Three FUCKING GAMES!!! This is third game where Ayoub inability to convert a goddamn try from anywhere but from practically in front has fucked us. Do you see the issue here? Un-fucking believable.

Had to get that off my chest.

Poor kicking. It's the curse of Australian rugby.

Bring Back The Ruck

Herbert Moran (7)
Same as last week...
Ref had a shocker and penalised us in crucial positions at crucial times
Holloway was fantastic
Meafua showed why he got rookie of year in ss
Over the next few weeks Masson won't be the last kiwi flanker to have a great game and dominate the breakdown (ref won't penalise as much however - if at all!)
Vikings aside we have shown teams 6 or 7 players capable of a potential step up to pro rugby - that is one of our aims
Disapointing result

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Despite Ayuob's kicking yips his game management wasn't too bad. Slow to start, but pick up as the game went on. He does need to work on his conversion kicking; there was not a breath of wind and the ground was like velvet.

The Rays Scrum dominated the Rising, but through the Rising forwards were better around the pack

Dom Shipperly was easily the standout Rising player. when he wasn't saving certain tres he was hard on attack setting up great field position. Tom's brace was very timely, we've missed his size out wide. Few of the returning Rebel players all looked rooted after the game, probably needed that run to blast out the cobwebs.

Ferti and Sione looked fantastic when they came on the field. One of them put on a bellringer tackle that I felt from the other end of the ground. Those two are getting better every game.

i felt the Rams took the foot of fthe pedal after they raced out to the 36 - 21 lead. By then I think they probably thought they had everything all sewn up. Jim Williams might want to address that.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
he did however miss the tackle on Gillespie that lead to his try.

Winger against a raging prop, yeh if I was Dom i'd probably wave Jed through :) Jed was quite good yesterday, a real best at Scrum time. I remember getting a cracking shot where he yanked down Tom Moloney at scrum time and earned a penalty (I was standing next to the big blue stand, north end).

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
One little thing about yesterday: the scoreboard guys were very slow! Might have cost us the game as the players almost didn't realise they were only a point behind after tom's second try. Lucky Jack D didn't take that drop goal attempt.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
*snip*

Ferti and Sione looked fantastic when they came on the field. One of them put on a bellringer tackle that I felt from the other end of the ground. Those two are getting better every game.

*snip*

I thought Farao also made a big difference in the second half.

Anyone hear what the crowd figure was? I was a bit disappointed there were so few at the game. It's all well and good taking these games to regional areas but they need to do a lot of promotional work locally if it's going to work.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Farao also made a big difference in the second half.

Anyone hear what the crowd figure was? I was a bit disappointed there were so few at the game. It's all well and good taking these games to regional areas but they need to do a lot of promotional work locally if it's going to work.

480 !
c/w ~ 2000 per game last year
definitely need to find an appropriate venue in Melbourne for next season.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Same discussion on the match review thread. My thought were to look at a medium soccer ground like South Melbourne; close to City and can seat enough people. AAMI is way to expensive to run and looks terrible on TV when half-empty.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Have watched all the RAMS games and am disappointed at three losses where they scored more tries than their opposition.

The problem is that they don't have a genuine goal kicker i.e. a player who actually kicks for their club.

Jai Ayoub does not do the kicking for Eastwood - last time he did was in second grade 3 or 4 years ago.

Paul Asquith has been the other kicker and I don't believe he kicks for Southern.

Given the importance of 3 point conversions, it may have been a good idea to pick a genuine goal kicker e.g. Ben Batger?

Also I am not sure there is enough depth to make lots of subs in the last 15-20 mins. Seems to coincide with our demise.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Same discussion on the match review thread. My thought were to look at a medium soccer ground like South Melbourne; close to City and can seat enough people. AAMI is way to expensive to run and looks terrible on TV when half-empty.

agree that the South Melbourne ground would probably be the best option but from memory its not available at this time of year. possibly one of the smaller suburban Soccer clubs might be willing to host.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
480 !
c/w ~ 2000 per game last year
definitely need to find an appropriate venue in Melbourne for next season.
Thanks swingpass.

480... pretty appalling really.

A reasonable chunk of that would have been people driving down from Melbourne too. In my experience country people will generally turn up in numbers if there's something on in town - if they know it's happening that is. The local paper did run a couple of items - http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/sport/ - but was there any actual advertising bought in the lead up? You can't rely on social media alone. Scheduling the game in the middle of the local AFL league's finals probably wouldn't have helped much either.

Hopefully it will be better at Geelong and Frankston.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Thanks swingpass.

480. pretty appalling really.

A reasonable chunk of that would have been people driving down from Melbourne too. In my experience country people will generally turn up in numbers if there's something on in town - if they know it's happening that is. The local paper did run a couple of items - http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/sport/ - but was there any actual advertising bought in the lead up? You can't rely on social media alone. Scheduling the game in the middle of the local AFL league's finals probably wouldn't have helped much either.

Hopefully it will be better at Geelong and Frankston.

Think there has been more publicity for the Geelong game. Remember seeing Darren Lyons on TV talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.