• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wow the highights of Wellington (Scots) on the other thread, show that Scots could be in for another strong year.

Having said that ... I don't know too much on the backs?

1. Botha - 16As
2. Zylstra - 2nds
4. Williams- 1sts
5. Brial - 16As
6. Wellington - 1sts
7. Robson - 1sts
8. Harris - 1sts
9. Strang - Injured?
10. Savala - 1sts and Injured

PS look forward to Waverley v Scots ... after a year off hopefully it is a full strength affair

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wow the highights of Wellington (Scots) on the other thread, show that Scots could be in for another strong year.

Having said that . I don't know too much on the backs?

1. Botha - 16As
2. Zylstra - 2nds
4. Williams- 1sts
5. Brial - 16As
6. Wellington - 1sts
7. Robson - 1sts
8. Harris - 1sts
9. Strang - Injured?

PS look forward to Waverley v Scots . after a year off hopefully it is a full strength affair

That package seemed to be of a kid wearing 6 - others reckon he's a centre. Assuming its the 6 - there's at least one kid like this in the GPS every year: whats so special about this one (other than the fact that he attends the school at which the Baa Baas assistant coach works)?

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Is this a new position for GPS sport to have an Executive Officer of GPS sport?

http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/news/

If new it is rather interesting as it will hopefully result in a bit of oversight as it talks about judiciary hearings, co-operation with the other school sports association and hopefully result in more even match up of teams. Interesting if it will have an impact over in the thread we do not speak of.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Is this a new position for GPS sport to have an Executive Officer of GPS sport?

http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/news/

If new it is rather interesting as it will hopefully result in a bit of oversight as it talks about judiciary hearings, co-operation with the other school sports association and hopefully result in more even match up of teams. Interesting if it will have an impact over in the thread we do not speak of.

I think the ad was for 2017, so the position has already been filled.

If you scroll down the link you see the 2017 rugby season and when you click on the link at the bottom to the job add it's been removed.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can't be long now till the 2018 draw is released

They normally have a meeting around about now to finalise/confirm arrangements for the following year. I'm sure it would be complete, just awaiting final approval.

Will be interesting to see how they've matched the different schools up in the pre-season/trial phase.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can't be long now till the 2018 draw is released

As an aside Rich, New v Scots in water polo tomorrow. Should decide GPS premiers and Combined GPS/CAS Premiers in 1sts, 2nds & 16As. I saw the 1sts play each other in a trial a couple of weeks back and Scots won that by a goal.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
As an aside Rich, New v Scots in water polo tomorrow. Should decide GPS premiers and Combined GPS/CAS Premiers in 1sts, 2nds & 16As. I saw the 1sts play each other in a trial a couple of weeks back and Scots won that by a goal.

I didn't realise that. Thanks for the heads up QH. Good luck to all the lads. And go Scots. :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I didn't realise that. Thanks for the heads up QH. Good luck to all the lads. And go Scots. :)

Was a fantastic game Scots up 5-1 at half time. Full time 7-7.

Biggest crowd of the year and the only time in the season where there are rugby like war cries and chants. Great atmosphere.

New won the 14 As 8-4.

Didn't stay for the whole day, but usually all the games are close right through the age groups.

EDIT: So premierships not "decided" - will probably be joint premiers now,

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The school calendars for the following year are usually put together by September, then they're sent to the various printers.

In these days of websites, emails, school intranets etc., people still send things to a printer?

I can't remember that last time I saw a printed draw for any sport.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Was a fantastic game Scots up 5-1 at half time. Full time 7-7.

Biggest crowd of the year and the only time in the season where there are rugby like war cries and chants. Great atmosphere.

New won the 14 As 8-4.

Didn't stay for the whole day, but usually all the games are close right through the age groups.

EDIT: So premierships not "decided" - will probably be joint premiers now,

What a comeback from New. Deserve equal premiers after that effort.

Why 'decided' so early? Are New and Scots expected to win each of their remaining rounds?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What a comeback from New. Deserve equal premiers after that effort.

Why 'decided' so early? Are New and Scots expected to win each of their remaining rounds?

Yep, they're both expected to win the remaining rounds - although anything can happen in sport.

Was a great example of schoolboy sport at its finest.

EDIT: Being a newer sport which has grown slowly, it was originally a combined AAGPS/CAS competition with a trophy for the winners of the combined competition being the oldest. In the last few years it has also become a full GPS sport, but the AAGPS trophy is relatively quite new.

Unlikely that either school will lose to another GPS school given trial results, but Trinity and to a lesser extent Knox could conceivably defeat either Scots or New to win the combined competition.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)

Having said that . I don't know too much on the backs?

1. Botha - 16As
2. Zylstra - 2nds
4. Williams- 1sts
5. Brial - 16As
6. Wellington - 1sts
7. Robson - 1sts
8. Harris - 1sts
9. Strang - Injured?

PS look forward to Waverley v Scots . after a year off hopefully it is a full strength affair

Great start SDW.

Here's a possible full Scots 1st XV (with team in 2017 in brackets)

1 Wingrove (2nds) / Botha (16As)
2 Zylstra (2nds)
3 Patterson (2nds)
4 Williams (1sts)
5 Harris (1sts)
6 Wellington (1sts)
7 Robson (1sts)
8 Brial (16As)
9 Strang (injured) / Webster (1sts and 2nds)
10 Mason (2nds) / Savala (1sts and injured)
11 Aveyard (2nds)
12 Savala / Gavin (2nds)
13 Zuchiatti (16As)
14 Tricks (1sts)
15 Mossman (2nds)

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Five GPS lads made the 2017 Australian u16s Merit Team - see link below. They are:

1. Nick Jones - Joeys
8. Joe Brial - Scots
9. Lachlan Albert - Riverview
11. Tolu Koula - Newington
12. John Connoly - Kings (and winner of 2017 Green and Gold GPS Rising Star award)

Most should feature prominently in their respective schools' 1st XVs in 2018 and push for opens rep honours.

Congratulations to all the lads selected, from all associations and states.

https://rugbynews.net.au/australian-u16s-merit-team-announced-following-national-championships/

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
They normally have a meeting around about now to finalise/confirm arrangements for the following year. I'm sure it would be complete, just awaiting final approval.

Will be interesting to see how they've matched the different schools up in the pre-season/trial phase.

QH,

From a Waverley point of view I have heard that the Waves will play in the pre-season:

Shore, View, New,Scots and Shore again at the end.

Not absolutely sure about the order, and can't understand why any school would play each other twice, particularly when we will miss Kings and Joeys in 2018.

It will be great to play Scots in 2018!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH,

From a Waverley point of view I have heard that the Waves will play in the pre-season:

Shore, View, New,Scots and Shore again at the end.

Not absolutely sure about the order, and can't understand why any school would play each other twice, particularly when we will miss Kings and Joeys in 2018.

It will be great to play Scots in 2018!

It would be very odd to play two trials against the same school, particularly if it's Waverley v Shore which strikes me as being a rather one sided fixture. EDIT A parent from St Augustine's seems to think that they will have trials against Scots and New. St Aug v Waves would be a much better match up than Waves v Shore.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
It would be very odd to play two trials against the same school, particularly if it's Waverley v Shore which strikes me as being a rather one sided fixture. EDIT A parent from St Augustine's seems to think that they will have trials against Scots and New. St Aug v Waves would be a much better match up than Waves v Shore.

Yes agree QH,

However in 2017 we played VIew twice and didn't play Scots at all.

The 2 games against Shore is odd but who knows how strong either team will be, a pity to not play Joeys or Kings.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

QH, I forgot to include Waves v St.Auggies in 2018, which should be a cracker I would think.