• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Central Best

Chris McKivat (8)
SDW,

I hope you will remember last year when this new mix of GPS,CAS and ISA, combination got absolutely trashed by many, and it was a battle to get some to see the better future.

NOW the mix of games/teams etc is thrilling, bring on a comp, if required, but the fact that schools aren't playing the same teams over and over has added a huge amount of interest and realism IMO.

WHAT DO OTHERS THINK?

Certainly a great concept like gotheboys I live in gods country and have enjoyed the trial format immensely. The banter on green and gold and the interest in the results each weekend has been great. I might be biased but schoolboy rugby played well is definitely the best rugby to watch.
Well done to the Sports masters and whoever else was involved in initiating these games, hopefully it may evolve into something even better but what a great a start.

Gotheboys

Frank Nicholson (4)
Certainly a great concept like gotheboys I live in gods country and have enjoyed the trial format immensely. The banter on green and gold and the interest in the results each weekend has been great. I might be biased but schoolboy rugby played well is definitely the best rugby to watch.
Well done to the Sports masters and whoever else was involved in initiating these games, hopefully it may evolve into something even better but what a great a start.

i agree Central Best!

Without the sports masters and coaches none of this would be happening

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I assume that the Barker and St Augs victories would each be history making events in the sense that I would be surprised if Barker had beaten Joeys before and would be almost certain that Augs have never beaten Scots before.

There wouldn't have been very many games either between the respective schools.
Barker last beat Joeys in 1979 in a 1st XV game.... happy to be corrected though

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Barker last beat Joeys in 1979 in a 1st XV game.. happy to be corrected though

I'll take your word for it. Highly likely in 1979 as that was the only year in which Joeys finished last in the GPS rugby - with an 8-6 win over Grammar (in controversial circumstances - try awarded with the ball a foot off the ground;))

EDIT: And I'm sure that the celebrations yesterday would have matched those after the 79 win:)

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
I assume that the Barker and St Augs victories would each be history making events in the sense that I would be surprised if Barker had beaten Joeys before and would be almost certain that Augs have never beaten Scots before.

Barker have been playing rugby since 1895 and there have been very many games between the schools. Nevertheless, not too many victories against Joeys I would agree, as is the case for most schools!

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
From Shore Rugby Instagram

267 likes
  • shorerugbyA very good day for Shore Rugby teams today against Trinity. 14 wins and 3 losses from 17 matches. Overall we played 27 matches winning 21 and losing 6.
    Congratulations to our 2nd XV, 3rd XV, 5th XV, 6th XV, 7th XV, 16A, 16B, 15A, 15B, 15C, 15D, 15E, 14A, 14B, 14C, 14D, 14E, 13B, 13C, 13D & 13E teams on their wins. We are also very proud of the performance of our 1st XV today.

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any between 1979 and 2018?

Don't know the answer unfortunately, as quite often the teams have been "offset" against one another as Joeys have been alot stronger across the board. They have played trials against each other in 2016 and 2017 for example, but in 2017 Joeys 2nds played Barker 1sts, and I guess it may have been the same in 2016 which was a a far weaker team for Barker. Maybe Rod Skellett can track down the answer to this one?

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I am cross-posting this on GPS/CSA and ISA Forums. I am trying to put together a full preseason results list for the eight schools playing in the GPS Thirds Comp. These are the results as I have them at the moment. There are gaps and i'm sure errors. All help in rectifying them gratefully received :)

GPS Thirds Eight Schools Competing

St Joseph’s Thirds Results
W 26-7 Riverview Thirds
W 24-21 Scots Thirds
L 24-14 St Aloysius Firsts
W 24-14 St Pats Firsts
W 33-22 Oakhill Firsts
W 24-14 Joeys

Scots Thirds Results
L 24-21 Joey’s Thirds
W 33-5 Newington Thirds
W 44-12 St Pius Firsts
W 19-5 High Firsts

Grammar Firsts Results
L 43-3 St Pats Firsts
L 41-10 St Aloysius Firsts
L 24-6 TAS Firsts
L 50-5 St Gregs Firsts
L 46-11 Cranbrook

TAS Firsts Results
L 41-10 Kinross Firsts
W 24- 6 Grammar Firsts
L 46-14 Cranbrook Firsts
L 39-24 St Gregs Firsts

Kings Thirds Results
W by 50 points Barker Thirds

Shore Thirds Results
W 17-5 Knox Thirds
L 33-12 Joey’s Fourths
W 69-0 Trinity Thirds
W 46-0 Barker Thirds

High Firsts Results
W 41-17 St Pius Firsts
L 19-5 Scots Firsts

Riverview Thirds
W 48-0 Knox Third

L 26-7 Joeys Thirds

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Don't know the answer unfortunately, as quite often the teams have been "offset" against one another as Joeys have been alot stronger across the board. They have played trials against each other in 2016 and 2017 for example, but in 2017 Joeys 2nds played Barker 1sts, and I guess it may have been the same in 2016 which was a a far weaker team for Barker. Maybe Rod Skellett can track down the answer to this one?

Anyway, Saturday's victory is one to remember.:)

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyway, Saturday's victory is one to remember.:)

Congrats to Barker on a well deserved win. In fact congrats to the players and coaches on both sides. As always Joeys never gave up and provided a small scare at the end but they should be proud. Make no bones about it, Barker are a very good side. It was a great hit out for us and will hopefully help us get the rest of the jigsaw pieces into the puzzle. We have the talent in the ranks and will only get better over the next couple of weeks.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Fairly full highlights of St Augustine's defeating Scots yesterday [44mins viewing time]
I just watched steppas video. Thanks mate. I couldn't make the game.

Looked like a quality match. I hope we see this clash become an annual event.

Well done St Augs. They really stood up and pressured Scots into making alot of (so far this season) uncharacteristic errors. Really tested their composure.

The loss, though, is probably well timed. Would have nipped any complacency in the bud and will sharpen Scots focus for the huge game this Saturday against Kings.

Hopefully Williams and Aveyard will return from injury soon. They would be valuable additions to the team and some solid game time for them before the comp gets underway way would be very beneficial.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Thought that the Auggies number 6 had a huge game and lessened the impact of the Scots 6. As the game went on though the bigger Auggies forwards were starting to blow hard.
Scots best I thought was Strang who is such a class halfback. Great ball runner.
The Scots line out negated as the match went on by the big timber of the Auggies 5 who was taken out in the air.
Scots scrum very solid.
I like the way Scots defend at the breakdown. ZERO men commuted with a emphasis on speed and taking the men early behind the gaim line. They work very hard on keeping the player up and ripping at the ball. Use their strength to an advantage.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)

Auggies smashed Scots by 30+ in 2011 or 2012. Can't recall which year

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I like the way Scots defend at the breakdown. ZERO men commuted with a emphasis on speed and taking the men early behind the gaim line. They work very hard on keeping the player up and ripping at the ball. Use their strength to an advantage.

I thought Scots' strategy of trying to hold the man up in contact worked against them somewhat as Auggies bigger carriers like 6 gained easy metres and then were able to wrestle their way to the ground. It's a defensive strategy that works well when Scots have a size and strength advantage, as they do in most games, but against some of the bigger forwards it was found out a bit.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Every year there are moments of great pride in what the young men at Joeys do. Every so often it is the pure instinct and genuine compassion of these young men which leads them to a moment where they, their families and indeed their school can be very proud.

Last Saturday at Cranbrook, Joeys 11th XV which is an all Year 12 team, did exactly that. Rather than me tell the story, it is written more eloquently in the Fitz Files in today’s Sydney Morning Herald.

33689254_10155734224523528_4021002219930255360_n.jpg

Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing Joker.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I'll take your word for it. Highly likely in 1979 as that was the only year in which Joeys finished last in the GPS rugby - with an 8-6 win over Grammar (in controversial circumstances - try awarded with the ball a foot off the ground;))

EDIT: And I'm sure that the celebrations yesterday would have matched those after the 79 win:)

It was also the year Newington won the premiership.In the last game of the season, Newington faced Scots at Stanmore with both teams at the top of the competition. As it was New won 30-0 nil to claim the title. But it was a hard fought season with tough and close games against High W14-12, Shore 12-7 as lead up matches to the Scots game. The only lost was against View L3-18. It was very much a champion team, as opposed to a team of Champions which was the case for Shore and Scots. Sydney High also proved to be a tough and dangerous opponent that year, as well, possessing a brilliant backline.

I think you find that Joeys beat Grammar by 13-6, as the Joeys 5/8 kick a field goal and yes it was their only GPS win that year.

In the CAS, Waves set a very high standard with an impressive 1st XV, although Barker and Aloysius were also very strong.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Still some interesting match-ups before GPS comp starts. Here are the remaining trail games for GPS schools.

format is <GPS school> - <opponent on 2/6>, <opponent on 16/6>

9/6 - no games due to Queens B'Day L/W

Scots - Kings, Joeys
Kings - Scots, Shore
Joeys - Knox, Scots
View - Barker, New
New - Trinity, View
Shore - Waves, Kings