• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Rich_E, If the ARU were real, then of course it can be reversed, if people don't believe that then the game is over.
In my mind it's the same as competing companies, market share can swap depending on what you do/how you market your product. The thing that no one has mentioned is the opinion, if there is one, of the ARU, does anyone know what their plan is/do they have one?

And if the ARU isn't the right body then who is, someone must be responsible.

WLF. Totally agree. Market share trend CAN be reversed but I honestly don't think RU has a clear plan, at least not one they have clearly articulated.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF. Totally agree. Market share trend CAN be reversed but I honestly don't think RU has a clear plan, at least not one they have clearly articulated.

I agree Rich_E, otherwise I suspect it would be known, extremely frustrating for many many people.
You would think they have to answer to someone.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Who do they play QH? I don't think Scots has any AFL sides, yet. Probably in the pipeline though. Not happy if it is. I actually don't mind watching it, occasionally, at an elite level. But it should never have been allowed in GPS and similar schools. Just my personal preference.

The following schools have teams:

Riverview, Shore, Waverley, Knox, Joeys, Alos, Barker, Cranbrook, Newington and Trinity.

I assume that Dr L is keeping it at bay at Scots.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Indeed Rich. Very difficult to articulate a plan when it doesn't exist.

I'm not even sure that they think there's a problem and I'm certain that they have absolutely no idea how to address it anyway.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Indeed Rich. Very difficult to articulate a plan when it doesn't exist.

I'm not even sure that they think there's a problem and I'm certain that they have absolutely no idea how to address it anyway.

Ok, QH and all supporters, let's stop postulating, why don't we drop the ARU a line and ask, I am more than happy too.

I will google it but does anyone happen to know a direct email/line/person etc?

Assuming we get an answer, we can publish it, likewise if we don't, we can broadcast that we received no response.
The ARU can't be allowed to hide, because we are wasting our breadth just talking on this website.

Any comments anyone about a direct approach?

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Common Hasbeen, You agree with me.

Barker looking very good for the CAS!
Of course I agree with you - if I disagreed I would be outside the tent pissing in, not inside the tent pissing out! Gotta get with the programme WLF. Ha ha. The match up tween our teams will be the big event

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Of course I agree with you - if I disagreed I would be outside the tent pissing in, not inside the tent pissing out! Gotta get with the programme WLF. Ha ha. The match up tween our teams will be the big event

Funny bastard, Ok you win this one, Barker 1 Waves 0.

Given recent results, I think you would have to agree that Barker and hot favs for the CAS comp this year, as all other CAS teams have been beaten?

S

sidelineview

To be cynical they had/have no plan and no cash to implement it if they did. They've had bigger fish to fry but this little fish let loose in the pond was never going to stay little. I hope Scots hold out and the Old Boys kick up a fuss.

To be optimistic they were gunna get around to addressing the problem but had/have no cash to combat it.

It would be very interesting to read a statement from the governing bodies about this issue.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is there some growth in Rugby in Victoria? With some traditional AFL schools now fielding Rugby teams?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The following schools have teams:

Riverview, Shore, Waverley, Knox, Joeys, Alos, Barker, Cranbrook, Newington and Trinity.

I assume that Dr L is keeping it at bay at Scots.

What about King's ? I thought it was the first GPS school to have AFL as far back a ten years ago.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Funny bastard, Ok you win this one, Barker 1 Waves 0.

Given recent results, I think you would have to agree that Barker and hot favs for the CAS comp this year, as all other CAS teams have been beaten?

I think Cyclo will shortly kick us back to the CAS hole from which we both crawled out of WLF. As to the competition, sure Barker is doing well, but the number of X factors with schoolboy Rugby is not capable of calculation. I do see the gap between the Barker 1st and the 2nds and the lack of depth that Barker has when compared to schools like Joeys and Waverley. Anything is possible. And with dark horses flexing muscle it is still open in my view.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
1st XV games involving GPS teams this W/E - Tips

Scots v Kings - Kings by 10
Waves v Shore - Waves by 30
Knox v Joeys - Joeys by 30
Barker v View - Barker by 15
Trinity v New - Trinity by 10

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Well another week has passed and those in the kitchens of the various schools have been fine tuning ingredients and looking for the magical flavour.

Scots were stunned last week when they usual tried and true pie was found to wanting in the later stages of the eating. This week I feel Scots will reveal that their Turmeric and ginger chicken fillo pie will do nicely as it has been enhanced with some local additives to give it the size it requires. Kings will try hard as there usual Beef, bacon and mushroom pie will provide a good challenge. Scots by seven frothy milkshakes.

Waves will continue to deliver the goods here and I feel that Shore will put up a better fight. The shoremen are proud of their pies which will see them run out before the end of the 2nd XV match. The Beef, Stilton and suet pies is modeled on the Barker recipe and will be tougher than last week. Waves by three dozen serving trays.

The Knox lads have found that they must try something new. Will the Rice, pine mushroom and Taleggio pie be the answer this week when they host the hungry hoard from Hunters Hill. While black pudding was not the magic ingredient needed last week Joeys are finding that the stomach can handle a simpler Rabbit and wild mushroom pie as long as it does the trick. Joeys by a warren.

Barker will do little to mess with the recipe from last week when the Stilton was particular stiff in their play. Leave it alone. Riverview though must look for sterner material. I have been told that this week they are trying the Pumpkin, Gorgonzola and rosemary pie but really, you need some protein in your game to muscle up with the lads from Waitara. Barker by at least a dozen cream buns.

Trinity continue to defy the odds. It is like a sausage roll that was given up as leftover but still provides some enjoyment. Will the bubble burst on the top of their local decaf soy cappuccino? Newington have been doing soul searching and need a win to gain some momentum. While pork and taro are not easily found there has been a call for a Beef Bourguignonne Pot Pie which takes time to make but will reap rewards in the end. Newington by a three sheets of filo.

mrs%20kings%20pork%20pie_ZOOM__compr.jpg

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Well another week has passed and those in the kitchens of the various schools have been fine tuning ingredients and looking for the magical flavour.

Scots were stunned last week when they usual tried and true pie was found to wanting in the later stages of the eating. This week I feel Scots will reveal that their Turmeric and ginger chicken fillo pie will do nicely as it has been enhanced with some local additives to give it the size it requires. Kings will try hard as there usual Beef, bacon and mushroom pie will provide a good challenge. Scots

As have put my hand up to do the Match Report this weekend at BH,I gotta say, gee, I hope there’s no pies at BH along the ingredients line that you’ve flagged, Joker-man.
1. Chicken doesnt ‘belong’ in any pie. Ever.
2. Wtf is ‘Tumeric’ doing loitering with intent out there??? (Sounds like poison in a pie!)

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
GPS Thirds Preview

Saturday sees the opening of the GPS Thirds competition, won last year by Joey’s thus opening a lead over TAS in the premiership total. It’s shaping as an interesting contest with a number of unknowns.

The leading contender
Like last year, St Joseph’s has to be classified as the team to beat because of their solid pre-season results. Still, the results are not as good as they were last year when it looked like and in the end was a laid down misere. Note the close score in the Scots match.
W 26-7 Riverview Thirds
W 24-21 Scots Thirds
L 24-14 St Aloysius Firsts
W 24-14 St Pats Firsts
W 33-22 Oakhill Firsts

The main challengers
With a solid pre-season, Scots has to be classified as first challenger. They only just lost to Joey’s, while the 19-5 victory over High is a solid result for reasons that I will discuss in a moment.
L 24-21 Joey’s Thirds
W 33-5 Newington Thirds
W 44-12 St Pius Firsts
W 19-5 High Firsts

High are something of a mystery school this year, lurking below the radar. I have not seen a single match report! However, based on limited match results and for the first time in several years, High has to be classified as a contender if behind Scots. They had a solid win against St Pius Firsts and had a creditable result against Scots.
W 41-17 St Pius Firsts
L 19-5 Scots Firsts

TAS also belong in this group, although they only won one match against Grammar. TAS had a pretty solid work-out, more so than usual, in terms of games and level playing against two ISA and one CAS first teams as well as Grammar.
Like High and Grammar, TAS sometimes has a problem with depth because of a smaller number of boys. This year there seems to be a considerable gap between First and Seconds, while the Thirds have only played one game.

The school generally has some good backs, with the team’s final performance depending on the ability of the forwards to hold against often bigger packs.
L 41-10 Kinross Firsts
W 24- 6 Grammar Firsts
L 46-14 Cranbrook Firsts
L 39-24 St Gregs Firsts

I wasn’t sure whether or not to include Grammar in this top group because they have had such a torrid pre-season, including the solid loss to TAS. I have included them for two reasons. First, the results against TAS below the Firsts suggest that Grammar has more depth than TAS to draw from. Secondly, they played against two ISA firsts, two CAS firsts. There were solid losses, but I suspect the team has learned.
L 43-3 St Pats Firsts
L 41-10 St Aloysius Firsts
L 24-6 TAS Firsts
L 50-5 St Gregs Firsts
L 46-11 Cranbrook Firsts

The remaining schools
One difficulty with the remaining three schools is that I have no way of judging results against CAS thirds, while I also have results gaps.

I have two results for View. I have placed them in the bottom group because of the size of the loss against Joey’s.
W 48-0 Knox Thirds
L 26-7 Joeys Thirds

I have only one result for Kings Thirds, a 50 point win over Barker Thirds.

I do have four results for Shore Thirds. Here I am placing greatest weight on Shore’s 33-12 loss to Joey’s Fourths.
W 17-5 Knox Thirds
L 33-12 Joey’s Fourths
W 69-0 Trinity Thirds
W 46-0 Barker Thirds

Based on the limited results that we have, I think that Kings and Shore are likely to be the weakest teams in the competition.

The first round
This Saturday first round will greatly clarify matters. The games are: S v A, E v I, H v K, G v J. It’s always very difficult making predictions, my tipping record is not good, but sticking my neck out.

The Scots v TAS match is critical for both sides. If Scots wins, it will consolidate its position as the lead challenger to Joey’s, while TAS needs to win to stay in the hunt for the premiership. Sentiment says TAS, but results to date suggest Scots.

The Shore v View match will give us a feel for ranking among the teams I have ranked in the bottom three. View to win comfortably.

The Kings v High match will give us a chance to assess High’s real strength. High to win comfortably.

The Grammar v Joey’s match is another critical one. If Grammar were to win, it would throw the whole competition wide open. Grammar is a little unlucky to strike Joey’s first because it gives the Grammar boys their toughest match straight after a tough pre-season. Joey’s to win.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Great write-up Jim. I would add when Shore 3rds lost to Joeys 4ths they hadn't had training that week due to a school camp and have made a number of changes since then (Joeys 4ths are usually also a remarkably strong team). Riverview this week will be a stern test for Shore particularly given that there are apparently a couple of boys in the 3s at Riverview who were in the 2nds last year but declined to play 1sts so have moved down to the 3rds.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Great write-up Jim. I would add when Shore 3rds lost to Joeys 4ths they hadn't had training that week due to a school camp and have made a number of changes since then (Joeys 4ths are usually also a remarkably strong team). Riverview this week will be a stern test for Shore particularly given that there are apparently a couple of boys in the 3s at Riverview who were in the 2nds last year but declined to play 1sts so have moved down to the 3rds.

Thanks, UtG. :) I hope Shore does ok. That's interesting re View. That may make the team stronger, but perhaps not depending on how they mesh with the others.