• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I haven’t seen the other teams play yet but having watched kings and Scots play today I thought both teams look beatable. Scots forwards are strong at recycling and when they get a roll on are dangerous. I thought both teams were below last year’s teams. What does everybody think about these 1st’s teams vs last year’s teams?

From a Scots perspective I think the forward pack is better than last year but the backs have yet to settle and prove themselves to be as good as last year.
In the forwards 2 of Scots best were missing yesterday - Jeremy Williams and Ben Robson.
Jeremy was one of GPS's standout forwards last year.
He should be back playing soon.
Overall I think this years team is slightly better than last years.
Are they beatable.....sure Auggies proved that last week when Scots had a shocker......but even then with Auggies fired up Scots only lost by a single point.
Kings would appear to be the toughest of the GPS competitors this year (with apologies to Joeys who will be looking to prove me wrong in 2 weeks time)
Yesterday Scots had a narrow edge.
The first half was an even tussle but in the second half Scots were the better team.
The talented Kings backs were repelled time and time again being cut down short of the gain line.
Scots defence was outstanding.
Kings were forced to kick to make any headway down the pitch.
Both teams are definite GPS contenders this year.
The quality of the tackling and swift alignment of defence yesterday was exceptional from both.
Kings will just need to find that little bit extra if they want to win the return match.
The rematch is in the final round of the competition at Kings and should be a classic.
However before I am lambasted by followers of the other GPS schools....the competition will be a close contest and based on pre season form 3 or possibly 4 teams could become champions.
Joeys are looking good and the turn around from Newington based on yesterdays result will make them a far sterner test than 3 weeks ago.
Bring it on!

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
From a Scots perspective I think the forward pack is better than last year but the backs have yet to settle and prove themselves to be as good as last year.
In the forwards 2 of Scots best were missing yesterday - Jeremy Williams and Ben Robson.
Are they beatable...sure Auggies proved that last week when Scots had a shocker..but even then with Auggies fired up Scots only lost by a single point.
Kings would appear to be the toughest of the GPS competitors this year (with apologies to Joeys who will be looking to prove me wrong in 2 weeks time)
The first half was an even tussle but in the second half Scots were the better team.
The talented Kings backs were repelled time and time again being cut down short of the gain line.
The quality of the tackling and swift alignment of defence yesterday was exceptional from both.
Kings will just need to find that little bit extra if they want to win the return match.
The rematch is in the final round of the competition at Kings and should be a classic.
However before I am lambasted by followers of the other GPS schools..the competition will be a close contest and based on pre season form 3 or possibly 4 teams could become champions.
Joeys are looking good and the turn around from Newington based on yesterdays result will make them a far sterner test than 3 weeks ago.
Bring it on!
It’s still trials and I guess I was comparing yesterday’s game to the game last year when Scots went out to a 30 point lead and Kings came back and almost got them late. Both teams will probably be much better later this season. Yesterday Scots appeared dominate for most of the game but only won 3 tries to 2 and 1 try was a soft one on one missed tackle by Kings. The game last year at Kings when kings beat Scots by 2-3 points earlier in the season was also a really good one. That year 9 kings winger is a Yasmin look alike.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^^
Agree Wristy.
I thought both sets of back threes in yesterday’s Scots and Kings match - Scots’ Tricks(11), Zucchiatti(14) and Mossman(15), and Kings’ Sua'ali'i(11), Williams(14) and John Connolly(15) - all had good games in pretty trying conditions especially for back threes defending, hookers throwing in, and halves with aspirations to a long cut-out!
It was testament to both defensive lines’ skill and application to the task, that the back threes in particular felt confident to letting opposition kicks roll into touch, let their forwards reclaim control from line out throws, and then back the whole unit defending their own 22’s and goal lines.
Scots did take their time to settle yesterday, despite the first half wind advantage, but they did improve to get a handle on the conditions, playing smarter footy as the game progressed, and largely negating the Kings running downwind advantage in the last quarter of the match.
Of the five tries scored yesterday, Kings’ two were opportunistic, with both coming from lightning-quick responses by their talented young wingers to errors from Scots. Conversely, all of Scots’ three tries came after patient, multiphase, build-ups, followed by well executed break-outs to score.
The Scots forwards, I think, did start to get on top late in the match. Am quite sure they were laying down some markers for reminders in the re-match in a couple of months’ time, which I agree, should be an absolute beauty! ;)

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Calling out to all Kings’ supporters who spectated at Bellevue Hill yesterday.

Can anyone confirm please, or dismiss?, whoever played Flyhalf?

The published Program named Matt Minogue at 10; but I just got some chatter that Minogue may have played at 12? In which case, who played 10 for Kings?

Anything definitive would be appreciated.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^
Withdraw that question.

Have rec’d confirmation that Minogue did play Flyhalf.

He was one of my “Kings’ Best” on the day, match-reporting-wise, so didn’t want to stuff it up!! :)

PicknGo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Are they beatable...sure Auggies proved that last week when Scots had a shocker..but even then with Auggies fired up Scots only lost by a single point.
However before I am lambasted by followers of the other GPS schools..the competition will be a close contest and based on pre season form 3 or possibly 4 teams could become champions.
Bring it on!

No mention on Riverview! Have 8 boys from last years team back, a number of NSW players in the backs and a pack that is starting to look like a major threat. Beat Barker over the weekend following up on wins over Knox and Waverley. Still a few lads to return from injury. Will definitely be in the mix.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Info from AAGPS site (but with dates corrected) on Rep selection and match fixtures.

GPS RUGBY REPRESENTATIVE WEEK FIXTURES 2018

GPS Opens selected and announced on AAGPS website on Saturday 23 June 2018 (pm)

Sunday 24 June
All players and reserves meet at 1.00 p.m – The Scots College
Medical assessment / Reselection as required, light training

Monday 25 June
AAGPS Rugby – all open teams:
3.30 pm – Training, St Joseph’s College Playing Fields, Hunters Hill
5.45 pm – Teams’ Dinner, The Farrell Auditorium St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill

Tuesday 26 June
Fixtures at St Joseph’s College Playing Fields, Hunters Hill
12.30pm – GPS White v GPS Blue
1.45 pm – GPS 2nd XV v CAS 2nd XV
3.00 pm – GPS 1st XV v CAS 1st XV

Thursday 28 June
3.30pm – GPS 1st XV & 2nd XV – Training, venue TBC.
5.30pm – GPS White v CJRU U/18s, Boronia Park, Hunters Hill 6.45pm – GPS Blue v SJRU U/18, Boronia Park, Hunters Hill

Friday 29 June
NSWSRU Carnival @ Venue TBC
1.30pm – GPS 2 v CHS 2
2.40pm – GPS 1 v CHS 1

Sat 30 June
NSWRU Schoolboys Teams announced

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
No mention on Riverview! Have 8 boys from last years team back, a number of NSW players in the backs and a pack that is starting to look like a major threat. Beat Barker over the weekend following up on wins over Knox and Waverley. Still a few lads to return from injury. Will definitely be in the mix.

Yes quite possibly.
The only GPS comparison I have seen though was the 32-7 loss to Kings on May 12th.
If they have improved from there they will certainly be in the mix.
My order based on what I see of pre season form though would be:

1. Scots - range of possible positions 1 to 2
2. Kings - range of possible positions 1 to 3
3. Joeys - range of possible positions 2 to 4
4. Newington - range of possible positions 2 to 5
5. Riverview - range of possible positions 3 to 5
6. Shore - range of possible positions 6

I have no doubt you see it differently PicknGo....what would your order be?

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Yes quite possibly.
The only GPS comparison I have seen though was the 32-7 loss to Kings on May 12th.
If they have improved from there they will certainly be in the mix.
My order based on what I see of pre season form though would be:

1. Scots - range of possible positions 1 to 2
2. Kings - range of possible positions 1 to 3
3. Joeys - range of possible positions 2 to 4
4. Newington - range of possible positions 2 to 5
5. Riverview - range of possible positions 3 to 5
6. Shore - range of possible positions 6

I have no doubt you see it differently PicknGo..what would your order be?

Nice work Wristy.

Similar order for me too, except i rank View at 4 and New at 5, and have slightly different ranges, being Scots 1 - 3, View 2 - 5 and New 3 - 5.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
The TAS pie

As having spent some time in the jewel of New England I can attest to the range of pies on offer at Moxon bakery. This was once the haunt of many a UNE lad staggering home after a pub crawl including Newie, Union, St Kilda and beating the TC lightweights at Impies. The Armidale pie is best represented by a cranberry, cheese and bacon variety. A simple but stunning fare best enjoyed with a pint of something cheap sold at the Wicklow Hotel where many a TAS boy has tried his luck at the bottle shop.What say you Jim?

GetFile.aspx

I don't dine on this particular thread as often these days .....but when i do I'm glad to see that Joker is still hard at it, keeping the all conquering and humble rats coffin and all its gastronomic iterations, at the forefront of our minds ....Well done son!

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Hi sidesteppa. Thanks again for filming and posting. Although I can't watch. I get 'Label worx has blocked it' message. Cheers. Rich

Sorry, viewing is blocked cos of copyright objection to backing music [although same as last week's]. I'll need to take it down & reupload it without it. Unfortunately will take several hrs as it's a 32GB file. :mad:

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
What happened to the big Newington/Aus schoolboy prop Opeti Helu 2016? His highlight reel is spectacular and I keep waiting to see his name in rep sides but there has been nothing.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
MOVED FROM CAS THREAD

Any CAS supporters happy to have a crack at a GPS team, over in the GPS thread. Is more insightful and interesting when it comes from a 'third party'.

I'll have a go at the backline.
9. Albert (R)
10. Savala (S)
11. Latu (N)
12. Easy (R)
13. Bell (R)
14. Zucchiatti (S)
15. Connoilly (K)

Thanks Carl.

Great start. A good mix of size and pace.

I think, from what I've seen (and perhaps with a pinch of bias) that Seb Strang (S) would be close to grabbing the scrummie spot. Both play a great game, but Seb seems to have grown a bit more and offers an extra runnng option in the tight stuff.

Also, at the start of the season, I wouldn't have thought that 14. Zucchiatti (S) was in the mix, but he has certainly come on, proving very hard to stop down the flank, scoring some good tries - against Waves and Kings.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
^^^^

I think that Liam Scolari (11), Dan O'Brien (13) and Nick Wilson (14) - all from Joeys - would be in the running for both wing spots.

Also, shows the depth this year, when Matt Minogue (K10/12), Saul Lewis (N15) and Vinnie Creagh (J10/12) could be in GPS 2.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
^^^^

I think that Liam Scolari (11), Dan O'Brien (13) and Nick Wilson (14) - all from Joeys - would be in the running for both wing spots.

Also, shows the depth this year, when Matt Minogue (K10/12), Saul Lewis (N15) and Vinnie Creagh (J10/12) could be in GPS 2.

The Joeys V Scots trial on 16 June at Hunters Hill should make the logistics a lot easier for selectors! Based on results thus far during the trial period, not only will rep selections be extremely competitive, but the GPS Comp could be tighter than many expect with strong recent results from Newington and Riverview. IMHO Shore would be the only team incapable of winning the Comp

Can we clone Sidesteppa to video at multiple venues for the GPS final round :)

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Hi Lads and GPS schoolboy rugby followers.

Having seen a few GPS sides play this year, I have decided to throw my hat in the ring and choose a GPS 1st XV to take on CAS later this month at Joeys.

1. Angus Bell (N)
2. Will McLennon (I)
3. Archer Holz (K)
4. Hugh Boerkman (j)
5. Charlie Cale (K)
6. Junior Smidt (I)
7. Brett Wellington (S)
8. Jeremy Williams (S) Capt
9. Seb Strang (S)
10. Charlie Sevala (S)
11. Joseph Sua'ali'i (K)
12. Dom Easy (I)
13. Angus Bell (I) Vice Capt
14 Jordan Williams (K)
15. Hamish Mac Smith (K)

The positions I struggled with were hooker and fullback. From what I have seen there is no GPS hooker who can match the all round game of Barker's Billy Pollard.

I went for McLennon (I) at 2 as he he has done everything right so far this year for View and he has plenty of gas in his tank and can run all day for a big lad.

Again with fullback, it is a tough position and my reasoning for putting Mac Smith from Kings out of position, is that he is just to good a player not to have in the side.

The following players I struggled to find a spot for in this team.

Will Harris from Scots is yet to play I gather and may get selected on reputation alone having played NSW2 last year.

Also Minogue from Kings is a class player and will now doubt make the GPS sides somewhere at 10 but I went for Savala as he is combining well with Strang at 9 and is a big unit so can take the hits that no doubt Reimer and Moretti have in store for him.

On my selections, I think this is a formidable forward pack with class all over it and some big lads. Junior Smidt is a standout 6 and I think will go close to being a Aust Schoolboy this year.

Wellington will be versing Reimer (B) for the open side flanker spot in the NSW team in my opinion, while the Williams and Moretti matchup will make selectors scratch their heads.

In the backs, young Joseph Sua'ali'i is a huge talent and despite being lost to League, deserves his spot as does his King's team mate Williams who just shaded Tricks from Scots for the other wing . The centre pairing of Easy and Bell are fast strong and defensively sound.

The front row is a good one. Archer Holz has been outstanding this year and Angus Bell and his Newington team mates are finding form at the right time.

The CAS v GPS game will be a cracker this year.

The forward battle will be intense and I think the mongrel and and intensity that Reimer Pollard and Moretti bring to the game for CAS will keep them in the game. The difference this year is that there is no Donaldson, Hardacker or speedsters like Lloyd for CAS and I hate to say this but I think the speed and class of the GPS backs will be the difference this year.

GPS to win by 14...... Gosh I would love to be wrong on that call

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Hi Lads and GPS schoolboy rugby followers.

Having seen a few GPS sides play this year, I have decided to throw my hat in the ring and choose a GPS 1st XV to take on CAS later this month at Joeys.

1. Angus Bell (N)
2. Will McLennon (I)
3. Archer Holz (K)
4. Hugh Boerkman (j)
5. Charlie Cale (K)
6. Junior Smidt (I)
7. Brett Wellington (S)
8. Jeremy Williams (S) Capt
9. Seb Strang (S)
10. Charlie Sevala (S)
11. Joseph Sua'ali'i (K)
12. Dom Easy (I)
13. Angus Bell (I) Vice Capt
14 Jordan Williams (K)
15. Hamish Mac Smith (K)

The positions I struggled with were hooker and fullback. From what I have seen there is no GPS hooker who can match the all round game of Barker's Billy Pollard.

I went for McLennon (I) at 2 as he he has done everything right so far this year for View and he has plenty of gas in his tank and can run all day for a big lad.

Again with fullback, it is a tough position and my reasoning for putting Mac Smith from Kings out of position, is that he is just to good a player not to have in the side.

The following players I struggled to find a spot for in this team.

Will Harris from Scots is yet to play I gather and may get selected on reputation alone having played NSW2 last year.

Also Minogue from Kings is a class player and will now doubt make the GPS sides somewhere at 10 but I went for Savala as he is combining well with Strang at 9 and is a big unit so can take the hits that no doubt Reimer and Moretti have in store for him.

On my selections, I think this is a formidable forward pack with class all over it and some big lads. Junior Smidt is a standout 6 and I think will go close to being a Aust Schoolboy this year.

Wellington will be versing Reimer (B) for the open side flanker spot in the NSW team in my opinion, while the Williams and Moretti matchup will make selectors scratch their heads.

In the backs, young Joseph Sua'ali'i is a huge talent and despite being lost to League, deserves his spot as does his King's team mate Williams who just shaded Tricks from Scots for the other wing . The centre pairing of Easy and Bell are fast strong and defensively sound.

The front row is a good one. Archer Holz has been outstanding this year and Angus Bell and his Newington team mates are finding form at the right time.

The CAS v GPS game will be a cracker this year.

The forward battle will be intense and I think the mongrel and and intensity that Reimer Pollard and Moretti bring to the game for CAS will keep them in the game. The difference this year is that there is no Donaldson, Hardacker or speedsters like Lloyd for CAS and I hate to say this but I think the speed and class of the GPS backs will be the difference this year.

GPS to win by 14.. Gosh I would love to be wrong on that call

Apologies GPS followers. I have Will Harris and Jeremy Williams the wrong way around. Please sub Will Harris into 8 and Capt and put Jeremy Williams on the injury list