• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Would make sense to extend combos to:

9 Strang (S)
10 Savala (S)

12 Easy (I)
13 Bell (I)

11 Williams (K)
14 Sua'ali'i (K)
15 Connolly (K)

Not saying must have, but would be quality backline.

Very good backline add Tricks (11) Scots and u have all the combos and set pieces sorted.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I agree. Im not here to argue whether Harrison is better than Donaldson or vice versa. But it seems clear to me that Aust selectors had decided that Harrison was their first choice for 10 and requested that NSW play Donaldson and Woodcock at 15 to see whether they may be options for that position. Which turned out well for Donaldson, all things considered ie playing 15 would have to have been better than not making schoolboys at all.

Rich_E and HTR,

I think we all agree this is an argument difficult to prove because it depends on the players, selectors opinions etc.
But on this particular conversation I will add some more context.
Firstly Bell,Donaldson and Harrison had all played together for the Randwick juniors for many years, side by side, and that team actually won the NSW state Championships several times. The point is they had a fabulous winning combo.

IMO the back line in last years AS had a problem at Inside centre and it just didn't work. So for selectors to assume, without playing in the trials that a boy was a given is ridiculous, I do think however that Harrison is a (great player) but should have gone to IC. You might remember when Donaldson finally went to 10, the backs looked much more fluent, and he is not a 15.
So to say at least a player made it, in a position that clearly isn't his best, isn't the answer in my opinion. ie if you are serious about winning.
The bottom line is we lost, to a better side, but we never really fired a shot.

I also disagree that it doesn't matter who plays beside you, I think it certainly does.
After school rep footy there will be plenty of time to play with different people and further develop.
If this discussion is about picking winning teams at schoolboy level, then my choice is to pick winning combinations.
The GPS combination choices are very good.

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
Would make sense to extend combos to:

9 Strang (S)
10 Savala (S)

12 Easy (I)
13 Bell (I)

11 Williams (K)
14 Sua'ali'i (K)
15 Connolly (K)

Not saying must have, but would be quality backline.

Would easy make it without bell. Or would strang make it without savala??? Just general question. Been told easy defence questionable with most teams targeting him. Kings very vocal about it (2nd hand info)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yes I’m sure it helped but maybe they had the best players. This was not the strategy for GPS teams of the past and they had major success.

GPS have picked combinations before, maybe not so much in the backline but I know for a fact they have picked players in the 1s because of lineout jumping ability.

Reactions: WLF

Gilly

Herbert Moran (7)
Just spotted this video of Johnny Connolly - Kings 15. Consideted by many as potential GPS 1s 15.

Certainly very talented, would like to see him at 10 a bit more. His greatest challenge will be balancing 15s and 7s and the demands from coaches and selectors in both. I'm sure there are a number of other players with the same dilemna

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Anyone out there know much about the GPS 16As? Broadly, how have the teams gone in the trials? Which teams are the strongest / most likely to take out an 'unofficial' 5 game one round comp? Cheers.

Here's what I know, the scores from Scots 16As games

35 - 5 vs Stannies
25 - 5 vs Newington
19 - 29 vs Waverley
26 - 0 vs St Augs
31 - 17 vs Kings
12 - 31 vs Joeys

Would suggest Scots are strong, but Joeys would appear to be one of the teams to beat. Anyone else? I know nothing about View or Shore.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Anyone out there know enough about the GPS 16As? Broadly, how have the teams gone in the trials? Which teams are the strongest / most likely to take out an 'unofficial' 5 game one round comp? Cheers.

Rich_E, Joeys U16s are undefeated having beaten Marist Canberra 45-12, Trinity 57-5, Barker 24-0 and Knox 31-5 from the CAS and Auggies from the ISA 20-0.

Against GPS they defeated Scots 31-12 and Shore 33-0.

Over to others for commentary on other teams and the fortunes of the U16s!

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Rich_E, Joeys U16s are undefeated having beaten Marist Canberra 45-12, Trinity 57-5, Barker 24-0 and Knox 31-5 from the CAS and Auggies from the ISA 20-0.

Against GPS they defeated Scots 31-12 and Shore 33-0.

Over to others for commentary on other teams and the fortunes of the U16s!

Thanks ACS.

Thats great info.

If others in the know could post similar info, we could get a good sense of where each of the schools sits in 16As.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Thanks ACS.

Thats great info.

If others in the know could post similar info, we could get a good sense of where each of the schools sits in 16As.

Shore 16A’s have lost all games except vs Trinity. They played Waverley x 2, Barker, Knox, Kings and Joeys.

In the games they lost, they were competitive for good stretches but still had 30-40 pts put on them each game.

Joeys probably the most impressive team so far but Kings outside backs were really effective when they had clean wide ball. Kings vs Joeys will be a good game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
Just curious, does Joey's have any of their 16's playing up in Opens? From what I've seen, Kings, Scots and Newington all have at least a couple.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Just curious, does Joey's have any of their 16's playing up in Opens? From what I've seen, Kings, Scots and Newington all have at least a couple.

I think there is only Sam Kanaan who is a talented Fullback in 2nds and has represented in Firsts. There may be a prop as well learning his trade in Seconds. A huge lad with a lot of raw talent. Will be one to watch in the years ahead.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joeys 16A..
v Marist WIN 45-12
V St Aug WIN 20-0
V Shore WIN 33-0
V Trin WIN 57-5
V Bar C WIN 24-0
V Knox WIN 31-5
V Scots WIN 31-12

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Anyone know how View's 16As have gone?

They had a 21-19 loss to New last Saturday and New have only lost to Scots this year.

New have had/will probably have 3 of their better players in the 1sts/2nds instead of 16As.

I think historically the age group is reasonably even with the exception of Shore (who had to pull out of the 15As last year).

I saw Kings play a few times last year and they were exceptionally good.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Tips for first round of GPS 1sts this Sat. Is repeat of matches played on 12/5 but with switch of home ground advantage. Im predicting same winners, but not by as much.

Tips for this Sat.

S v N - S by 15
E v J - J by 30
K v I - K by 10

Scores from 12/5 trials.

S 54 - N 0
J 82 - E 0
K 32 - I 7

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Mmmmm....my oven tis on the blink.
Will be making my fearless recipe predictions tomorrow.
Expect a surprise or two.