• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Thanks HB, I am very busy these days having written four new subjects for the HSC. These subjects are Australian and Global Politics, Strategic Studies in the Asia/Pacific Region, Conflict and Power in the Middle East and Defence Studies. Subjects that boys from GPS schools would love. The Minister of Education, Rob Stokes, likes them. I feel the next step is get the GPS schools, particularly their Headmaster's behind them. Learning about these subjects could be as exciting as playing Rugby.

Sounds like a perfect resume to write the match reports for GPS matches each week B & W!.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Nice to be back. Will be very interested in watching SJC this season. The mathematics has shown that the drought will end this season and will be followed by a lot of rain. It is a cyclical phenomenon that has been examined by a fellow supporter who has seen every Joeys game since 1953! He is a retired mathematics teacher who predicted the Joeys droughts in the 60's and 70's and 90's.

Anyway good to be back.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Sounds like a perfect resume to write the match reports for GPS matches each week B & W!.

Regrettably, I maybe heading to the UK to work, this could occur in next couple of weeks. Simply put, the Poms value History more than we Aussies do. So there are more opportunities to teach over there.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Regrettably, I maybe heading to the UK to work, this could occur in next couple of weeks. Simply put, the Poms value History more than we Aussies do. So there are more opportunities to teach over there.

All the best B & W and look I look forward to your postings from afar. Any Newingtonian you care to nominate/offload to?

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
All the best B & W and look I look forward to your postings from afar. Any Newingtonian you care to nominate/offload to?

Many thanks Armchair Selector, Quick Hands would be my first choice, he is a father of a player in our very strong u/14s age group and as such is in an excellent position to offer a Newington perspective.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You might give us some personal observations on the development of elite schoolboys in the English setup after you've run your eye over them.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
You might give us some personal observations on the development of elite schoolboys in the English setup after you've run your eye over them.

Yes, Lindommer, as I would love to, but it does depends on the school I be teaching at in the UK. Some of their leading Independent Schools, such as Charterhouse and Winchester don't play Rugby, but instead Football. Equally, their Government Schools from previous experience in the UK are Football Mad.

There is no Joeys in the UK, rather the schools are more like Barker and Oakhill. Co-educationl,Liberal selection of sports, fielding about 20 teams for the main Rugby schools. They start in the U/14s as the U/13s are Prep School teams. Their open divisions rarely go down below a 6thXV.

The best Rugby School in the UK is Wellington College, who have a selective Rugby Intake. As rule they field 5 in the 14s,5 in the 15s, 4 in the 16s and 5 or 6 in the opens.Hence, the school is closer to St.Augustines College, rather than Joeys.

So I will endeavour to report on UK Schoolboy Rugby, but it could an occasional effort depending on my location and the Schools in the area. Like Australia, Rugby is very much a Middle Class Game over there, but unlike Australia it is far more dispersed throughout the UK.

Its likely, I be teaching as a full-time Casual and will not get a full-time appointment until September. Which is when their School boy Rugby term begins. Possibly, I might even start A UK Schoolboy forum like the GPS,CAS and ISA. Thereby, adding to Green & Gold's coverage of Schoolboy Rugby. And that could be something to look forward extending the Rugby Season beyond Australia.

BAR

Chris McKivat (8)
I've heard that Sydney High has 10 new players in the 1st XV, could make for an interesting season. They played a trial against SACs on Saturday, with High 1st XV playing in the first half, and the 2nd XV playing the second half (Both against Andrew's 1sts). The High firsts won their half, however the seconds got scored on 3 times, ultimately losing the game.

It will be another interesting season for High; They have two players to watch: A. Fox who played Halfback two years ago and 10 last year, (I'm not too sure what he's playing this year) and W.Choi who played in the 16s (I think) last year who is playing somewhere in the forwards. Both players have represented in the CHS so might be able to lead them well this season.

As a reference point, it's worth noting that the SACS 1st XV played without props and had four year 10 boys backing up after playing the first half of the earlier U16s match. Had High's 1st XV stayed on into the second half I suspect they might have opened SACS up a bit. I'm not sure High got into top gear on Saturday but with "10 new players" it'll probably take a few games for them to gel. A lack of player numbers for SACS will probably mean that it'll be a character building year for them in the 16s and 1st XV.

forruckssake

Bob McCowan (2)
I come to this GPS thread from the ISA as a Pats supporter, a very big leap indeed.

But if there are any Grammar rugby followers alive, how many teams will they be fielding this season in the Opens?
Also, is there any reason to why the Riverview and Joeys boys have been matched up against Pats in this years' batch of trials?

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I come to this GPS thread from the ISA as a Pats supporter, a very big leap indeed.

But if there are any Grammar rugby followers alive, how many teams will they be fielding this season in the Opens?
Also, is there any reason to why the Riverview and Joeys boys have been matched up against Pats in this years' batch of trials?

There are indeed Grammar rugby supporters still alive! I would be interested in the answer to your question too. There were some references earlier, but not sure what the outcome was. And with St Pats, Riverview and Joeys, its important this year to know which level is playing which

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Inside Shoulder is your man.

Apparently does frequent this site.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I believe three, but I’m not completely wired in this year.
On the little I saw they are small - even by grammar standards.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Newington has announced its new Headmaster starting 2019, its Mr Peter Parker, a former English Master at the school from 2002-2007. He also served as a Deputy Headmaster at Cranbrook and currently is the Headmaster of Oxley College at Bowral. He is a believer in Holistic Education, so Rugby and other sports are likely be encouraged and supported. He is also an excellent Teacher having been a subject of ABC program that highlighted teachers of excellence. Additionally, he is also an author of numerous books.

Knowing the Newington character and the need for a boys centric education, he should be a worthy addition to the school's leadership cadre. Hopefully, Rugby, will to continue to grow yet maintaining, a well balanced education of liberal tolerance with other major sports such as Soccer.

He has big shoes to fill, with the retirement of DR Daivid Mulford, but having meet him personally, I believe Rugby is safe. Particularly, as the schools number's are growing with over 2,000 students spread over three campuses(1,350 I believe in the main campus).

Quick Hands, if you have any information on Rugby numbers at Newington it would be much appreciated.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^^^is that a job application?
More a advertisement for the type of school Newington is and what it has to offer. Its a school moving forward with expanding enrolments, offering a liberal education for a 21st Century Australia with both the HSC and IB. Based on my contact with the teachers at Newingtonand their professionalism, together with its educational culture I believe Newington will offer your boys IS a superb education both within the classroom and outside the classroom. Mind you so will other GPS and CAS schools. But Newington, I feel will do the best job, then again I only see things in Black & White.

Quick Tap

Frank Row (1)
GPS 2018 season has begun for Riverview
View had its first trial hit out against a strong Marist side at GIO Stadium.It doesn't get better than that.
View looked strong in the forwards dominating the scrums and scoring two tries from driving mauls off the back of strong line out wins. Ahead 24-7 at half time gave View the room to utilise their young bench. Marist rallied late in 2nd half with two intercept tries against the run of play. Full time score 29-26 Riverview.
Best for Riverview
Albert 9 kicked Riverview into good position
Bell 13 strong in defence and attack
Brown 4 dominated in line outs and rucks
Dutaillis 14 dangerous with ball in hand
Best for Marist
8 broke line defence
13 dangerous in attack

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Spiderman is the new headmaster?

2019 Newington 1st XV strip revealed