• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Joeys priority is the boys first, hence they get the best seats in the house and makes them easy to contain.
The opposition student supporters do though get seats provided on the eastern touchline which is the same as Shore do. Not many schools provide this.

Back in 1998, Joeys paid for temporary grandstand seats at thr southern end of the ground when they played TKS for the title and it was televised on the ABC. Joeys had three games broadcast but then the AAGPS agreed that privacy of kids came first and all agreed (yes, even $cots) to not allow this to happen again. The Dark Empire though still broadcast their touch football sevens tournament online but you will note not many GPS schools send teams to this propaganda/scouting event.

Why the cheap shot at The Scots Sevens event Joker?
Sevens has really taken off the last few years and a number of GPS boys have used this as a pathway to higher rugby.
For a propaganda/scouting event the promotion has been very low key.
The event is shown online for the overseas and interstate teams whose parents and followers are unable to attend.
Can you please refrain from further childish jibes.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Why the cheap shot at The Scots Sevens event Joker?
Sevens has really taken off the last few years and a number of GPS boys have used this as a pathway to higher rugby.
For a propaganda/scouting event the promotion has been very low key.
The event is shown online for the overseas and interstate teams whose parents and followers are unable to attend.
Can you please refrain from further childish jibes.

Noted. Thank you

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorry Pirate. They do not. This is due to the agreement the GPS Heads made in 2011 regarding maintaining student privacy. Official videos are not shared publicly. There are though some people (Steppa for example) who take good quality video but overall all it is limited. Joeys have been clamping down on people (not associated with the schools) taking photos and video.
Someone must be giving the Roar video highlights. There are 2 quality highlight vids of Joeys v New, and a Barker Waverly one.

Somehow they are being released into the public domain.

Someone had access to Hudl.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Joeys are very funny about photographers on their sacred ground

I gather you are definitely expected to get permission . if you have your monster camera

and high profile photographers have been unceremoniously removed is my understanding

other than that Joeys definitely has some nice protocols that they seem to follow . adds to the aura

although personally it would be nice to get some more seating . as the ground sure does host some ding-dong battles

Do they still ban bagpipes at Hunter's Hill?;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It promises to be a big day at Stanmore on Saturday with the annual "Back to Newington" day festivities. There will be two BBQs (the rugby BBQ and the "big" BBQ, as well as the taste of Tonga stand, the AFL gourmet pie stand and the little bit of Lebanon stand. And more.) So bring your appetites and make a day of it if you're visiting from North Parramatta!

In terms of rugby :), games on Johnson start with New 6ths vs Kings 8ths at 845am, leading up to the big game at 3.15. Other games of particular interest may be the 16As on Johnson at 1245, the 13As on Old Boys #2 at 1pm and the 15As at 10am on Old Boys #2. Unfortunately, the 14s are at Tempe, starting with the 14Es at 8am and the 14As at 12 but it's worth the journey to see the future of black and white rugby.

It's always a good day with a lot on. A reminder too that parking at Stanmore is spectacularly bad at the best of times and will be worse this Saturday.

Yes, the 14s are banished to the badlands.
2fjc47.jpg

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Quickhands, no bagpipes?! At hunters hill ... that is a bit mean.

That joeys 2nds team has that many good players... players tipped to be in ones... like nick jones... wasn't he an Aussie schools under 16 prop
I almost wonder if they are stacking the team, or there have been behavioural issues?

Anyway the 1sts thu 3rds fixtures should hold some interest at Bellevue hill

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
And then there was one. Last Saturday’s results made the final table clearer as results took an almost predictable turn. Yes, the Kings Cattle boys had a good victory at Hunters Hill with the predicted Holstein herd too large for the cattle dogs. It was only the sprightly lambs of the Catholic Kids who frolicked later in the game that allowed Joeys in with a whiff. Newington Wookies were as predictable at being unpredictable. What was dragged from the underground oven was not the most pleasant meal and ever improving Riverview (cheered on by the Loretto girls camped inside daddy’s new Mercedes 4WD) took the chicken curry puffs and water cress sandwiches but left the pork rolls alone. The Dark Empire, as was foreseen by Darth Lambert, defeated (but not decimated) the brave northern Shore men using the tried a true play book modelled on General Rommel’s African corp. Grind them into the ground and then let the heavy artillery have respite as the ground troops mop up the rest. Will this tactic work again? Is there hope somewhere in the GPS universe to stop them? Let’s see what this weekend holds.

Shore vs Riverview at Stirling bridge Battle ground.
The Shore men took great pride (and plenty of after game supper I’m told) from lasts weeks tussle with the Empire. Predictably they bravely took plenty of punishment in the first half, it was the resting of the Empires heavier, stronger weapons that allowed them the chance to find some consistency and provide evidence of that elusive “weakness” in the Death Star. Scots have fearsome “up and in” defense and no brave team has yet to breech. Shore gave a small insight to breaking this with a short kick behind the defense which allowed the Brave hearts to hurry through and take the ball and score. Adaptation in the face of adversity is the key. Shore on the wind-swept battle grounds of North “Stirling” Bridge are not an easy prospect. The Shore coaching staff may try to adopt the new recipe against the ever-improving Riverview team. This said, Riverview are enjoying a late season surge (like the aftertaste of a Chateau Feret Lambert Bordeaux) that may see them finish much higher on the ladder. The recipe of choice is hard to predict but pundits in Lane Cove has realized than when properly motivated by the promise of large hot chips with chicken salt from Big Barra Seafoods,the Riverview team can achieve wonders. View’s downside though is their genetically inherited over-confidence, as is the practice of those who are driven to school by nannies in BMW’s, and could be surprised when venturing away from safe confines the Lane Cove Mall. Riverview, I feel shall need a few more supporters on the eastern sideline to help. Shore will be there in large noisy numbers. They smell a chance of an upset. Heaven forbid, View may even ask the Monte girls to come along with the promise that the Riverview boys may consider speaking to them at the Lane Cove Market Square. Riverview by a case of Mudgee reds

Newington vs Kings battle on Planet Kashyyyk
This weekend the Black and White faithful gather upon the hallowed grounds Stanmore for their annual pilgrimage of all things Wyvern. Tribes from across the south pacific, the Harold Matthew Cup team and various colorful racing identities will converge on Kashyyyk Number 1. Last weekend’s Newington’s offering of Kapisi Pulu (Cabbage And Corned Beef In Coconut Milk) was sour and many pundits were thinking that a dish of LO'I FEKE (Octopus in Coconut Cream) will be a better idea this weekend. Newington will need the eight arms of an octopus to wrap up the Holstein Herd from Parramatta who will be bringing their dust soaked utes, large picnic tables with a sensible spread of perfect crust-free tuna and cucumber sandwiches, British strawberries, Queen Victoria's chocolate ganache sponge and jam pennies (crust-free jam sandwiches the size of an old English penny). How will the clash of menus go? Newington will hopefully serve up to the faithful a much more consistent effort than their last outing against View. There is some fire yet to be belched from the Newington Dragon. Much will depend upon how they handle the land tanks of Kings who brushed aside the aggressive Joeys blue heelers. Kings will be building to make the final stand on behalf of all free star systems everywhere when they face down the Dark Empire in the final round. Kings will not wish to let anything other than a rock-hard lavender meringue with strawberry cream be the norm on the day. Close to call but Kings by at least a dozen melon and prosciutto with blue cheese wraps.

Scots vs St Joseph’s on the Death Star main oval
Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away……. Throughout this season the Bellevue faithful have witnessed one of the most impressive teams assembled in the past decade. Russian fit, scientifically fine-tuned, supplemented with all the best the Scots Sports has to offer, then trained by the best coaches in the marketplace. Such is the domination that many can see nothing but total and utter annellation of the Joeys boys who make their way again to the sacrificial altar that is the Death Star. The lust for GPS glory has long poisoned the mind of the leader ship and even the Scots Imperial Senate was swept aside in this quest for world domination. So, what will happen this weekend.

1. Scots will win with the same cold, ruthless efficiency by using the ultra “blitzkrieg” tactics that have been employed so far in 2017. They have been destructive in defense first which sets up the 1st half victory. This is when they power down their weapons of mass destruction and send in the secondary foot soldiers to hold the fort while the super fortresses are rested.
OR

2. Joeys will be smarter than people think and exploit a weakness only the keenest of eye have recently seen.

Those who enjoy Sidesteppa’s video will have noted the following about the Empires game plan. The rush up defense with larger storm troopers being placed on the oppositions 10/12 players has made attacking the Scots line difficult. These defending troopers strangle any creativity for the opposition men out wide by hurting the inside backs. No side has yet burst Scots open. Shore showed in their second half that can score by using small kicks behind the line to allow them a chance but as well, place doubt in the Scots defenders who may then hang back. This creates space, space is what Joeys want. In addition, Scots do not cover the inside, alternate angle of an opposition at the breakdown. Think George Cregan to Owen Finnegan pass which worked so well against the French and All Blacks. This pass will only draw the Imperial walkers back towards the breakdown which will free up the opposition backs to run at an equally sized defense. Joeys one-on-one works well after last weeks efforts against Kings. IMHO they do have a talented back line with Captain “Solo” Creagh a real danger if given room. The Joeys lads will want their spring lambs to run freely in open space. This weekend the Joeys backs must be more red kangaroo in their approach. Fast, fearless, aggressive and out run the slower Scots troopers over the entire game. If Joeys are to win it, it will be at the back end and not at the beginning of the game. Will it happen? What ever does prevail it will provide even more detail on where the Dark Empire can be attacked and with that in mind, Kings may be our universe’s final hope. Scots by a dozen Pulmer Road burgers.
Joeys training the new wingers

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Quickhands, no bagpipes?! At hunters hill . that is a bit mean.

That joeys 2nds team has that many good players. players tipped to be in ones. like nick jones. wasn't he an Aussie schools under 16 prop
I almost wonder if they are stacking the team, or there have been behavioural issues?

Indeed SDW, as I'm sure the Joker will confirm the pipes aren't welcome at HH.

keenas

Stan Wickham (3)
Quickhands, no bagpipes?! At hunters hill . that is a bit mean.

That joeys 2nds team has that many good players. players tipped to be in ones. like nick jones. wasn't he an Aussie schools under 16 prop

yes it would appear something is amiss Nick jones, Nick Chan 1's last year highly unlikely their ability has deserted them, luv a heads up somewhere along the line.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Hi Guys, bagpipes were banned at hunters hill way back in 1997 if my memory serves me correctly. Back when Joeys were the Dark Empire....how times have changed.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
I’m hearing the Scots 8 is off to the dark side, the real dark side that is, Rugby League. Another fantastic player lost. I don’t know myself but I hear that there are no ‘professional’ opportunities in rugby straight out of school vs league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m hearing the Scots 8 is off to the dark side, the real dark side that is, Rugby League. Another fantastic player lost. I don’t know myself but I hear that there are no ‘professional’ opportunities in rugby straight out of school vs league.

7's sometimes pick up a few.

The are a few development contracts handed out by some of the Super sides. These only around 10k.

Was reports on this site that Raelene had initiated some activity at school boy level to retain some up and coming superstars. But the source and accuracy of that I am not sure of.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Joker

Greg Davis (50)

Such a shame to lose young talent but this is the new practice for League clubs to keep talented players.
Pay for a few years of education to lock them in after school.

George Topham was such a player at Scots. He weighed about 7 stone wringing wet, yet never failed to grab the ball and charge into the teeth of the defence when the forwards were going backwards. He would shame the big blokes into putting in. A career of great potential tragically cut short by spinal / neck problems when he started playing league at Souths then Newtown.