• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
He can be found on an online blog if you know where to look.
IS had a recent epic war on the scholarship thread re Waverley. Haven't heard much from him since.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
As previously discussed, if your "rank" doesn't take into account the IB (which comprises over 25% of Year 12 at Newington and in which 80% of the candidates receive and ATAR of over 90), then your "rankings" are a nonsense.

Please provide the criteria (the "facts" of which you speak) on which you are ranking these schools. I suspect that you are just using SMH tables published after the HSC each year. If so, the criteria itself is by no means universally accepted and if the criteria doesn't take into account IB scores (which I suspect it doesn't), then you can't include schools which offer the IB in your rankings.

If my suspicions are correct, then your "facts" aren't facts at all. They are merely your "opinion" based on reading a newspaper column (which itself provides incomplete and contested data) in December each year.

Do you apply ICSEA rankings to moderate raw scores? Do you look at the quartile of parental income for each school and then compensate for its impact? Do you factor in % of students from non-English speaking backgrounds?

Arrr, I have hit a nerve with the Joeys, Scots and Newington crowd. Im aware of the weaknesses of the smh rankings. IB scores are given an equivalent ATAR and the schools provide various levels of ATAR info which allows you to put it together. You can look for yourself. I think you know that I’m right. Joeys, Scots and Newington academics are terrible. The Scots council recently debated the current focus and spending on sport. The council voted unanimously in favour of continuing it. I don’t mind this approach because at least they will be good at something!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Arrr, I have hit a nerve with the Joeys, Scots and Newington crowd. Im aware of the weaknesses of the smh rankings. IB scores are given an equivalent ATAR and the schools provide various levels of ATAR info which allows you to put it together. You can look for yourself. I think you know that I’m right. Joeys, Scots and Newington academics are terrible. The Scots council recently debated the current focus and spending on sport. The council voted unanimously in favour of continuing it. I don’t mind this approach because at least they will be good at something!

OEP, I am not a GPS follower but...
I would hope you would like to retract on that last stupid comment.
Joeys, Scots, Newington and many other non selective schools are extremely good schools. To suggest that academia is king is not intelligent but rather naive.
You seem to think the world revolves around academia, in the majority of careers it most certainly does not, in fact many jobs are more useful than most Uni delivered careers, of which I am one. So happy to call a spade a spade.

Cutting through all the BS about schools and their superiority in ATAR results, I think you will find, as I have been very reliably told, that unless it is a selective school, those boys who apply themselves in some of the schools you have highlighted, and many others, achieve solid results because they are already driven,and have strong teaching assistance.
For example, quite a number of last years Aussie school boys also did extremely well in last years ATAR.

Suggest you set up an academic website if that is suitable to you and others but this is footy talk.

Otherwise take your 1 dimensional and unacademic/stupid " at least they will be good at something" comment with you.
IT'S DUMB.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

Not hitting a nerve, you are just making profoundly intellectually incompetent comments, that would see you obtain a double "FF (Folau Fainga'a)" at any University that has a Faculty of Education. Rather you are, an amateur propagandist for another school..

So which school are you representing

What was the academic methodology you employed to obtain your assessment.

What primary sources did you access to support your argument.

What level of academic and professional qualifications do you have to make such assertions.

Have you ever conducted university research in an educational capacity.

I suspect none of the above.

Rather, your comments are due to an agenda that represents an unsubstantiated attack on these great schools. Your last comment about Scots" being good at one thing" exposes a rathe nasty and vindictive outlook, that further destroys any creditability you might have, in these malicious attacks.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Twas the topic of today's school assembly @ Scots

2878029-star-wars-star-wars-the-force-awakens___movie-wallpapers.jpg

Dr Wright and the Shore School Council are meeting to plan their response.

editroyal-collection-trustc-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-2016_1.jpg

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Scots have named same team as last week, except Gavin is out. Presumably due to the head knock he received late in the View game. Replaced by Moore who played a few games at 7 when Robson was out injured.

Ive also heard that the Scots 2nd rower, Seamus King, who was cleaned out in the Waves game had his leg broken in that incident and has not played since. Although I believe he is recovering ok and may get a game or two in before the end of the season.
Do you have any idea how Scots 3s have been travelling this season?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Armchair, unfortunately I cannot be at HH ... can you share the Joeys team lists ... as I think the backline match up is going to be a cracker

hopefully sidesteppa turns up

keenas

Frank Nicholson (4)
Scots have named same team as last week, except Gavin is out. Presumably due to the head knock he received late in the View game. Replaced by Moore who played a few games at 7 when Robson was out injured.

Ive also heard that the Scots 2nd rower, Seamus King, who was cleaned out in the Waves game had his leg broken in that incident and has not played since. Although I believe he is recovering ok and may get a game or two in before the end of the season.

It would be much appreciated if we could see the full team, thanks heaps :)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think that SJC 1 will be packed to the rafters tomorrow. Promises to be a fantastic game.
View and New should also be a good fixture, evenly matched sides with more than a couple of schoolboys running around, could easily go down to the wire.

And, of course, Shore knocking over Scots will be a great spectacle.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
A number of people including TAS Old Boys have been trying to find me at matches without success. Last weekend Tim D, a joeys supporter, tried to find me but could not The Head (MG) had seen me watching the TAS seconds but then I vanished. I was actually watching away from the main grandstand because I got a better view.

I am actually a little shy. I wander the grounds often with camera just looking and trying to record. Then when the last game has finished I wander off. I am definitely going to the TAS/Grammar games. How I could I miss them? If you see this older , stooped, shaved head chap on his own studying the game say hi. It will almost certainly be me! This image taken from an Armidale gig gig a few years ago is not a bad one.

Attachments

• The Great debate.jpg
    The Great debate.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 237

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Good morning and welcome from Hunters Hill on a very special day for the Joeys and Kings communities who are raising funds for the drought appeal.

Today at Joeys we have games against Kings, Scots, Cranbrook, Knox, Waverley, Shore, Riverview and Grammar. Joeys have 39 games at home and 3 teams are playing away. Today as well all yr 12 teams have been given priority to play at "The Park' as this will be their final home games on hallowed soil. The Joeys 7ths kicked off today on Number 1 at 8am and squeaked home 87-0 against Kings. A good way to start the day.

Another brilliant winter's day in Sydney with a temperature of 21 degrees expected later in the day. Good luck to the boys in all games across Sydney today. We hope the games are played in good spirit and everyone stays safe.