• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joker - what do you think would be better for the long term future of the game.

It all has to come from the clubs. When you have strong grass root rugby you win. If the smaller clubs can attract and keep players the the game will thrive. AFL has made major inroads into schools and this only weakens our codes as "helicopter" mums want little Johnny and Hanna playing AFL because it is "safe". Strong local clubs with a pathway to the senior grades. Drummoyne are doing this well I am told

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
It all has to come from the clubs. When you have strong grass root rugby you win. If the smaller clubs can attract and keep players the the game will thrive. AFL has made major inroads into schools and this only weakens our codes as "helicopter" mums want little Johnny and Hanna playing AFL because it is "safe". Strong local clubs with a pathway to the senior grades. Drummoyne are doing this well I am told

I was more referring to the interplay between GPS and CAS. I was seeking views on whether that interplay helped or hindered the game of Rugby long term and the development of its players - of whatever affiliation or genre. I agree with you otherwise on the importance of the club. Have always found the club training stratospheres above school training generally, School training below the 1's and 2's consists of Saturday reluctant teachers on the whole.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
I wish for a change in policy from Grammar the High to allow sport based players to bring the comp back to 8. Now I know this may bring up voice of the thread that must not be mentioned but if we are going to combine CAS and GPS I would rather get GPS back to full strength somehow. Happy to keep 3rds comp how it is.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I wish for a change in policy from Grammar the High to allow sport based players to bring the comp back to 8. Now I know this may bring up voice of the thread that must not be mentioned but if we are going to combine CAS and GPS I would rather get GPS back to full strength somehow. Happy to keep 3rds comp how it is.

HelLo Balmain Suddies

One can hope and dream, but the reality is that the Grammar Community have chosen academic elitism over sport, particularly Rugby. Until Grammar parents decide that their son's HSC score, should be complemented by an extensive sports programme, it is unlikely to change.As for High, government policy has decided that selective testing based heavily, on Maths and Science, shall determine placings at High.

These are attitudes will not disappear overnight, in fact amongst the Australian Chinese community, the spending of small fortunes upon coaching to ensure their son, obtains a place in a selective High School is obsessive. On occasions it reaches a moral form of Child Abuse, as some children are forbidden during the School Holidays to enjoy themselves, by going to the Movies.

However, I suspect this attitude in the coming decades, will be watered down as their children become more culturally Australian. I have already seen" push back" by some first born Australian Chinese Children. So what Grammar, High and other schools are now experiencing, I suspect is a parental push that will continue for the current generation. After, that the second generation will have become what recently arrived Chinese migrants call Aussie Chinese kids, "Bananas". Yellow on the outside, but white and Australian on the inside.( My apologies to anyone offended by these racist taunts, but the phrase is well established within the Australian Chines community.).

Henry Callester

Frank Row (1)
Thank you SBW I’m still recovering from my wounds at HH but you have a few year 12”s in that team here is my guess, please note I’ve named a few players a few times not sure how they will all slot in .... Swan Ricci Adams and Tuck all in year 12 ...

1 - Nick Wigan
2 - Angus Tucker (injured most of 2019)
3- Ed McGowan / 16as Prop
4 - McCathie / Todd
5- 16as ? / Todd / Mundell / Grossamey
6 - Clifton / Mundell
7 - Grossamey / Mundell / Todd
8 - Hansen
9 - Davis
10 - McMullen / Savala
11 - Terrell
12 - Clifton / Grossamey - cracking season at breakaway but option
13 - Josh Wong
14 - Holden / Dunstan
15 - Dunstan / Holden

Very early prediction ...

Hey mate, any 16's players you think will compete for a spot in the 1sts coming next year?

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Just a (pedantic) question - is "premiers" a self-chosen title or is there a formal premiership on offer by the GPS?
The AAGPS awards premierships for 1st, 2nd and 3rd XV competitions with corresponding trophies. There are no formal premierships for other competitions. However where a team is undefeated for the season, they will generally be declared as premiers unofficially.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Yes they did 21-7 in their 3rd trial game. The team that played that day was very different to the one who beat Scots in the final round.

Joker, both sides had a few but not a lot of key players out that day, in fact we thought we had more keys out, but either way both are strong sides, and if recent history repeats both 1st XV teams will face off at HH in 2021.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Did Joeys 16 A's get done by Waverley 16 A's at Death Valley earlier this year?
Correct, and what a good team the Waverley 16As are.

When I say "the season" I am referring to the GPS, CAS or ISA competition. There were lots of cases this year where teams lost trial matches but went on to win their respective competitions undefeated - Joeys 1st XV lost to Knox; Barker 1st XV lost to Joeys; Waverley 2nd XV lost to Joeys; Joeys 16A lost to Waverley.

This is the benefit of the trials where teams are challenged across association boundaries and I think it improves the strength of all competitions.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Correct, and what a good team the Waverley 16As are.

When I say "the season" I am referring to the GPS, CAS or ISA competition. There were lots of cases this year where teams lost trial matches but went on to win their respective competitions undefeated - Joeys 1st XV lost to Knox; Barker 1st XV lost to Joeys; Waverley 2nd XV lost to Joeys; Joeys 16A lost to Waverley.

This is the benefit of the trials where teams are challenged across association boundaries and I think it improves the strength of all competitions.

INP,

Couldn't agree more!

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
U16 Australian Barbarians.

Dylan Hapeta

Kai Wilson

Matthew Butler

Edward Condon

Jock MacPherson

Freeman Kerapa

Darcy Clifton

Jonathan Taufa

Nate McGregor

Emmanuel Di Bartolo

Philp Luke

Joshua Wong

Matthew Levika

Terrell Kalo Kalo

Declan Pickard

Oscar Frean

Natiana Winikerei

Jaden Matthew Legaspi

Jaylan Stewart

Nikolas Mitchell

Kaleb Sturgess

Connor McMullen

Isaiah Tolotu

Kaan Askew

Aaron Dimovitch

Patrick Lavemai

^^^ From 2019 Junior Gold Cup thread. Anyone know what schools they are from? I think 5, possibly more, from Scots - Clifton, Wong, Kalokalo, Winikiri and McMullen.

BAR

Chris McKivat (8)
I think you’re right on the Scots connection; Legaspi is Mt Carmel CC; Butler is St Andrew’s Cathedral School; Stewart is from Lismore (school?); McPherson is from Churchies. Still learning about other players but I know there are players flying in from Brisbane, Melbourne, Moranbah (that’s in Qld apparently) and Newcastle.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
Here's a little doco on the Australian Schools BaaBaas camp from last week. A few AAGPS fellas get a bit of time in the spotlight which is nice

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
This is probably old new but I heard the younger Brial son is at Scots, 14 and already a monster. Also I think no one can doubt the coming season will be a cracker!