• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Three very interesting trials this weekend which will be give us a much better idea on how the teams stand.

My feeling so far is that Joeys and Scots are going well and will prove tough to beat in the competition games. Also that both Newington and Shore will be battling it out at the other end of the table - both had fairly convincing losses last week against Kings and Riverview. The performances of the last two this week will indicate whether or not we have a 2 horse race or a 4 horse race.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Joker, being a cross threader I have been somewhat disappointed with the GPS thread this year. No photos of Scot's Mums, cars in the car park or food that I can see. Are you OK?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joker, being a cross threader I have been somewhat disappointed with the GPS thread this year. No photos of Scot's Mums, cars in the car park or food that I can see. Are you OK?

Hi there Hasa. Nice to see you in here again.

The thread has been a bit quiet BUT last couple of weeks we had to repel an invasion of Riverview lads coming here and causing mischief. Starting to pick up again so I thought after your kind message to get back to what I enjoy doing....taking the piss out schools and having a little fun.

This series called....after rugby game PICK ups at GPS schools (have done something like this in the past, so apologies)

4baezb.jpg

4baf4f.jpg

R

RuggerFan1

Joker, you have not replied to my rebuttal to your false information!

Regardless. Grammar are looking the goods this year, big strong backline 12, 10 and 8 all look strong.

RF.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
About the coaches.

The information I provided pages back came from the former Director of Sport at TSC.
His experience was that due to the Schools policy of the staff taking one semester of sport, many flocked to basketball and hence staff were short on the ground in winter. Hence, the School employed a number of rugby coaches from the ACPE Elite Coach program for BOTH the Junior and senior rugby programs.

As I have said many times in the past I am happy to be proven wrong with facts.

Then when this is all done, can we please get back to the rugby and normal nonsense we enjoy.

4bah7a.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Any news on the Sydney Boys High First XV. Any key players, quality of rugby being played?

Like many here we wish the lads at SBHS all the best with their rugby program. There was a time decades ago Sydney High had a formidable 1st XV and they would push teams like Kings, Joeys and Scots around. Their last best years were 1993 (should have won it) and 1994 (the mighty midgets of Joeys some how won the title thanks to the sprinkler). In the years since they have produced some good junior teams but as soon as study become serious, the boots are packed away and to the study hall they fly.

Here is that 1993 team. Some names would be familiar (one is a current coach)

main.php

Back row: B McKay, L Mann, C Allardice, J Jones-Hughes, S Makhoul, L Mussett, B Tyrrell
Second row: E Jones, M McKay, G Cummins, B Smailes, R Sheriff, G de Merindol
Front row: C Murray, M Stcherbina (Vice Captain), A M Hannon Esq (Coach), S Taumoepeau (Captain), R J Stratford Esq (Principal), D Shaw, B Smith

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joker, love it ...the newington team bus...and the joeys dads

Love a good stereotype... altgh the PC nazis might not agree

How is 3rds comp looking? Are grammar a chance?

Strange how scots seem to only have a strong 1sts?!

Anyway hopefully streaming available again this weekend

What is match of round? Altgh I guess it’s still trials

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Re sbhs... remember that year that had that nugget centre ... hodgo... or something?

Think he became a cop ... and pretty sure they beat joeys at HH? Joker?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Re sbhs. remember that year that had that nugget centre . hodgo. or something?

Think he became a cop . and pretty sure they beat joeys at HH? Joker?

No Sonny, it was at Mackay. I was at this game.
Last time High beat Joeys

SJC 15 v Sydney High School 22 at Mackay.
W.Smirl, K.Shepherd tries, J.Hannon goal, penalty goal

An estimated crowd of 4000 turned up at Mackay for the start of the GPS Rugby season. High kicked off, and the pattern of play for the game was set with both teams battling for ball and territory. The high ball was exploited by both sides in an effort to seek out any early weaknesses. Very soon a high ball from Hannon saw High's fullback falter under pressure. Our forwards secured possession. A long pass from Bellantonio to left winger Smirl gave him enough space to score out wide.

Hannon's conversion attempt failed. 5-0. A penalty kick by High was unsuccessful. For the next ten minutes both teams battled for territory with solid mid-field defence by Taggart and Shepherd keeping the High attack in check. A penalty goal by Hannon brought the score to 8-0. Fierce rocking saw Garth Brennan leave the field for attention to a cut on his head; he was replaced by Mathew Derrig for a few minutes. Sustained pressure saw the forwards awarded a lineout outside High's 22. Good lineout possession won by Walker at the front saw the ball quickly spread out to the backs with Shepherd hitting the ball at pace and cutting through the High defence with a superb side-stepping run to score near the post, Hannon converted. 15-0. To High's credit they struck back ten minutes later. Failure by St Joseph's to find touch saw High spread the ball wide to exploit a numbers advantage from which the High centre scored in the corner. 15-5.

The second half saw a more enthusiastic High. St Joseph's were dealt a blow when injury forced fullback Rogan from the field. He was replaced by Julian Morton. From a penalty outside our 22, a quick tap and numbers out wide gave High their second try. 15-10. From a scrum inside their own half, and good phase ball, High were able to make a break up the right wing. Good support play saw them score out wide. The try was converted, putting High in front. 15-17. St Joseph's attacked with the little ball they had, but were not helped by High's domination of the second half lineouts.

However an intercept by Shepherd saw him make a break, well supported by Taggart. Quick phase ball allowed the ball to go quickly to Marc Wheeldon on the right wing. With sheer pace he was able to get around his opposition winger to go very close in the corner.

With time running out a fine short side play allowed High to set up good phase ball right on our line. Their half back picked up the ball and dived over in the corner in the last few minutes of the game. 15-22.

High were deserved winners and didn't the students celebrate!

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Posted today on the AAGPS website

The AAGPS Chairman, Mr Mark Ticehurst, in consultation with the GPS Headmasters’ standing Committee, wishes to provide the following update regarding GPS sporting programmes in 2020:

The winter sport program continues this Saturday 15 August 2020, with fixtures now published on the AAGPS website. There will be no spectators permitted at these fixtures. In the best interest of the health and wellbeing of students, staff and our communities, the Cross Country Carnival to have been held at The King’s School has been cancelled.

1st, 2nd and 3rd XV Rugby, and 1st and 2nd XI Football fixtures will be streamed and available via www.cluch.tv, www.bit.ly/cluch-ios and www.bit.ly/cluch-android. The final timings of broadcasts will be available on the platforms; please follow relevant login instructions to register. The streaming of 1st and 2nd Volleyball fixtures is yet to be confirmed.

The AAGPS acknowledges that advice and the current situation has, and will continue to change rapidly. As the situation evolves, the AAGPS will continue to monitor, and act accordingly throughout the remainder of 2020.

For further information or clarification, please contact Mr Mark Ticehurst, AAGPS Chairman on 0427 990 761, or Mr Nigel Price, Executive Officer on 0497 012 143.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
How is 3rds comp looking? Are Grammar a chance?

SDW,

I did a comprehensive coverage of the 3rd XV comp last year, but will cut it back this year so you can all stay awake :)

Firstly there are only 7 teams in the official comp - Grammar 1sts, High 1sts, Riverview 3rds, Shore 3rds, Scots 3rds, Kings 3rds and Joeys 3rds.

I understand that TAS 1sts are out of the official comp due to COVID, but will play three away non-competition away games in Sydney against Scots, High & Joeys. This means that I, G, E and K will get a bye on the week that they were originally scheduled to play TAS in Armidale. (But someone please correct me if this is not the case.)

Last week the results were:
Joeys 45 Riverview 7
Kings 17 High 8
Grammar 34 Scots 5
Shore had a bye but played a trial.

Joeys looked very strong in their win at Riverview. Kings were solid in defeating High at Parramatta and Grammar very impressive in their defeat of Scots.

This week is Round 2:

Shore v Grammar @ Northbridge
Joeys v Kings @ Hunters Hill
High v Scots @ Centennial Park
Riverview have the bye but they are playing Joeys 4ths in a trial at Hunter Hill. That will be interesting.

It would appear that Grammar, Kings and Joeys are the teams to beat but it it still early days and the Joeys v Kings game this week will be particularly interesting.

INP