• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thanks Number 7, and here is the statement from AAGPS on 6 May:

"The AAGPS Chairman, Mr Mark Ticehurst, in consultation with the GPS Headmasters’ Standing, wishes to advise the following update regarding the return to GPS sporting programmes in 2020:
As boys return to Schools, the AAGPS continues to monitor Government guidelines regarding a possible return to School Sports. It appears that the approach of a systematic phased return could be adopted with details and timing to follow. However, for the AAGPS, the decision has been made to concentrate on Athletics in Term 2 with the possibility of the AAGPS Championships scheduled for Term 3.
It is proposed that decisions about the full Winter Sports season be deferred until the status of the COVID-19 environment in New South Wales is more fully understood and guidelines are released by Government sources. A modified or full Winter Sports season may be possible in Term 3 but it is premature to commit to that at the present time."
Thanks. Good to kept in the picture, even if the picture is fuzzy.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
A sad day for St Joseph's rugby with the passing of John Healy.
The College strength and conditioning centre is named after him.

Here are some words penned by Mark Malloy (SJC 1st XV 1984?). Thank you PK for passing these on.

John Healy what do you say ? His impact was immeasurable on so many , Sport and the training that went with it was an education in itself for all the senior sporting squads - Mr Healy had tremendous impact on so many of us / he taught us process equals result , humility in victory and defeat and that victory was in the effort before and at the time of competition and that there was no shame in defeat as long as you knew you left 110 % on the field on game day and complete deposit into your preparation to make the withdrawal when required .

His quiet succinct reassurance as you warmed up , his quiet respectful manner during early morning run sessions which left you in a position of only being able to do your best made him the kind of example and teacher you can never forget .

His methodical preparation of us physically and mentally made any defeat of the teams he had input into hard fought and well won , he turned many average rugby teams at St Joseph’s into championship winners - testimony to that fact is how many teams won not only in the second half but the last quarter when fatigue physical or mental allowed Joeys teams to score or defend against very strong opposition to seal a result .

More importantly he set standards for hundreds of young men at “ Joeys “ for them to excel and exceed beyond theirs and others expectations , his impact is immeasurable and his respect , and dignity as a person a complete example .

Vale John Healy .

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
just to add...

In the time that John was directly associated with the College’s 1st and 2nd Rugby XVs, the 1st XV were GPS Premiers 19 times (12 of these as Champions, that is, they won all of their games), and the 2nd XV were Premiers 20 times. These statistics alone indicate the great value that John brought to the College’s training in terms of strength and fitness, courage and commitment.

7zWUNWyMdNTqMlUttvT3KkYnpj972zEgB5jUdtHRfvygzvwX0gqnz3JG7GBiEgryBFyRM5oAnEkIn1oPXoihF9xDfCl7F1ep4nwfOABHjfQwd6TERX93pOvA9S5tkXEBYV-9Fie8L1wp415l_rFZblyb5XQ7C-i_Dv0HQlic1FSG6NAPtXl0NiiGkjU=s0-d-e1-ft

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My understanding is that the GPS athletics season has been brought forward to the start of Term 3. After the 4 weeks of athletics there will be a one round GPS competition for the remainder of Term 3.

Or that's the current plan at least.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
My understanding is that the GPS athletics season has been brought forward to the start of Term 3. After the 4 weeks of athletics there will be a one round GPS competition for the remainder of Term 3.

FWIW the Joeys website shows it the other way around - Rugby at the start of Term3 (25th July) and the GPS Athletics on 19th September. Not sure I believe this as I think the calendar has not been updated or corrected for the current thinking?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
FWIW the Joeys website shows it the other way around - Rugby at the start of Term3 (25th July) and the GPS Athletics on 19th September. Not sure I believe this as I think the calendar has not been updated or corrected for the current thinking?
My mail has it going the Quick Hands way - Aths then rugby/winter sport.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)

There has been an interschool carnival scheduled for Saturday 25th of July followed by GPS championships Saturday 1 August. There have been some interschool carnivals proposed for late term 2 however they are still subject to the lifting of COVID related restrictions.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Just watching NRL Sunday Night and they are creaming themselves over Joseph Sua'ali'i. Well done Kings (et al) in promoting the NRL code while ringing the death knell for union. Hope you are proud of your premierships. (Hmmm riddle me this, where did Luke Keary and Bayley Simonson go to school - spoiler that great “rugby” academy in the inner west).

But hey all these professionals are good for the game at the schoolboy level. You may as well go full nuclear like Queensland schools and not lose good talent to the north. Then we could win SOO on a regular basis.

And btw, Black&White et al that love their scholarship premierships, piss off to an NRL forum because you have no care for the beautiful game of rugby.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
....riddle me this, where did Luke Keary and Bayley Simonson go to school - spoiler that great “rugby” academy in the inner west....

Keary went to Oakhill College in Castle Hill ("inner west", mmm?) although Simonson (perhaps Simonsson) did attend Newington. Bit rich to cast aspersions on parents' decisions where to send a young 'un to school.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Keary went to Oakhill College in Castle Hill ("inner west", mmm?) although Simonson (perhaps Simonsson) did attend Newington. Bit rich to cast aspersions on parents' decisions where to send a young 'un to school.

Speiber has a pathological hatred of Newington, so he won't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I remember Keary as a skinny fullback playing for ISA.
simonsson did his early years at Newingtons Northern beaches campus from memory.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Ok, there was a stint in Canberra between Brookvale & Canberra.

i recall a mate at our surf club bragging that his kids team was being coached by a wallaby (Scott Gourlay) and an AB (Simonsson)

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Just watching NRL Sunday Night and they are creaming themselves over Joseph Sua'ali'i. Well done Kings (et al) in promoting the NRL code while ringing the death knell for union. Hope you are proud of your premierships. (Hmmm riddle me this, where did Luke Keary and Bayley Simonson go to school - spoiler that great “rugby” academy in the inner west).

But hey all these professionals are good for the game at the schoolboy level. You may as well go full nuclear like Queensland schools and not lose good talent to the north. Then we could win SOO on a regular basis.

And btw, Black&White et al that love their scholarship premierships, piss off to an NRL forum because you have no care for the beautiful game of rugby.

Hello Spieber

If boys choose Rugby League ahead of Union as a career, it is not the concern of Newington or Kings. That is an Rugby Australia matter and their inability to recruit talented youngsters. Sadly, Australian Rugby at the top level, has not been well served by the last two CEO regarding, the support of grassroots Rugby. .

On the inner West Rugby Academy, Newington and Kings (as both schools can now be regarded as Inner West Schools these Days) , pale into insignificance compared to Joeys and Scots as a Rugby Academies. Nor do they come anywhere near the professionalism of Nudgee, Southport or Brisbane Boys College. In fact the Brisbane GPS concerning most of their schools are professional,to greater or lesser degree, when compared with their Sydney counterparts. Their connection to Rugby League is far greater than Newington or Kings. Just view some of the DVDs on BBC and Nudgee. But don't let me stand in the way of the truth.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
My mole tells me the Headmasters meeting to be held shortly will address if a comp should go ahead with the Amazing Dr Lambert pushing for it and other headmasters more hesitatant to proceed. Again this is what my source tells me.