• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Looking forward to your predictions Joker.
Let me give you mine (no promises that they’ll come anywhere close to Joker’s!)

Shore v Joeys:
I can’t help but think it will be a tough weekend for the Shore boys. Despite lapses towards the back end of their match, Joeys were their usual clinical selves. It will be hard to stop their big forward pack and speedy outside backs. On the other hand, Shore are coming off a tough loss to a young Newington outfit... I can’t see this going any other way than: JOEYS by 28.

Newington v Riverview:
This will be a great match, with Newington coming off a solid win and View having received a bollocking at the hands of the Kingsmen, there will be very different attitudes in each respective camp coming up to this match. I think, however, it will be hard for the Newington boys to hold out the wolves from lane cove who are seeking retribution. VIEW by 14

Kings v Scots:
This will most likely be the match of the round. Again, two teams coming off very different matches from the weekend before - Kings offered a comprehensive defeat of view, while Scots were defeated by the Marist... despite Scots showing some signs of individual brilliance, I think it will be hard for them to grab a victory over the kingsmen, who will be confident following their victory last week, and will undoubtedly be bolstered by their home crowd cheering them on (illegally). KINGS by 10

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
There has been a bit of talk that Okane has signed a large contract (6 figures) with the Brisbane broncos top 30 squad to replace a second rower who has been on the outer with the club in recent weeks. Unconfirmed but I have heard this from multiple sources. Would be a massive loss for both the west’s tigers and rugby union if true.
BP.
One of my sources has confirmed that the contract hasn’t been signed, but it is more than likely.
BP.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Joseph Sua'ali'i has made the decision to sit out the entire AAGPS rugby season at The King's School as Souths continue to firm as his likely long-term destination.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...rm-as-likely-destination-20200901-p55rd0.html

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Joseph Sua'ali'i has made the decision to sit out the entire AAGPS rugby season at The King's School as Souths continue to firm as his likely long-term destination.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...rm-as-likely-destination-20200901-p55rd0.html

This won't end well.....

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Rd 3 GPS Predictions

Joeys, comfortably, over Shore. Too big, too fast.

Newington, just over Iggies. Thought View competed strongly for first 30 mins last weekend but then went off the boil. I'd fancy New's forwards up front over Views but if View get enough pill that could definitely turn the tables.

Kings V Scots - if Scots have their missing players back, anything is possible here. Given the game is at Parramatta I'm picking Kings by a whisker but would not be surprised in the slightest if Scots were to topple them, particularly if its the 2nd half team from the game against Joeys that turns up and not the H1 side.

FootyGuy

Bob McCowan (2)
There has been a bit of talk that Okane has signed a large contract (6 figures) with the Brisbane broncos top 30 squad to replace a second rower who has been on the outer with the club in recent weeks. Unconfirmed but I have heard this from multiple sources. Would be a massive loss for both the west’s tigers and rugby union if true.
BP.
This is complete nonsense. Social media at its best. Rumours being put out there which are completely baseless putting undue pressure on kids. I know for a fact it’s baseless.

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
This is complete nonsense. Social media at its best. Rumours being put out there which are completely baseless putting undue pressure on kids. I know for a fact it’s baseless.
FG, I have multiple sources from the depths of the Broncos. Sorry if I have struck a nerve but my sources have told me that pen has pretty much hit paper.

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
Greetings, Gentlemen.

Article says Sua'ali'i is still on scholarship even though he’s not playing footy anymore.

Wonder what the AAGPS board thinks about this..

TDO.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Getting into some grey area here TDO.
But since the scholarship wouldn't have been a sporting scholarship in the first place, I see no issue.
Tread lightly on this topic.

spin doctors and social media can dress this up however they like, the simple matter is that Sua'ali'i is barred from GPS rugby because he's a professional rugby league player.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
spin doctors and social media can dress this up however they like, the simple matter is that Sua'ali'i is barred from GPS rugby because he's a professional rugby league player.

Doesn’t that raise questions about Penisini, who played on the weekend? If I’m not mistaken, isn’t he also on an NRL contract?

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)

I don’t think that is correct, he has been paid by Souths for years and there would not have been allowed to play GPS in the past if there was such a rule.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
I don’t think that is correct, he has been paid by Souths for years and there would not have been allowed to play GPS in the past if there was such a rule.

there are lots of kids who have their fees and allowances paid by NRL clubs at GPS schools. The crucial difference with Sua'ali'i is that he has also been directly paid for playing league games this season (early), in addition to the background contract payments which he receives, and will continue to receive until the end of 2021, from the Rabbitohs. This did not apply last year and so he played for Kings and higher rep rugby teams in 2019.

Penisini has not been paid to play rugby league.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
there are lots of kids who have their fees and allowances paid by NRL clubs at GPS schools. The crucial difference with Sua'ali'i is that he has also been directly paid for playing league games this season (early), in addition to the background contract payments which he receives, and will continue to receive until the end of 2021, from the Rabbitohs. This did not apply last year and so he played for Kings and higher rep rugby teams in 2019.

Penisini has not been paid to play rugby league.

at the risk of labouring the point, Sua'ali'i was signed by the Rabbitohs in Feb 2019 after having played in their U16 Harold Matthews league since 2018. The crucial difference is that he played in their SG Ball team this season and was paid for doing so. This makes him, by definition, a professional rugby league player, and ineligible to play GPS rugby.

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
Ace, with rumours of Okane signing with Brisbane in the very near future, how will this affect his ability to play for joeys.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)

As do I. Know the family well. Back to the rugby and not the "thugby"

img