• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic

Frank Row (1)
Not even thinking about this weekend as Joeys travel to Kings to be slaughtered.
Looking ahead to next week's schedule...with Joeys on a bye, what are the other scheduled matches as I have to see some schoolboy rugby?

W

Wrinkled Rat

Wylie is easily the top #10 in Australia and highly deserves the spot.

Good player, deserving of his spot. Had the fortune of being picked in the NSW II's (not the I's) alongside Donlan where the pairing and combination goes back years. Add to that, the King's forward connection protecting and facilitating time and space to attack and it was a dream process. No question better than Brisby and from reports coming from the Oz champs better than the Qld fly halves. As a good measure, it would be interestng to hear from Donlan who, from his playing experience, he rates as the best 10 he has played alongside.

U

Upright

Good player, deserving of his spot. Had the fortune of being picked in the NSW II's (not the I's) alongside Donlan where the pairing and combination goes back years. Add to that, the King's forward connection protecting and facilitating time and space to attack and it was a dream process. No question better than Brisby and from reports coming from the Oz champs better than the Qld fly halves. As a good measure, it would be interestng to hear from Donlan who, from his playing experience, he rates as the best 10 he has played alongside.

Rat,
Fair observation and from what I saw at the champs the one thing Wylie did well was not overplay his hand. Good link man, will be protected defensively by his flankers so deserves his spot. As for the view of Donlan regarding the respective 10s, you may be surprised if you ask him.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Not sure about there being no question he is better than Brisby, he does has a much better kicking game.But does not threaten the line like brisby, and does not make any more space or options for those outside.Defence is no better.
Having said that, the 12 & the 15 selected,have not demonstrated any special kicking gifts.So that requires a 10 with a good kicking game.
Would have been interesting to see the Qld 2's & ACT 10's playing outside donlan all week.
Having said all this, my pick was Dunbar, who got called up from the shadows I believe.

W

Wrinkled Rat

Rat,
As for the view of Donlan regarding the respective 10s, you may be surprised if you ask him.

Spotted him at Rat Park last week against the Marlins but don't know him at all, personally

T

Thismybrotha

My source from Kings tells me Wylie is still injured from the Oz school champs, so Mccormack has been moved to 10 from 12, Freeman has been moved to 12 from 14 and John Behn Smith has moved up from the 2nds to fill 14.

I will try to attend the Kings vs Joeys match.

EDIT: Also keen to see this Dillon Walford boy in action, as everyone seems to talk him up. Anyone know which position he will be playing in?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Mate you have to be blind if you think connor and wylie and questionable. Wylie is easily the top #10 in Australia and highly deserves the spot. Connor is the best 7 running on the paddock in Australia at this time and if you think that these boys spots are questionionable you must not be watching the right players

Wylie is just too small too play on such a level, to be honest i feel he's making teams of the back of reputation. He throws loose passes and always seems to go off the field injured. However he does have an extremely good kicking game.

Not sure about there being no question he is better than Brisby, he does has a much better kicking game.But does not threaten the line. does not make any more space or options for those outside.Defence is no better.

You three are all on a warning - read the rules of schoolboy rugby discussion.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Come on. There is nothing wrong with these observations. We live in a democracy where people are entitled to express an opinion. Don't become another sportal and close down informed debate, no one is offended by these comments.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I will try to attend the Kings vs Joeys match.

EDIT: Also keen to see this Dillon Walford boy in action, as everyone seems to talk him up. Anyone know which position he will be playing in?

I've known Dill since he started Joeys since he is a friend of my nephew. League Dragon legend Ricky Walford is his uncle but his footie genes are quite different.

He plays a bit like Quade Cooper but not as good as Quade was at school. He can do some outrageous things and combines well with friend Corey Ashby, who is also from Walgett.

He can be guilty of the odd non-percentage play then put on a game breaker move a minute later. I'm disappointed that he didn't have a path to the Lloyd McDermott Indigenous team. He and Corey would have walked into it.

The biggest trouble he has had this year is that his forwards are not going forward much.

Kings thrashed Joeys in the trials. I will be going out to watch the game but I have no high hopes.

PS He is a flyhalf and Ashby is the inside centre, though he has played fullback in trials.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Come on. There is nothing wrong with these observations. We live in a democracy where people are entitled to express an opinion. Don't become another sportal and close down informed debate, no one is offended by these comments.

The rule for criticism of schoolboy players is to deliver it like a coach would to the boy himself.

Not: lazy bugger, but: need to get more involved.

Learn it or leave.

P

PhD96

No, full marks to Scarfman, not wanting this forum to plunge to those murky depths of Sportal is precisely why he's initiated warnings. There's nothing 'informed' about ftb's post, it's just an emotional statement, jk's is just fanciful, unnecessary criticism and 'I like to watch' is another who falls into that category. Those boys at ages 16, 17 or whatever, don't need and don't deserve anonymous criticism in a public forum.....10/10 scarfman

N

Nanai

Will be a big day of rugby today - was planning to attend the New v Scots game at Bellevue Hill, but I won't be attending anymore. I'll check this forum later this evening in hopes of a report. It will be an absolute cracker, the teams are evenly matched and similar in style. To the bloke who asked which players to watch: Watch the battle of the 8s (the Newington 8, Luani, is Australian Schoolboys, the Scots 8, Miller, is in year 11 and is a very promising, but smaller, player), the 9s (Two terrific players who are full of running), the 10s (Dunbar from Scots after from all reports a great competition at the National Champs, and Finlay MacDonald from Newington, who's another one who'll have a big year next year.) and the 2s, (Moore from Scots is very unlucky he was injured in the CGPS games. This kid is Aus Schoolboys material - and his opposite, Roach, is in his second year in a row as the Australian Schoolboys hooker)
EDIT: I forgot to mention the centres... Latunipulu/Roods from Newington against Atkinson/Stewart from Scots, in my opinion the two best centre pairings going around.

The other one I'm very keen to hear about is the Kings v Joeys game. I think Joeys will have plenty of fight - and it'd be good to see a Kings team stacked with a ridiculous number of Aus and Aus A Schoolboys get beaten this year - as unlikely as it is! McCormack at 10 will be very interesting - I really rate him in that position.

Williams from Joeys at 6 will stand up to Killingworth.

P

PhD96

I've seen them twice this year and what outstanding raw talent they possess. Hoping that Walford is receiving the specific coaching his skills deserve. Once he has the full compliment of tricks that a good 10 must have, watch out.

P

PhD96

I always find it perplexing that McDonald is never mentioned when the quality 10's are being discussed. Here's a kid that's been a model of consistency for years.

R

rugby_man

I always find it perplexing that McDonald is never mentioned when the quality 10's are being discussed. Here's a kid that's been a model of consistency for years.

In the games I've seen him play, he is very consistent and very safe, but IMO he lacks that X-factor if the game is on the line. I watched the Joeys v Newington trial at Hunters Hill, option a,b and c were to pass the ball to Latunipulu. He is a good player and a very good link man, but he isn't a gamebreaker but depending on the circumstances, that can either be a bad or a good thing. Good player though.

T

Thismybrotha

wasn't able to make the Kings vs Joeys game. Anyone care to give a report? I particularly want to know how Mccormack performed at number 10, how Dillon Walford performed and the new winger for Kings.

EDIT: Just received confirmation, Joeys beat Kings in an upset 20-21. Probably the biggest upset this season, and will remain the biggest.

Seems to be a continuing trend. Kings going along fine, then losing in the 3rd or 4th round by a very narrow margin, then to go on to win the joint premiership. It will be interesting to hear how the other games went today.

P

pitbull

Newington beat Scots 31 - 17
Scots hit the game much harder off the kick off and scored too very soft tries, due to uncoordinated newington defence.
14 - 14 at half time
Newington resurrected and dominated the second half with outstanding performances from the front row and back rowers luani, pepper and baldwin.
Scots best players easily moore until he was subbed off, and number 10 dunbar played admirably despite receiving one of the biggest hits ive seen in a while late in the second half. Not sure if the halfback was substituted, but 2nd half play was good from either dowsett or stenberg.

J

jkjkjkjkjk

I was merely stating an opinion
If I have broken the rules, I will reform my comments, in order to subsist within this forum
So
Joeys beat Kings- interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.