• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yes - as I wrote earlier, I can vouch for all 3 of them.

One Joeys lad said that they lost only 5 games all day and there must have been about 45 of them. I can't warrant that that is true but maybe Sarge would have a better idea.

No Joeys can't compete in that other area. Spoke to a mother of a lad in the Kings Twos on Saturday. The lad was playing league in the country and was recruited by scouts who went to see him play. She said the family had to pay 25% of the fees. A great opportunity for the lad; it's a top school.

Oops Sarge has confirmed a big day for Joeys.

U

Upright

Yes - as I wrote earlier, I can vouch for all 3 of them.

One Joeys lad said that they lost only 5 games all day and there must have been about 45 of them. I can't warrant that that is true but maybe Sarge would have a better idea.

No Joeys can't compete in that other area. Spoke to a mother of a lad in the Kings Twos on Saturday. The lad was playing league in the country and was recruited by scouts who went to see him play. She said the family had to pay 25% of the fees. A great opportunity for the lad; it's a top school.

Oops Sarge has confirmed a big day for Joeys.
Lee,
Do you mean 'Kings scouts' went to see him play or Rugby League scouts?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Is it correct that Joeys beat Kings in 1sts 2nds and 3rds on the weekend? If that is the case what does that say about the overall rugby program at Kings who I understand have been quite aggressive in recent years in inviting boys who show some rugby abilty into their school? Well done Joeys.

Interesting point but I think you might find that it was pretty much exactly the same the last few seasons except the other way around. It was pretty much the same earlier this season as well with Kings the victors.

So no need to be critical because no one was critical of Joeys when they had that lapse.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Kings. She didn't say scouts - she said "they" went to look at him after we discussed the fees; so they had some connection with the school obviously.

J

joeys rugby head

Interesting point but I think you might find that it was pretty much exactly the same the last few seasons except the other way around. It was pretty much the same earlier this season as well with Kings the victors.

So no need to be critical because no one was critical of Joeys when they had that lapse.

not so sure about what you said in the last few years. 5ths and 7ths were the only opens teams to lose for joeys, and from what i have head there were only 4-5 losses over the whole school fielding around 50+ teams.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
not so sure about what you said in the last few years. 5ths and 7ths were the only opens teams to lose for joeys, and from what i have head there were only 4-5 losses over the whole school fielding around 50+ teams.

I would have thought `joeys rugby head' would have had correct figures.
According to their fixtures list Jpeys fielded 43 teams last Saturday - 36 against Kings and the others against either other Schools or against each other.
This is an astounding number of teams and illustrates the tradition that exists there!. It certainly helps other Schools who are drawn to play Schools with lesser numbers, plugging the gaps.

O

oldboy

to be fair, i think everyone expected that after the 40 point flogging in the preseason
congrats to Joeys though, stepped up when it counted

O

oldboy

sorry to disapoint mate, didnt turn out that way. just shows that representative rugby is political and means nothing.

to be fair, i think everyone expected that after the 40 point flogging in the preseason
congrats to Joeys though, stepped up when it counted

O

oldboy

this weekend

Kings vs View
Kings will be too good again. I don't want to speak to soon, because I thought Joeys were going to be crushed by Kings but they weren't. However Kings will be hurting. They have been extremely consistent and have lost only one game to a GPS team so far, including a number of trials. I would take a stab at a 14 point margin

Newington vs Grammar
Not much of a competition. Newington by 25+

Shore vs Scots
Could be a close one. I am going to back Scots but it could go either way. Scots by 7 or less

Joeys bye

on an aside, i honestly think at round 4, there are still 4 definite contenders for this premiership, joint or otherwise.
King's the favourites at round 1 are still in the mix for sure. Newington and View look formidable and Joey's just managed to clip the favourites.
I see a joint premiership, a combination of any of those four?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Newington vs Grammar
Not much of a competition. Newington by 25+

I have been reading the posts on GPS and I cannot believe how week in week out the analysis of the Grammar match invaribaly rises no higher than this sort of dismissive comment - ie Grammar will be thrashed; there will be a blow out; no competition.

There is no dispute Grammar is not as strong as the other teams for a variety of reasons, but principally because it does not have the numbers playing rugby, no boarding house and decades of headmasters thinking it is great to churn out high UAI scores to create an epidemic of SGS old boy doctors and lawyers. In any event, the school fields a team that is still part of the GPS. It may not be for long. But they are still in it. The repeatedly dismissive, arrogant comments are frankly insulting to the many boys at that school who love rugby and play as hard as they can each week. To those who say they should be booted out of the competition, then that proves my point about the arrogance of those talking about other schools. It is absolutely in the interests of GPS rugby for Grammar to be encouraged. We do not want another school falling away like High. Soon the GPS competition will be only a few teams. It is only through scholarships and recruiting that some of the smaller schools still compete.

I have read reams and reams of stuff about Joeys and Kings and View and who sings what song after a game, but all you posters can muster is a few derogatory comments about Grammar. It is pathetic. The comments are about boys playing rugby and that same attitude permeates through the parents on the sideline, the attitude of some opposition and perhaps the attitude of GPS selectors. Just because Grammar is a weaker team, it doesn't mean everyone of the boys are weak. But that appears to be the attiutde of most.

I have watched two Grammar matches this year - Kings and Joeys. For a team that trains twice weekly I understand, they didn't do too badly. There is no doubt that Kings was a vastly superior team. Their backs created untold havoc out wide. I think all tries were by backs. The Grammar outside backs have little idea how to match up in defence. McCormack and Ingate were largely unstoppable. But in the forwards, they held their own. They were much smaller, but did not give an inch. Too easy to say the bigger Kings pack outmuscled teh smaller Grammar pack - that hjust did not happen. Dare I commit the sacrilege of suggesting Graham, the Grammar number 7 outplayed Connor. The other members of the Grammar backrow, Robinson and Hay were also good and held their own. I was, however, most impressed with Killingworth, Kent and Melrose. The Kings boys thought the Grammar forwards played well and suggested Grammar may beat a couple of other teams. At Joeys, Grammar were behind 16-19 well into the second half. The Grammar forwards were outplaying the Joeys forwards (scoff if you like, but that is what was happening). Williams for Joeys was tirelesss in his efforts. Again, the Grammar backs had little ability to deal with the elusive Joeys backs. Hulme scored 4 tries running around his slower, bigger opponent. Four soft tries. Walford's light feet was something special. The point is that Grammar was well in that match. If it were not for poor decision-making (keeping the ball tighter), the result could have been different from the 12 points victory to Joeys.

There was enough of this dismissive rubbish on that other forum. How about a bit of positive commentary. Or is the competition only about th usual suspects.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Think that's a bit much Spewn. There is no interest in Grammar because they are soundly beaten every week- that's life in the big city. I haven't seen one comment that was arrogant or insulting to Grammar or any of the boys, but that is just the way it is. How much discussion did you see of the Lions or Cheetahs here during the S14?

I love it when Grammar occasionally get up and beat Shore or Scots. And I think they are often underestimated by posters here. However I don't remember seeing anyone say they should be thrown out of the comp, that's nonsense. In reality they are the minnow of the comp for the reasons you stated, and because of that they just aren't going to get the coverage or discussion of the stronger teams.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Nice spray Spewn - and good choice of username.

I've seen Grammar this year and the lads have a go but if the school doesn't win games folks are going to be dismissive.

They won't be if Grammar starts winning or if more of their fans join the forum. Both will give posts about them more weight.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
True, Lee, I am spew'n'. Barbarian, yes, they are the minnows, and will never get the same coverage. But really, the dismissive commentary is tiresome.

sonic

Frank Row (1)
Sarge,

Talk about inspiring......
Apparently the boys at school are still talking about the game and to top it off, all the Under 13s got to train with the Firsts and Seconds squads on Tue pm.

What is that Latin song?

T

Thismybrotha

On Grammar, if they are to beat anyone it will be Shore. I've got a feeling.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Grammar might beat Shore. Thats what someone told me. As I haven't seen Shore, I can't comment. From the two grammar games I've seen, they may be able to if they match it in the forwards and the Shore backs are nowhere near the elusiveness of Joeys or the slickness of Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom