• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
New play Joeys this week. If Joeys win, New play Riverview to try and secure a joint premiership with Joeys by winning. If New can best Joeys, then they are premiers alone.

Sorry, misread the draw again. Will be a cracker this week, both sides with everything to play for.

And any more posts about scholarships will be deleted. I think we have all had enough.

O

oldboy

ok good idea

next weekend
Newington over joeys by <10
Kings over Shore by 15-20
Scots over Grammar by <10 in a close one

Cyril Towers (30)
ok good idea

next weekend
Newington over joeys by <10
Kings over Shore by 15-20
Scots over Grammar by <10 in a close one

It's a brave person to tip against Joeys at the moment. They weren't fancied in either of their last 2 games but still managed to sneak in. They probably don't have the cattle this year, but they seem to have something. And being Joeys they will always believe they can win, and other teams will believe it too.
Joeys by 2.

19golf91

newington is in red hot form. THey havent won it in 30 odd years so i dont expect them to slip up this weekend. The johnson will be packed and the boys will be ready to go to war. Interesting match ups this weekend, the hugelly powerfull newington side against the quick versitile joeys team. Expect a close game, but newingtons centres to be too much for the small joes outside backs. Apo dominated the midfield against a big kings team so i expect nothing different. Expect a bigger crowd than the average NRL match at stanmore on saturday. Should be a crack with Newington by 6.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
good to see that there were some great games of rugby this weekend. but i really do hope that newington do not win the premiership. undeserved. how many of these boys have been there since year 7? i can bet you that there will be very few 13As from 2005 in that team. yes i do know that they have natural talented players such as hugh roach. but the other tongan players on scholarships make it such an unfair playing field.

There's been a long tradition of Tongan families sending their sons to Newington. It goes back to the days when Newington was a Methodist school as that faith was/is the predominant one in Tonga, and also in Fiji and Samoa. Recently there was an appeal for Steve Finau who's fallen on hard times; Steve (from Tonga) went to Newington in the early 60s. A list of Old Newingtonians shows their connection with the school to be long and illustrious. Check at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Old_Newingtonians

This remark about Islanders at Newington on scholarships is a cheap shot.

P

PhD96

newington is in red hot form. THey havent won it in 30 odd years so i dont expect them to slip up this weekend. The johnson will be packed and the boys will be ready to go to war. Interesting match ups this weekend, the hugelly powerfull newington side against the quick versitile joeys team. Expect a close game, but newingtons centres to be too much for the small joes outside backs. Apo dominated the midfield against a big kings team so i expect nothing different. Expect a bigger crowd than the average NRL match at stanmore on saturday. Should be a crack with Newington by 6.

Massive weekend, Newington favourites and I'm hoping for a solid win, with Baldwin MOM. They'll need to be at their best though, because no matter what year or what the circumstances, the Joe boys can never be written off. They've had their backs pressed against the wall much harder than this in the past

U

Upright

enough of this

Could not agree more. Nearly all of the boys mentioned will line up in various Colts teams next year and realise that its a new game, where they will be competing against bigger stronger and more talented players. Some will progress, many won't. In short don't worry about it. Let the boys enjoy their last few games of school footy and let the supporters enjoy watching it, it will be back next year!. If Newington win good on them, if its Joey's well done, if its shared by a number of schools then so be it. It does seem to me that a number of recent posts have come from people whose allegances are towards a particular school that may have been expecting better. As that hasn't occurred they are now feeling somewhat bewildered or dare i say it, angry!

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
There's been a long tradition of Tongan families sending their sons to Newington. It goes back to the days when Newington was a Methodist school as that faith was/is the predominant one in Tonga, and also in Fiji and Samoa. Recently there was an appeal for Steve Finau who's fallen on hard times; Steve (from Tonga) went to Newington in the early 60s. A list of Old Newingtonians shows their connection with the school to be long and illustrious. Check at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Old_Newingtonians

This remark about Islanders at Newington on scholarships is a cheap shot.

-----

The connection btween Newington & Tonga is way back to 1880's. Newington was established in 1883 and their first headmaster was Rev Dr James Eagan Moulton. He went to Tonga and founded Tupou College in 1886. Tupou College is the top rugby college in Tonga & Willie O (ex-wallaby) was playing 1st XV for Tupou. Even George Smith was a Tupou College for a year. Newington will continue support Tonga & Tupou College offering scholarship - not to play rugby only but study as well.

C

catchpole

As they say in the classics; "Winners are grinners and losers can make their own arrangements"

Newington's come from behind win on Saturday demonstrated massive self belief and strength of character. Congratulations on a vital and hard fought win, although I was hoping for a completely different result.

In my opinion, Newington's No. 7 Mark Baldwin and 13 Brogan Roods had outstanding games.

P

pitbull

good to see that there were some great games of rugby this weekend. but i really do hope that newington do not win the premiership. undeserved. how many of these boys have been there since year 7? i can bet you that there will be very few 13As from 2005 in that team. yes i do know that they have natural talented players such as hugh roach. but the other tongan players on scholarships make it such an unfair playing field. i feel bad for the boys in the 2nds who have dreamt of playing in the 1sts since year 7 and get denied there chance because of some boy on a scholarship. they havent developed any of their own talent at all. all that giving scholarships will do is ruin the morale of the rest of the playing group. lets hope joeys can hand it to them next week.

Hugh Roach - 13 A's
Pat Mckenzie - 13 A's
Chris Vlahos - 13 A's
Mark Baldwin - 13 A's
Oscar Pryor Lees - 13 A's
Mark Bannon - 13 A's
Finlay McDonald - 13 A's
Brogan Roods - 13 A's
Nathan Roye - 13 A's
Alex Vlahos - 13 A's
Matt Gibson - 13 A's

Joel Luani - Year 10
Apolosi Latunipulu - Year 11
Allan Alaalaatoa - Year 8
Ezrah Amituani - Year 9

Cheers mate

M

mostlikely

well thats that

no more of this lets focus on footy
if you want to continue it first name your team and name at least 11 from the 13As

P

pitbull

Glad to see you joined just to make such an informative and interesting post.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We are watching this discussion very closely guys, next person to post on an issue even vaguely linked to scholarships/imports will cop a two week ban.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Whilst I think we should drop the whole scholarship and import talk, he does raise a very good question. Why do the 1sts do well, but every other team gets pumped? According to the fixtures, most Newington teams were playing Kings teams below their level (eg New 3rds vs Kings 4ths) and yet most Kings teams were still able to come out victorious.

You serious? It's called depth. It's like Australia in rugby. They're competitive (although losing) to the All Blacks at the top level but if you had teams like Australian 2nds, 3rd etc. the All Blacks would pump us every time. Their Maori side even beat England! Newington doesn't have a lot of kids playing rugby like Kings, Joeys, Riverview and the rugby culture is different but going forward now. Newington don't have the number of kids and rugby players to compete throughout every team but there's always quality because imo players can only be reach certain heights. Newington's a very ethnic school and the honest fact is mostly white kids play footy. I don't think that's a prejudice comment and obviously a lot of other races play rugby in GPS schools but the majority would be white. I don't think this is related to scholarships/imports.

P

pitbull

I would, I heard that Grammar were quite unfortunate in their loss.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Don't be silly Spewn. I'm all ears, will throw it up on the front page if it is any good...

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Will attempt tomorrow to allow the expectation and excitement to mount to dizzying levels.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
On a windy and cold day at Weigall, Shore played Grammar in a game many of the Grammar faithful hoped to be the boys' long-awaited victory. As it was a Back-to-Weigall day, there was a good, noisy crowd. Shore came away with the victory, but it could have gone either way. Unfortunately two refereeing blunders in the last 10 to 15 minutes spoiled the Grammar party in what was otherwise a reasonably entertaining match between two evenly-matched teams.

Shore started strongly running with the wind. They had Grammar under pressure with their big pack getting over the advantage line quite easily. Poor handling by the Shore backs resulted in crucial turnovers and Grammar withstood the early onslaught. I should say here that the Shore backs were disappointing. There was no one like a Simkin to pentrate out wide and Cleaver's passing was not up to Carmichael's standard. Streeter played well when given opportunities, but too often the 10 or 12's passes went behind the 13 or winger or were delivered past them. I thought this was a peculiarly Grammar trait, but apparently not. I was unsure if it was a skill thing or a lack of communication. It was probably the latter as the ball went behind Giddey and Streeter rather than at their heads or at their toes (there were a couple of these as well).

Shore definitely missed a fetcher today with Irons out of the team. Graham for Grammar was able to steal quite a few at the breakdown, the first of which occurred just inside the Grammar half after the initial Shore barrage. The ball went from Graham out to the left and through quick hands ended up with Bromwich who raced clear, drew the fullback and passed inside to Attard with a changed angle to go in under the posts. Bromwich converted for Grammar to lead 7-0 after about 20 minutes.

Shore again pressured through their big forwards. In traditional Shore fashion, the pack relied on rolling mauls from lineouts to gain the ascendancy. One maul travelled about 15 metres before fracturing (or being brought down). Shore would have been better served to keep it in the forwards as the likes of Berkman, Wood, Rollins and Sinclair got over the advantage line time and again, only to be brought up short by some desperate defence. When they passed out wide, the ball was turned over. A special mention to the Grammar back row, Graham, Robinson and Hay, who are really three number 7's. Their tenacity at the breakdown was a feature and denied Shore a try on many occasions. Robinson and Hay especially are much underrated players compared to the backrow of other teams.

Grammar did appear to engage in spoiling tactics at the breakdown to prevent forward momentum. Coe, Hay and Robinson were pinged for not rolling away as tackler or in going off their feet. Coe was cautioned by the ref several times. An exaperated ref eventually carded Robinson for repeated infringements. In the second half, he evened it up by giving the Shore 6 or 8 a spell.

In a see-sawing half, Grammar then drove it up field and spent about 5 to 10 minutes in the Shore half. Grammar were unlucky not to score another try or at least a penalty conversion (Bromwich missed an easy one close to the sticks). The Shore defence held firm, particularly in the forwards. Giddey epitomised the Shore defence by putting his body on the line in defending against a surge by I think Brown. He got his head in the wrong position, and was left on the ground. There was a long delay as Giddey was stretchered off in a neck brace. I trust he is OK. After time was called back on, Grammar decided to opt for a perennial favourite tactic of their's - let's let the opposition back into the game. It worked. The Grammar fullback fumbled the ball twice within a few minutes to enable Shore to go deep into their half. Quick ball out the backline (which was caught) ended with Streeter going in out wide. Failed conversion. Grammar up 7-5 at the break. Everybody in the crowd looking forward to the second half.

The second half started similarly to the first. Shore dominated possession early. The forwards hit up through the middle, Rollins looking a handful every time he touched the ball. Shore aimed at the Grammar midfield which stood up reasonably well particularly as Graham positioned himself as an extra defender there for most of he game. He put a couple of big hits on the Shore forwards. Would love to see him able to play looser more often. Constant pressure saw another Shore try. Grammar soon hit back with a try to inside centre Max Jones off set piece ball. Try converted for a 14-10 scoreline. Jones was the stand out Grammar back, if not for both teams. He plays very close to the advantage line and has the ability to beat the first tackler. His defence this week was very good after a couple of disappointing misses against Newington. A good prospect for Grammar.

Recognising the weakness on the Grammar right wing, Shore then concentrated down that side. A big run from a rampaging Rollins saw a Shore lineout close to the Grammar line. Darting between a team mate and the ref, Draper I think crossed. Cleaver converted. Shore up 17-14. On Draper, I was surprised to see Merriman listed in the seconds with Draper at halfback. Not sure if Merriman was coming back from injury or was dropped. There were nothing wrong with Draper's service.

After the try Shore continued to focus on the Grammar right wing. Streeter found space outside his man, but unfortunately then ran away from support. But a penalty soon followed with Shore up 20-14. Game appeared over for Grammar. They needed to change tactics and either keep it in the forwards or head for the left wing of Attard. Jeong needed to run himself (actually he rarely ran as if he was instructed not to chance his arm down the blind - and there were opportunities).

They kept it in the forwards where pick and drive from Barratt (who was tireless all day in tight), Robinson, Brown and Graham got Grammar well over the advantage line. For the final 15 minutes Grammar was well inside the Shore half, if not their 22. Shore seemed incapable of clearing it. Their forwards were superb in defence and all must be congratulated as the Grammar forwards drove to the line. Shore saw little ball, and when they did, it was under pressure. About 8 minutes to go, Shore had a scrum on their 22. Graham charged down Cleaver's kick, Smith regathered to score near the posts. The Grammar crowd erupted only to deflate like a punctured Mr Creosote ball as the ref ruled a knock on. Huge blunder. As Smith did not knock on, I can only assume he called Graham's charge down a knock on. Teams like Grammar need a little luck to pull off a win. It was not with them on Saturday. If allowed, the try would probably have been converted as it was beside the posts to give Grammar a 21-20 victory.

More heartbreak was to follow. With a minute or so to go, Hay dived over out wide. He clearly grounded the ball (as I was pretty close by), but the ref was obscured as was the touch judge. No try. Game over. I should say that I was not convinced Grammar would have converted the Hay try.

Shore wins in a thriller between two even teams. Although some skills lacking, it was a good game. Well done. Played in the right spirit throughout. Best for Shore - the entire forward pack for their defence. That pack should trouble other higher placed teams. Streeter good in the backs as was Draper. For Grammar, Barratt, Graham, Robinson and Hay were the best forwards with Jones and Attard the best in the backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.