• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stickybeak

Anyone got any thoughts on Deegan at 10 for Joeys?

did he play there last week? if so he's pretty slick, helped out by a half back with a fantastic pass. I think these Joeys boys are being penalised in GPS selection because they are all so well drilled and play such a team game that the quality of their fundamental skills is overlooked.
That said I havent seen all the other schools

B

baldingwingforward

I think these Joeys boys are being penalised in GPS selection because they are all so well drilled and play such a team game that the quality of their fundamental skills is overlooked.
That said I havent seen all the other schools

No offence Sticky... But that is a pretty stupid and naieve thing to say, especially given that you haven't seen any of the other schools play! Far from beiong penalised in GPS selections, Joeys had far more than they deserved. They have got an average team this year at best (who do play well together i will admit) and have copped hammerings from Scots and View. The GPS selections this year were terrible, but Joeys have nothing to moan about on that front.

S

Stickybeak

No offence Sticky... But that is a pretty stupid and naieve thing to say, especially given that you haven't seen any of the other schools play! Far from beiong penalised in GPS selections, Joeys had far more than they deserved. They have got an average team this year at best (who do play well together i will admit) and have copped hammerings from Scots and View. The GPS selections this year were terrible, but Joeys have nothing to moan about on that front.

Stupid...naive: how would you rate your assertion that I havent seen any of the other schools play...ill-informed?...or something else...
They do because players who I have seen were selected ahead of Joeys players who should have been picked. I'm not going to name names or positions for obvious reasons.
Conspiracy theory: some of the other schools have a lot to gain by pumping their rugby program whereas Joeys have been strong for 30 years and so when they have an average team many think they're no good....they're not no good they're just not as good but by the time they get to year 12 they have had 6 years of fantastic coaching that has taught them the game.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Sticky, I think you will find there is a direct correlation between Joeys rugbyperformances in the last few years and the intro of the BER. Other schools haven't been so effected.

Rugby Parent

Stan Wickham (3)
Stickybeak, I am sure you have good grounds to believe that players in this year's Joeys team were hard done by in the GPS selections, but the arguments you have presented seem to contradict your assertion.

If the Joey boys in question have both exceptional individual skills (that would hold them in good stead at the next level) and they are great team players as well, why aren't Joeys results in this year's GPS comp reflecting this position?

I believe Junior Rep teams should be a tool for development of talented players, and not selected on the basis of picking a winning rep team at the next level (If this approach was adopted selectors might be tempted to pick established 'well coached' combinations over talented individuals).

Under my junior rep team philosophy (of picking talented individuals for exposure to higher levels of coaching and competition leading to future development quality senior players). I have seen teams like Kings in 2010 still (rightly) getting good representation at GPS and higher level rep teams, due to the players individual talents, despite disappointing results as a team.

Conversely, I have seen good teams winning comps, but not dominating representation at the next level, because the selectors are of the opinion that exceptional teamwork has got the results despite the team not having lots of individuals with exceptional talents. I don't have a problem with this outcome.

However I repeat, I haven't seen a team of exceptionally talented individuals, who also play well drilled rugby as a team (as you assert is the case with Joeys), get disappointing results.

If you can present a compelling argument that the Joeys boys had the superior talent as individuals I would share your disappointment.

G

G-78-XV-V

weekend.....opens..agree with Sarge, with less detail !!

New vs Scots...match of ther ound and probably 2nd place decider....will stay with Scots away from home...
Joeys vs Kings...Joeys at home...more than three
Iggies vs Grammar....Iggies by lots at home...Hope Grammar score some points.
Shore vs High/TAS....Low scoring...Shore in front at the whistle.

U 16's............
New vs Scots....also match of the round ??? hard to pick....I'll go New at home.
Joeys vs Kings....another tough one....Kings will need 100%...Kings by10..
Iggies vs Grammar...Iggies
Shore vs High/TAS (will TAS send their sixteens or will Shore play High??) either way Shore by 20

stem

Stan Wickham (3)
Very well said "Rugby Parent".
In the reality of the inappropriate timing of the GPS rugby season , attitudes and performance changes rapidly........., less then 2 comp games into the season selections commence, talent is identified,..... as well as dominant teams,...... and the hard work and physical challenges multiply ......and YES egos start to inflate .....all of a sudden the individual becomes moe important than the team....the goal to represent the state or even country becomes all consuming even larger than the team....it can/ will and does have a dramatic impact on performance at the team ( mates & school) level....this trend/ reaction is in fact very normal human behaviour in any competitive environment. Kings last year was a classic example of a team of champions imploding!!!
Hence the old adage rings true.....a champion team over a team of champions any day

S

sportzfan

Yes but the sad reality is these so called adults now have children and therefore history repeats!!!!!!!!!!!

S

Stickybeak

If the Joey boys in question have both exceptional individual skills (that would hold them in good stead at the next level) and they are great team players as well said:
How can you say they are not reflected in results? The only undefeated side is Riveriew...Scots have been lauded and they are level with Joeys. The GPS teams were picked after 1 round (or 2?). SJC lost to TSC but had beaten them in the pre-season.

Where did "exceptionally talented" come from? I never said it. Its a bit of laugh that some players get picked and some dont: it you didn't see the game then you may not know who and what I mean but it happens year in year out.

How has the BER impacted on other school's rugby?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
How can you say they are not reflected in results? The only undefeated side is Riveriew...Scots have been lauded and they are level with Joeys. The GPS teams were picked after 1 round (or 2?). SJC lost to TSC but had beaten them in the pre-season.

Where did "exceptionally talented" come from? I never said it. Its a bit of laugh that some players get picked and some dont: it you didn't see the game then you may not know who and what I mean but it happens year in year out.

How has the BER impacted on other school's rugby?

Can we get back to the rugby lads? Everyone on this site bar Stickbeak couldn't give a fuck about this topic so lets move on. Stickybeak; feel free to start a new thread to continue this argument.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
players who I have seen were selected ahead of Joeys players who should have been picked. I'm not going to name names or positions for obvious reasons.

Rubbish - especially if you are talking about this year when they got more than their fair share.

I speak as a Joeys tragic who has watched them for decades.

No more silly posts like this please.

Thank you.

J

jayden

Interesting, thanks knight. Interested to see if Horwitz is able to throw a longer pass, I think his strengths lie elsewhere. He has not used the long pass which is used very effectively by Deegan, King (the shore 10 you were referring to) and even Vaux at times. Can any Scots associates comment on Horwitz longer passing game?

bogan bull

Frank Row (1)
weekend.....opens..agree with Sarge, with less detail !!

New vs Scots...match of ther ound and probably 2nd place decider....will stay with Scots away from home...
Joeys vs Kings...Joeys at home...more than three
Iggies vs Grammar....Iggies by lots at home...Hope Grammar score some points.
Shore vs High/TAS....Low scoring...Shore in front at the whistle.

U 16's............
New vs Scots....also match of the round ??? hard to pick....I'll go New at home.
Joeys vs Kings....another tough one....Kings will need 100%...Kings by10..
Iggies vs Grammar...Iggies
Shore vs High/TAS (will TAS send their sixteens or will Shore play High??) either way Shore by 20

S

sulidoror

scots passed newington to death in the last trial; ran from everywhere and went wide quickly a lot; scored one fantatsic try from kickoff; thinking of going to this one just in the hope of seeing a repetition; was running/randwick rugby at its best.

Status
Not open for further replies.