• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Shore lost to Oakhill 29-28 in a "loose" affair today. Defence was not great but it was end to end and not much kicking in the 5 tries to 4 game.

H

HarveyColon

anyone know how shore, high or grammar played

st pats beat grammar something like 35 - 0
riverview beat pats 72-5
riverview v grammar shall be an interesting game

M

Michelle

well I have news for you harvey COLON but grammar beat st pius today

J

JC Rugby101

Harvey,
Grammar have won more premierships and produced more Wallabies than 'View - its a marathon not a sprint

After watching Riverview today... And apologies as never like writing off teams or players, but grammar will get a fair touch up of they take it seriously.

Bill McLean (32)
New had Lussick and Hood out whilst Ahosivi played in the 2nds. I think New are using the trials to compare players. There is serious competition for a number of positions.

Ahhh!!! The temperamental, yet very talented Joey Lussick! I agree! I forgot all about him being missing today. I know its somewhat ex post facto but he would have made a big difference! Have to laugh at the fact that Lussick, Moeroa and Milne are all current SG players. In fact Lussick and Moeroa are both from Parramatta!

BTW did anyone else notice the presence of 'Mr Junior ARU' at today's Kings v Newington game. I am of course referring to unobtrusive Manu Sutherland. I guess I am not the only one who thinks these are the two teams to watch this season!

Regards,

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Ahhh!!! The temperamental, yet very talented Joey Lussick! I agree! I forgot all about him being missing today. I know its somewhat ex post facto but he would have made a big difference! Have to laugh at the fact that Lussick, Moeroa and Milne are all current SG players. In fact Lussick and Moeroa are both from Parramatta!

BTW did anyone else notice the presence of 'Mr Junior ARU' at today's Kings v Newington game. I am of course referring to unobtrusive Manu Sutherland. I guess I am not the only one who thinks these are the two teams to watch this season.
Why do you suggest Lussick is temperamental?
Why is it funny that those 3 are current SG players?
Too much emphasis on GPS by NGS, wonder if Manu heard that 6 or so of his boys were given a Rugby lesson by a backline of no name yr 11 kids at Scots last week.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Too much emphasis on GPS by NGS, wonder if Manu heard that 6 or so of his boys were given a Rugby lesson by a backline of no name yr 11 kids at Scots last week.

What's not funny is when they get selected in rep sides ahead of rugby committed boys then go straight to league after school. Wouldn't Sutherlands car be on auto pilot to Kings or Newington:D .

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What's not funny is when they get selected in rep sides ahead of rugby committed boys then go straight to league after school. Wouldn't Sutherlands car be on auto pilot to Kings or Newington:D .
Well i'm guessing he's not a regular up your way?
You would be in a good position to compare a few of the GPS sides, how do they line up in your opinion?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE (which is soon to be CT_E),

You have hit the nail on the head. The game was won by Newington in their forwards today! I must admit I left with 5 minutes to go but by that time New were up 3 tries to 1.

Leaving defence aside, the game in general was not a great spectacle by any sense of the word as there was way too much dropped ball (especially from teams of this calibre). It was if the ball had been injected with oil that kept seeping through to the outer surface! As RugbyGirl suggests perhaps both teams were rusty!

The match ups as far as the back lines were concerned were somewhat of an anti-climax. However i will defer to great defence from both sides to offset my disappointment here! I expected the Kings boys to dominate but the the Newington backs defended well, especially Moeroa.

In terms of territory and possession Newington had it all over Kings, and I think I can count on one hand the times Kings got out of its own half. But for the excellent defence of Kings' Tulloch, Davies and Davis Newington would have had a field day!

Morris and Cannell for Newington were outstanding and were the difference on the day they were sublime! Conversely my hat also goes of to McCalman and Moylan from Kings (especially McCalman, he was tenacious as he was tireless)! There isnt much to this lad McCalman in terms of physical presence, but this is more than compensated by his willingness to put his body on the line!

Moeroa and Milne both bagged a try each, however for the amount of possession Newington had i expected more. Nevertheless as stated above the Kings inside defence was awesome! In saying that Newington were not serviced very well by their fly half. This lad was very unpredictable and the Newington back line was worse off for it! They were too shallow!

IMO the wingers and fullback for Newington put in subpar performances. One such instance resulted in McCalman charging down a kick and scoring a freakish try! I know, and have seen, all three play better so i will put their performance down to the fact that the game was a trial. Harry Jones from Kings didn't get much of a look in as far as ball was concerned, but when he did he showed flashes of his usual brilliance.

On a final note can someone tell me who the Newington #20 was who came on as a reserve in the second half? Im sure he was the same lad who played in the Newington 2nd's at #6. He is of Asian appearance. He had a great game in the 2nd's and so too in the 1st's. He absolutely crunched Foketi in a try saving tackle in the second half! Never seen him before!

And for the love of me, can someone please explain why Kings were going for penalty shots at goal during a trial game.

Regards,
Newbie.

A different view of the game as told to me over the phone by a Kings father:

" Pretty even affair in the first half with Kings drawing first blood after a McCalman charge down saw him score near the posts - Kings up 7-0. Thereafter New dominated field position and possession with only Kings resolute defence holding them out until close to half time when Milne scored an excellent try running an inside angle. Confirmed plenty of dropped ball from both sides mainly from pushed passes rather than loose carries. 7-7 at halftime.
Kings went up 10-7 early in the second half after a Tulloch penalty but spent the next 20 mins deprived of possession and camped in their own half. The constant pressure told with Prassas diving over out wide from a ruck close to the line. New up 12-10. Kings had a penalty kick to retake the lead with about 15 mins left but it sailed wide. Shortly after Kings winger Carter was apparently unlucky not to hold onto an intercept attempt that would have seen him race away for a probable match winner. New's forwards lifted towards the end of the game and aided by a 7-2 second half penalty count they found themselves with plenty of possession in the right end of the field at the right time in the game and took full advantage of it. Moeroa scored a brilliant individual try off the good work of his forwards with about 5 mins left to seal the game for New 19-10.
The set pieces were pretty evenly matched and it was the loose forwards for both teams who were the standouts - McCalman and Randell for Kings and Morris and Vasillis for New. Due to the volume of possesion New enjoyed their backs had far more opportunities than Kings and both Milne and Moeroa took full advantage. Bottom line - Kings were starved of possession in the second half and did well to hang in there but ultimately New were the better side on the day and deserved their win. Looking forward to the return fixture at Kings in the GPS round game"

Bill McLean (32)

ILTW,

I had the opportunity to watch Lussick several times during last years Harold Matthews Cup where he was playing for Manly. Let me just say that he can get very emotional to put it simply. He also knows how to get inside the heads of opposition players with trash talk (which I personally don't mind as long as it does not refer to one's mother).

With respect to your question of 'why so funny'. Firstly, all three SG Ball lads were precluded from the NGS this year because of their respective affiliation with League. Secondly, lo and behold here was Manu Sutherland attending a game where two of the same lads scored great trys, and should be in the mix for selection in NSW teams this year, teams which Manu will have input as far as selections will go! In other words will their league affiliation preclude them again!

Regards,

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
ILTW,

I had the opportunity to watch Lussick several times during last years Harold Matthews Cup where he was playing for Manly. Let me just say that he can get very emotional to put it simply. He also knows how to get inside the heads of opposition players with trash talk (which I personally don't mind as long as it does not refer to one's mother).

With respect to your question of 'why so funny'. Firstly, all three SG Ball lads were precluded from the NGS this year because of their respective affiliation with League. Secondly, lo and behold here was Manu Sutherland attending a game where two of the same lads scored great trys, and should be in the mix for selection in NSW teams this year, teams which Manu will have input as far as selections will go! In other words will their league affiliation preclude them again!
I hope so, they have made a commitment to another code,Lussick has been the subject of press articles regarding his contract with the Eels.If he has a 3 year contract it defies logic that the other 2 don't as well.
leave this pathway for kids who intend to follow the pathway.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
ILTW,

Regards,

Manu is not a NSW Schools selector nor does he have any coaching or managerial role in the 2012 NSW teams. I think you'll find that his official role is the ARU Pathway to Gold High Performance Coach. Both New and Kings have a large number of their players in either the NGS or JGS squads so he was likely checking on their performances.

Bill McLean (32)
Manu is not a NSW Schools selector nor does he have any coaching or managerial role in the 2012 NSW teams. I think you'll find that his official role is the ARU Pathway to Gold High Performance Coach. Both New and Kings have a large number of their players in either the NGS or JGS squads so he was likely checking on their performances.

CTPE,
I know, i am not ignorant of that fact, and yes 'officially' Manu is not a selector! I could not agree with you more in this respect!

Nevertheless Manu has influence, emphatically so, and to suggest otherwise is to deny the obvious. This aspect was very apparent at last year's NSW Schools trials!

Regards,

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Can you name the Joey's team that played today?

1. T.Robertson
2. B.Carolan
3. M.Sandell
4. D.O'Donohue
5. J.Hardy
6. J.Watts
7. T.Murphy
8. J.Goldie

9. P.Curtin
10. A Deegan
11. T.Cleary
12. J.Kay