• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Can somebody help me out just to satisfy my own curiosity, how many Aust Schools reps produced by Joeys since they allowed day students have been day students as opposed to full time boarders? There is no hidden agenda with this question I am simply curious to know the answer. If anybody knows could they also possibly name those that have been day boys and made the Aust. Schools teams.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I would be interested in how many day pupils they actually have.
Given the hours they are required to be there, it would only be practical for locals.
I just don't think there are that many???

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I would be interested in how many day pupils they actually have.
Given the hours they are required to be there, it would only be practical for locals.
I just don't think there are that many???
Yeah I'm not really sure of the ratio between the two. The main reason I ask is that looking at the top ten schools who have provided Aust Schools reps, three (St Eddies, Marist Canberra and Brisbane State High) are day boys only. The other seven have a boarding component. Joeys tops the list and as we know for a long time was strictly boarding. I am curious to see how many day boys have repped at that level since a day option came available and whether or not the boarders are still the ones who predominantly progress to rep honors.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Actually, in 2009 he played 3rd and 4th Grade for Manly. In 2010 he was in the 1sts. He had played league for Narraweena before any of that.

Good sucking up though.

Should have known better than to quote specifics about a Northern Beaches lad. He did mention that he had played some mungoball in his interview on Rugby Club. I thought you Peninsular dwellers had banned those evil mungoballers from progressing beyond the Spit Bridge, Roseville Bridge and Mona Vale Road Check points.:)

Still the basic point is that all hope is not lost if you do not make GPS 1, 2 or 3 while at school, and also NOT all Aust Schoolboys transition into the Wobs post school. Less so the year 10/Under 16 stars. Never give up trying.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I thought you Peninsular dwellers had banned those evil mungoballers from progressing beyond the Spit Bridge, Roseville Bridge and Mona Vale Road Check points.:)

The trouble we had at the Rats was keeping them away from the Western Force because they missed a lot of the season and some years we didn't see some of them.

Yeah, it would have been good if Neville turned left at Dee Why but he turned right and ended up in Manly. But we got a good young lock at the Rats about that time. He had no rugby pedigree and was supporting himself washing dishes and learning his rugby trade from Scott Fardy.

Hugh Pyle.

RUGBYGIRL11

Peter Burge (5)
Was it the 15As or the 15Bs where the behaviour of some of the Kings players was simply disgraceful?

The 15C's. It was beyond disgraceful. Kings players subjected a New player to some very heavy racial vilification. Same thing happened in the trials earlier this year. It may well turn into a very major public issue if Kings don't properly deal with the offenders.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can somebody help me out just to satisfy my own curiosity, how many Aust Schools reps produced by Joeys since they allowed day students have been day students as opposed to full time boarders? There is no hidden agenda with this question I am simply curious to know the answer. If anybody knows could they also possibly name those that have been day boys and made the Aust. Schools teams.

The influence of boarders in GPS rugby is something that probably applies to most schools that have a decent sized boarder cohort. Never underestimate that hard as nails mongrel attitude these boys bring to the game.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Wondering what the consensus is of the current GPS format. With Grammar/TAS/High grouping it leaves a ridiculously short season with 7-10 trial games and only 6 comp games! Now I hear Grammar may withdraw their 1sts in 2013 as a statement by headmaster re imbalance due to rugby scholarships (and he has 2 other headmasters also in support)! When will GPS move to a 2 round, home & away season?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Wondering what the consensus is of the current GPS format. With Grammar/TAS/High grouping it leaves a ridiculously short season with 7-10 trial games and only 6 comp games! Now I hear Grammar may withdraw their 1sts in 2013 as a statement by headmaster re imbalance due to rugby scholarships (and he has 2 other headmasters also in support)! When will GPS move to a 2 round, home & away season?

I agree, either 2 rounds or a finals series to get an outright title holder.....or both

Interesting about Grammar, maybe some of the other schools will withdraw students from the HSC for the same reason!!

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I agree, either 2 rounds or a finals series to get an outright title holder...or both

Interesting about Grammar, maybe some of the other schools will withdraw students from the HSC for the same reason!!

If Grammar wants to go in a different direction then so be it. Rugby has always figured greatly in GPS. Perhaps there should be a redrawing of GPS, CAS etc into like minded schools that can compete equally in which ever area they see as important

RUGBYGIRL11

Peter Burge (5)

I'd like to know who the two other Headmasters are? Surely they'd have to stop their own scholarship programs first.

As for Grammar, they are just reaping what they sowed over many years with their unhealthy obsession with academics at all costs, to the exclusion of sporting excellence. Other schools have shown you can have both.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thanks
The influence of boarders in GPS rugby is something that probably applies to most schools that have a decent sized boarder cohort. Never underestimate that hard as nails mongrel attitude these boys bring to the game.
Thanks for that, do you know the answer to my question though?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Its hard to tell because pretty much everyone is boarding by year 12, Michael Kovicac was the first current day boy to make the 1st XV in 2010. Fairly sure Damien Fitzpatrick (2007) may have been a day boy at some stage.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree, either 2 rounds or a finals series to get an outright title holder...or both

That would be a good observation but for the fact that the purpose of going to school is to get an education not to give the old boys a nudger when they win a rugby title.
However I do not think dr Vallance would cite protest as his reason: the risk of injury, bing a somewhat more practical consideration for a headmaster is the more like reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'd like to know who the two other Headmasters are? Surely they'd have to stop their own scholarship programs first.

As for Grammar, they are just reaping what they sowed over many years with their unhealthy obsession with academics at all costs, to the exclusion of sporting excellence. Other schools have shown you can have both.
2011 head of the river. Which school has shown you can have both?
All the GPS schools have academic scholarships....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Think About Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting about Grammar, maybe some of the other schools will withdraw students from the HSC for the same reason!![/quote]

We should not lose sight of the importance of education. All boys attending GPS schools have a wonderful opportunity. These schools provide a diversity of high quality education which is unparalleled. Surely our discussion should focus on continued improvement in all areas of academic, sporting and other cultural activities. In this forum we need to work out how to improve the overall quality of GPS rugby. Sydney club rugby, NSW rugby and Australian rugby are in desparate need of an improved broad platform from these schools. The current danger is this platform may be sinking.

K

kbw

The 15C's. It was beyond disgraceful. Kings players subjected a New player to some very heavy racial vilification. Same thing happened in the trials earlier this year. It may well turn into a very major public issue if Kings don't properly deal with the offenders.

Thanks for the clarification. I think it will really be test for the school, if nothing is done it will be disgraceful. I hadn't heard about it happening in the trials, but the fact they did it again is a very striking comment on Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.