• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyril Towers (30)
some very poor SJC defence
As a Joeys tragic who was at the game it hurts me to say it but I agree. However that 2nd try was still an absolute cracker. The Scots 15 looks to be a real talent. Joeys forwards looked pretty good though and I suspect some work has been done on the backline defence this week. Joeys often seem to focus on a particular skill during trials. Last week was pick and drive week. Wonder what it will be this week? Should be a good game at View.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As a Joeys tragic who was at the game it hurts me to say it but I agree. However that 2nd try was still an absolute cracker. The Scots 15 looks to be a real talent. Joeys forwards looked pretty good though and I suspect some work has been done on the backline defence this week. Joeys often seem to focus on a particular skill during trials. Last week was pick and drive week. Wonder what it will be this week? Should be a good game at View.
True - pretty slick Scots hand. SJC had about 3 opportunities to shut it down: they normally only need 1.

B

Bandit

Joeys 38 bt View 28. Joeys played well, deserved the victory. View suffered key injuries + Dempsey didn't start. Both sides with room for improvement before they next meet in Rd 1

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Scots 19 new 17. Lussick missed penalty from just to the left of the posts with 2 minutes left.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys 38 beat View 28. Pretty good game but both sides need improvement, however both teams had key players out. Man of the match without a doubt goes to Joeys 1 Robertson, scored 2 and looked dangerous with every carry, huge shot at schoolboys. Joeys forwards again worked well and had many penalties going there way at the breakdown. View had some good moments and are still a big chance of winning the comp.
Joeys standouts - 1 Robertson, 5 O'Donahue, 10 Deegan.
View standouts - 15 and 8

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
Sam Gerrey Burgess and Michael Kennedey had a terrible head clash in 10th minute both not to return. very big loss for the riverview boys. any news on 2nds results today?

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
match report on joeys vs view and scots vs newington??

New v Scots

Great game, although plenty of errors and some I'll discipline. Both teams dominated possession at various times throughout the match with Scots the first to score after sustained pressure on the New line.New were the better team throughout although poor final options or balls going to ground cost them. New hit back with a bullocking try to their number 2. The match was entertaining for it's colossal hits (new 12) and exciting counter attacking football never more evident than scots 2nd try. New had possession deep in own half new 12 broke the line and it was fed through to 13 who kicked through a metre or 2 from scots line Kellaway clean up passed it to the other side of the field where 14 scooted down the touch line breaking several tackles to score in the opposite corner to a round of applause from all present. 12 New would have been man of the match in a losing team outpointing his opposite Stewart and injuring him in a tackle leading to him leaving the field. He made several line breaks and destroyed those who ran at him. With the clock ticking New turned down a shot for penalty goal 10 from the end before accepting another 2 from time. New 10 looked set to seal a 1 point victory before inexplicably missing from adjacent to the left hand upright. An enthralling match no the less and Scots showed great commitment to somehow grab victory.

S

skyblueandwhite

I'm hearing that Shore were ahead 25-10 well into the second half..is this correct? If so big come back from Kings.

Yeah it was a good comeback from kings, with 14 men towards the end as well. There were two yellow cards to kings in the match as well.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
View 28 Joeys 38

As you can see by the scoreline the defences had problems; not so much in tackling but to be in places where they could do so.

Joeys were again caught by breakouts which lead to long gains and eventual tries and View had a few occasions where players were just standing around expecting their team mates to do something.

There were some good individual efforts though that would have been hard to stop regardless. 8 Whitley from View opened the scoring with a Higginbotham type effort, and in the 2nd half MOTM 1. Robertson of Joeys burst out of the pack with the pace of a back and did a Mortlock type dive over the goal line to score. The earth trembled. This was after a long break he made a few minutes earlier, but his short efforts over the gain line all afternoon were equally impressive. Unfortunately he was cut over one eye and had to go off and stay off.

The smaller Joeys scrum was superior too just as it was against Scots. I think Robertson played himself into the GPS Ones today as his side of the scrum was at least steady and often dominant. 3. Carolan's side was just as steady. Looks like the coaching work of Rats and Force man AJ Whalley, never much of a scrummager himself, is paying off.

I was looking forward to watching one of my favourite players, 6. Dempsey, play for View today but he was injured, and his mongrel and in your face attitude was missed. The View forwards played well in fits and starts and as individuals, but as they did last week, Joeys had the better pack of players hunting together.

I thought that 4. Rorke, from the 2011 Oz Schools team, would lift View, but I couldn't see it. The 2nd rower who took my eye was 5. O'Donahue of Joeys. Like a lot of Joeys locks over the years he is not a giraffe and plays like a backrower. Goldie was again good but this week as a hooker with his THP throwing the ball to the lineout, not as an 8. You have to love school footie.

Many promising moves of the View backs were butchered by poor ball work but there were some fine individual runs. I liked the looks of 15. Robertson but the best for me was 13 Redden. 12 SGB had a few runs like Lloyd Johansson, but he got a knock and had to go off.

The Joeys backs were better this week than last and showed a better deception. There were a few bounced passes including one which blew a try, but generally there was improvement.

10 Deegan looked more assured than ever and 13 Barclay showed a bit of why he got state rep honours last year. Kicking for line and for goal needs more work though as they were problematic last week also. Once they got a penalty in the View red zone and the kick for the attacking lineout went touch in goal.

Both teams left tries on the park, and missed key tackles or weren't there to make them, but it was a good game for a trial

Twos: View 10 Joeys 7 There wasn't much in this game and the difference in the scores was because View took a penalty kick at goal. Joeys probably had more of the game, but could not seize their chances against good View defence.

There were some splendid youngsters in the game: obviously the up and comers for next year. I liked the look of the nuggety 9. King, who scored the View try and the running of his team mate, 10. May.

U/16: View 7 Joeys 17

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
However that 2nd try was still an absolute cracker.

The Scots 15 looks to be a real talent.

Joeys often seem to focus on a particular skill during trials. Last week was pick and drive week. Wonder what it will be this week?

That Scots try last week certainly was a cracker and I am glad that somebody posted a video of it because I couldn't remember who made the long run - it was the 11 running on the right wing, Rayner.

15. Kellaway is a fine talent and still has another year to go at school. I said last week that he ran like Matt Burke as a schoolboy and you can see the same style there. He had a bit of trouble last year reading the game and they put him on the wing in rep games IIRR. Is certainly one to watch.

Joeys did the pick and drive this week too and View had as much trouble defending against it as Scots did. You would have loved the scrum today: maybe even better that last week. The LHP Robertson is one to watch when he leaves school.

K

King

Kellaway was no match for the Big No.14 for Augustines in the trial match 2 weeks ago smashed 3 tries over him! Augustines winning 45/0

Status
Not open for further replies.