• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He went well: not in a brilliant way but in a steady way and that is sometimes all a backline needs. He doesn't have the best pass in the world but he clears quickly. He probably has to snipe more as he did in the Twos last week but it's just as likely that I missed the occasions when he did it. I yack a lot with innocent bystanders.

Will have to work on his box kick though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Kellaway was no match for the Big No.14 for Augustines in the trial match 2 weeks ago smashed 3 tries over him! Augustines winning 45/0
Wow - is that right? What a scoreline. I've seen Joeys touched up by Auggies in trials in recent years, but that's a thrashing.

Who was the no.14, Charlie Taylor? And is he going to play league like a lot of Auggies stars do?

Thanks for reporting on what you have seen. Naturally, I can only comment on what I have seen, also.

J

JC Rugby101

Yes that's correct Auggies 45-nil v Scots couple of weeks ago. Guess that's why not much reporting of that game. Auggies have blitzed all past 2-3 years and would clearly be the best 1st XV in the state.

K

King

Yes you are correct ! I Know most of the boys in Augustine's well and I can tell you about this Chap, He will be the youngest player ever for Manly Sea Eagles to be playing U20s Toyota Cup next year ! Not bad for a kid who doesn't turn 17 until a few months time ! He's extremely fast and weighs around the 93 kilo at present. He has just finished playing up a year in Manly's S G Ball Team and has scored plenty of tries for them. Union have missed him under their radar But I hear he wants to go as far as he can in his School Union as he loves the game as well. He can play anywhere in the Backline but mainly plays on the Wing. I have heard he a and Kellaway are great mates. A real Try Scoring Machine.

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
so does anyone have any news on 2nds results around the gps yesterday? who are looking good at the moment? tips for the comp? i love watching seconds xv because they seem to play with free will and are willing to try anything. so any news on yesterday would be great!

therugbyman

Stan Wickham (3)
so does anyone have any news on 2nds results around the gps yesterday? who are looking good at the moment? tips for the comp? i love watching seconds xv because they seem to play with free will and are willing to try anything. so any news on yesterday would be great!
riverview beat joeys 10-7
newington beat scots 25-12
shore beat kings 31-29

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
King - thanks for that

I always like watching Auggies play when I get the chance, but it's hard to get to see the GPS team I follow and Auggies, because they play more or less at the same time.

I should watch Auggies only for the rugby they play, but it's like watching Hills: you know that a majority of the best players, apart from big props and tall locks, are committed to the other code, but you don't know which ones. There are some lads from private schools association teams who are committed to the other side also, especially in Queensland, but it is a smaller percentage.

Part of being a rugby union nut and watching schools players is: wondering how they will progress after they leave school and maybe getting into Super Rugby and perhaps even test matches. You don't get that particular buzz watching those two schools play, however well they play it. I realise that is no fault of the boys and it's just my defect - but just saying....

What would be Auggies' biggest game for the rest of the season, not counting Waratah Shield? Was yesterday their big match (going by the reasonable scoreline only)?

Bill McLean (32)
Yes you are correct ! I Know most of the boys in Augustine's well and I can tell you about this Chap, He will be the youngest player ever for Manly Sea Eagles to be playing U20s Toyota Cup next year ! Not bad for a kid who doesn't turn 17 until a few months time ! He's extremely fast and weighs around the 93 kilo at present. He has just finished playing up a year in Manly's S G Ball Team and has scored plenty of tries for them. Union have missed him under their radar But I hear he wants to go as far as he can in his School Union as he loves the game as well. He can play anywhere in the Backline but mainly plays on the Wing. I have heard he a and Kellaway are great mates. A real Try Scoring Machine.

Who is this you are talking about? Is it Taylor? He was great at the NSWCCC league trials this week (as posted in the ISA thread)! Unfortunately he wasn't selected!

J

JC Rugby101

What would be Auggies' biggest game for the rest of the season, not counting Waratah Shield? Was yesterday their big match (going by the reasonable scoreline only)?

That will probably be as close as any team will get.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
King - thanks for that

I always like watching Auggies play when I get the chance, but it's hard to get to see the GPS team I follow and Auggies, because they play more or less at the same time.

I should watch Auggies only for the rugby they play, but it's like watching Hills: you know that a majority of the best players, apart from big props and tall locks, are committed to the other code, but you don't know which ones. There are some lads from private schools association teams who are committed to the other side also, especially in Queensland, but it is a smaller percentage.

Part of being a rugby union nut and watching schools players is: wondering how they will progress after they leave school and maybe getting into Super Rugby and perhaps even test matches. You don't get that particular buzz watching those two schools play, however well they play it. I realise that is no fault of the boys and it's just my defect - but just saying....

Certainly they have a reputation for being a League School, but IMO is no longer accurate.There have been literally less than a handful of league boys playing in the 1st's in the last 5 years.
I think that King from the Sea Eagles is the most recent School leaver to succeed in League. Salesi Manu is now with the Force,Katoni Ale has been close to a contract a few times but suffered untimely injuries and Mali Hingano is with the Oz 20's squad. at the manly rats game last week, manly's 2 9's were ex Auggies boys from '09

Biggest game from now will be an away game with Oakhill.(not including Waratah shield)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Salesi Manu is now with the Force,Katoni Ale has been close to a contract a few times but suffered untimely injuries and Mali Hingano is with the Oz 20's squad. at the manly rats game last week, manly's 2 9's were ex Auggies boys from '09

Biggest game from now will be an away game with Oakhill.(not including Waratah shield)
Yeah, I watched all of them play when they were at Auggies, but never in the ISA comp - only in the Waratah Shield, trial games, rep games or for Oz Schools.

It's been good to see Salesi come to prominence now, but I didn't think it would be as a THP. He was always a LHP when I saw him as a schoolboy and I didn't see him play on the TH side until he left Manly to come to the Rats last year. I doubt if he will get too much time on the LH side at the Force with another Rat, Cowan, there, but it would be a good thing if he got a shot at starting with the 1 jersey some time to see how he goes.

Kotoni has been unlucky as you say. He kept Hooper out of the Oz Schools team when Hooper was in Yr. 11, though not on merit because I thought that Hooper was the best player of the Oz Schools tournament in any position that year. Kotoni played in all the backrow spots in school rep matches but he was never going to be big enough to play anything but 7 as a senior player.

Oz rugby is well served with openside flankers, not only at the highest level nor in the middle level but also at the lower level - there are some fine 7s like Ale and Jenkins who can't get a Super contract.

The jury is still out on Mali but he has time on his side and as you say: he is in the Oz U/20 team. A nice young man.

F

Final Whistle

Newbie, Yes that is him. Phil and Michael Blake also went to Augustines. I think there are only a few in firsts that play league as well.

I

Insidegoss12

being a joeys boy myself, i can unbiasedly say i am worried about round 1. view looked dangerous every time they had the ball and once there fowards get their set piece right they will be a force to be reckoned with....

R

rugby union

Who is performing well for Shore? Any players really stepping up?
Steane Davies playing 12 and 15 has been the standout in both of Shores close losses to Oakhill and Kings. Went off injured in final minutes of game against kings. Once several forwards return from injury the team will be alot stronger and upsets to several teams are likely

E

elcapitano

interesting game in the 2nds between joeys and view, joeys dominated possesion of the ball but couldnt seem to crack the line, ball was secured and ran well by both number 6 and 4 however the backline struggled to create any form or threaten the opposing defence.

M

Mr Foo Ty

Someone posted about the Newington #20 in the 2s the other week, who also got a run with the 1s. I can confirm that it was the young year 11 flier Tim Lee. He has a reputation for being tough and hitting hard and he will be a real prospect for Newington in whatever team he ends up in this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.