• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
AAGPS 2012 rugby season is over. The Premiership has been settled. Time for an end of season review and to consider the all important annual award nominations:

Best BBQ
Considerations: Speed of service, quality of food, banter in the queue, product range, price, quality of cooking, quality of onions, condiment range, user friendliness of condiments, Bread vs Rolls, Operating hours, location of BBQ.
JOEYS because they will do runny eggs for you B & E Roll. Big mention to New as the wind was blowing food off the plate!

Best Canteen
Considerations: Speed of service, quality and range of products, banter in the queue, prices, coldness of drinks, customer service, operating hours.
SCOTS Nice ladies there too
Best Pie
Considerations: Taste, Filling Hotness (Tongue burner, Just right - Easily scoffable, tepid, cold), Sauces, basicness (minus points for gourmet fillings, it is a meat pie), price.
TBC
Best Coffee
Considerations: Price, Speed of Service, Barista, Ability to not laugh at an order of a 1/2 decaf, skinny soy vanilla machiato late in a large cup.
There is not a decent cup to be had around ANY ground. Closest is the little shop up from Weigall
Best Afternoon Tea
Considerations: Quantity, Weather appropriateness - Hot food on a cold wet day etc, Quantity, Range, Speedy access, Quantity, Seconds, Quantity.
Not good enough to get in the hallowed dining rooms
Best Programme
Considerations: Content, layout and ease of reading, accuracy, quantity available, locations where available.
JOEYS and then daylight. Anyone that puts soccer as the middle page should be flogged. Regularly.
Best Dressed Ovals
Considerations: Grass cover, Line markings, roping, Flags, Goal post pads, goal post height, Changing sheds access and set up, spectator viewing, car parking, wet weather/windy weather protection, drainage, warm up space.
Ground? SJC and then? Spectator viewing? Iggys. Parking ? TKS.
Best First Aid
Considerations: Knowledge, speed of response, medical supplies, ambulance access, quantity of responders, location of First Aid Tent.
All... How many times can you have an Orto diagnose on the sideline? Big Cheers here to ALL the old boys that watch
Best Bathrooms
Considerations: Cleanliness, Smell, lighting, Quantity, Distance, directional signage, ease of access for the less mobile.
All have improved markedly over the years. The only negative would be at New but that is due to them building the new carpark?

Feel free to nominate a school/venue in one or many categories.

R

random205

They deleted my comment on the video but let me reinforce the fact that Newington did not earn this team from years of development, bar a few I assume (or hope). Personal opinion is that Newington have ruined the GPS by resorting to importing. They were the catalyst for other schools doing it. What happened to this world!!!???? Some schools have stuck to the old methods of development and from personal experience are already having to start up pre-season gym programs just to attempt to keep up with the other importing schools. Where is the etiquette in GPS when there is no development of players from an early age at their school, instead they find a player who is amazing and chuck in a free education and take the glory when they win premierships or make in the top grade! There's my rant for the week.

All in all the Newington side was amazing too strong and I'm just grabbing at any excuse possible and this seems the appropiate
completely agree. i counted 11 imports who have just come to the school in the last 2 years.. and thats not counting the 2nds who have roughly the same amount.. it is without doubt that this schools actions have ruined the inaugural GPS competition, that is for the years that they have indeed won, and it will be just be the same story come next year even though i believe they wont win it. without their imports, there is no way they could in any way stand a chance against the likes of view, and particularly joeys who have been hard done by particularly the newington team. the likes of oscar pryor lees, rohan o'reagan, matt hood and willie ahosivi are amoungst the obvious non-scholarship boys, and these players are by no means stand outs in any form, and on their own would not stand a chance against other GPS teams.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
completely agree. i counted 11 imports who have just come to the school in the last 2 years.. and thats not counting the 2nds who have roughly the same amount.. it is without doubt that this schools actions have ruined the inaugural GPS competition, that is for the years that they have indeed won, and it will be just be the same story come next year even though i believe they wont win it. without their imports, there is no way they could in any way stand a chance against the likes of view, and particularly joeys who have been hard done by particularly the newington team. the likes of oscar pryor lees, rohan o'reagan, matt hood and willie ahosivi are amoungst the obvious non-scholarship boys, and these players are by no means stand outs in any form, and on their own would not stand a chance against other GPS teams.
Leave it be Gentlemen, Kicking a dead dog only serves yourself. Look forward with eagerness, not reflect with an angst that will annoy the shit out of you for however long you wish to carry it. If you have to, take it to the scholarship thread where the same dead dog will get the shit kicked out of him again!

mark7

Stan Wickham (3)
After watching may a game this year, I have decided to throw up a completely positive look on players I will continue to follow, such was their impression upon me. Every thing I mention is in the positive. Please add as you see fit.

The WESTLAKE 1st XV (As I saw them play :))

1. Robertson SJC - Daylight 2nd in this position. Plenty will come on, but Piggy has taken this possie to a new level. Humble too.

2. Carolan - SJC - the unlucky one. Didn't make Aus Schoolboys, but probably my first picked. Mobile, fast and can cover THP in a blink. Can play. Fitzpatrick from Shore was very mobile as well. Vea -N as my back up.

3. Sandell - SJC. This young man has taken THP to a totally different strata. Charges down kicks, links in with the inside backs, does the dirty work. Probably cuts the oranges at half time as well. New Breed. Strachan TKS as a solid back up, old style but a good no sh@t kind of player.

4. Cannell - NC, Buckling - Shore, Gorry - SGS. These men don't realise it just quite yet but they are bound to develop into the leaping lads! All good here.

5. Bartlett -SJC. Watching this young man and Cannell compete on THE worst day of GPS Rugby was worth it. Rorke SIC and Lee-Warner, whilst being great in areas of the game will develop into brilliant young players of the future. Can only see 6 on Rorkes back as he gets older and masters his game.

6. McCalman TKS - Big, strong with vision. Watch next year! Goldie SJC, Dempsey SIC and Chahoud NC get big honourable mentions in the pest brigade.

7. Kamp TSC - Annoying at every contest, great centre of balance. If he grows to a decent size he will go far in this game. Murphy SJC and Morris NC ensure that competition for the ball and the belting of flyhalfs won't diminish.

8. O'Donohue SJC - Never beaten all year and the clash between him and Whiteley was like 2 dogs fighting over the same bone. Whiteley as my second choice due to his injury.

9. Ferris TKS - Directed well behind a beaten pack. Knows when to take a quick scurry down the blind. Narrowly beating Pulver -Shore. This young man asks "Laces up or down ?" plays hard and can take the hit too. Both these men will have further honours

10. Horwitz TSC - Maestro. Single handedly and with purpose constructed some of the best backline moves I have seen. I will like to watch this man when he gets into grade. Lussick NC and Tulloch TKS are the next ones to shine.

11. Jones TKS - Best in and away of the U18's. Fast is the understatement of the year. Vlahos NC as my back up here. Every time I see this lad he is a yard faster and a couple of Kilos bigger.

12. Stewart TSC - The lead of the string section to Maestro Horwitz. Angles, lines,decoys or crash ball. Does it all with the greatest of ease. This means he busts his backside to look so good. Kay SJC and Davies Shore rate amongst their peers as well.

13. Foketi TKS and Moeroa NC - Pre injury Foketi for sheer evasiveness and Moeroa for other players wishing he had evasiveness rather than ploughing straight through them. I honestly can't split them. Redden SIC and Barclay SJC aren't shy on the toe either.

14. Wilde SJC - Speed. Speed. Speed. How many tries this man scored without being touched would surprise you and I. Milne NC as my back up. How many tries this man scored carrying a man on his back, around his leg and running over the last tackler would surprise you. Leg drive of a loose forward.

15. Kellaway TSC - I really don't know if he knows how fast he is. If he is chasing a winger, he will catch them. Big kick, safer than a Rio Tinto share. Genuine contender for my player of the year and, from all accounts, a fair bit humble too.

As I said in my preamble, only the positives please. These young men brought a lot of joy to Old Boys, Teachers, schoolmates and Supporters. Good luck to all the Year 12 men and i look forward to seeing the Year 11 gentlemen next year.

Im surprised not to see Randell (TKS) in your list or not even a mention. at No 6 or 7 but 7 more likley

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Im surprised not to see Randell (TKS) in your list or not even a mention. at No 6 or 7 but 7 more likley
Why? The young man has done nothing wrong in my eyes, but as I said, in all the games I have seen this year I found him to be beaten on quite a few occasions. Kamp TSC beat everybody to the ball this year and will only get better. In the SJC vs TKS game at Kings Murphy, Goldie, Watts and O'Donohue made his life hell. He was cautioned twice for infringements and if he wasn't the skipper may have had a little rest.
In saying this I like his fine line style of play. I am not sure about his injuries though. Two hand injuries through the year tend to tell me that he should battle the contests he can win. McCalman also assists as a good 6 should. Not too sure if Randall will get much bigger though.

S

Sydneybra

11 imports?? Oscar Pryor Lees, Will Ahosivi, Rohan O'Reagan, Olivier Damas, Ben Chahoud, Alan Latinipulu, Alex Vlahos, Ellis Abraham's and Matt Hood are all full paying students. That's 9 players not 4. You also said "the likes of oscar pryor lees, rohan o'reagan, matt hood and willie ahosivi are amoungst the obvious non-scholarship boys, and these players are by no means stand outs in any form". Are you joking?? All were in GPS teams and Matt Hood played for combined states in the national championships whilst Oscar Pryor Lees represented Australia in the Tonga test. Oscar was also the first boy to receive Triple colours, along with Lachlan Turner, since 1989 having played in the 1st XV for 3 years, Rowed in the 1st 8 for 2 years, was in the senior Athletics team for 2 years and n top of this was in representative GPS teams and crews for rowing and rugby.

R

random205

11 imports?? Oscar Pryor Lees, Will Ahosivi, Rohan O'Reagan, Olivier Damas, Ben Chahoud, Alan Latinipulu, Alex Vlahos, Ellis Abraham's and Matt Hood are all full paying students. That's 9 players not 4. You also said "the likes of oscar pryor lees, rohan o'reagan, matt hood and willie ahosivi are amoungst the obvious non-scholarship boys, and these players are by no means stand outs in any form". Are you joking?? All were in GPS teams and Matt Hood played for combined states in the national championships whilst Oscar Pryor Lees represented Australia in the Tonga test. Oscar was also the first boy to receive Triple colours, along with Lachlan Turner, since 1989 having played in the 1st XV for 3 years, Rowed in the 1st 8 for 2 years, was in the senior Athletics team for 2 years and n top of this was in representative GPS teams and crews for rowing and rugby.
hahaha rightio then mate, count 9 imports. ellis abraham is on a full scholarship and was brought in from newcastle in year 10. and as i quoted about opl, o'reagan, ahosivi, they are ridiculously overated and are not stand out players. yes they got selected for gps but in the 3rds or reserves which is not exactly spectacular. i agree that matt hood played for combined states and he is the only player out of that list that is actually a good player, but to say any of the others are good is a bit of a joke. oscar is not a deserved australian a schools player, he is only in there for his size, and as i have said multiple times before in my posts, size tends to get you very far at schoolboy level. i will be very surprised to see him next year in a high colts team or grade team as he will be singled out rightfully as players will have filled their sleeves just as he has done since year 10.

T

Tight head Lion

Best grounds. Joeys
Best canteen. Scots Cafe
Best pie. Shore
Best coffee. Shore
Best lunch spread for coaches. Shore
Best post game spread. Kings

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
hahaha rightio then mate, count 9 imports. ellis abraham is on a full scholarship and was brought in from newcastle in year 10. and as i quoted about opl, o'reagan, ahosivi, they are ridiculously overated and are not stand out players. yes they got selected for gps but in the 3rds or reserves which is not exactly spectacular. i agree that matt hood played for combined states and he is the only player out of that list that is actually a good player, but to say any of the others are good is a bit of a joke. oscar is not a deserved australian a schools player, he is only in there for his size, and as i have said multiple times before in my posts, size tends to get you very far at schoolboy level. i will be very surprised to see him next year in a high colts team or grade team as he will be singled out rightfully as players will have filled their sleeves just as he has done since year 10.

Random205 your post is reflecting how old you are. You should concentrate on your homework.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)

The guys you mention may be ridiculously over-rated by YOU - don't know what your credentials are to make such a statement so I'll respect your view. However - to use the old cliche - "a champion team will always beat a team of champions" and that is what these guys are - the Championship team! So just suck it up and have a good lie down - and have some respect for what these guys and their team have achieved.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Gristlechewer - Ground? SJC and then? Spectator viewing? Iggys. Parking ? TKS.

Ground - Tick - right on top of the hill and it drains well.
Viewing - Iggies? When it's not raining; otherwise you have to clean out to get a seat under cover.
Parking - Kings? Half right - after the park you have to get out of the ground and onto Cumberland Highway. Took me over 30 minutes a couple of weeks ago, but at least I had a book with me. Been there before.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PS- B Westlake that was a good team. Some people might have thought that you were selecting the best players including from rep games and what they did last year. You were selecting them on GPS games and I agree with most of your picks because I also watched all the Joeys games this year.

Others saw other teams players every week and you can understand why they could have a different opinion.

I'm glad that I am not the only one who reckons 2. Carolan is underrated. I think this lad is going to be a good senior player as he is going to be big enough and he has all the attributes of the position - and can switch to THP at the drop of a hat.

The Joeys front row this year is the best I can remember from any school, ever. 1. Robertson has a big future and he will be in the right stable at Sydney Uni to bring the best out of him. 3. Sandell? I would rather comment in 2013 when he is in year 12, but getting in an Oz Schools touring team as a THP in Yr.11 speaks for itself.

Agree with the remarks on Kellaway. I said last year that he looks like a young Matt Burke at the same age and the more I see of him the less I am willing to change my mind.

Agree also on Horwitz.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)

just an interesting query, as a newington supporter I'm interested in knowing how many 1st XV players that have been at the school since year 7 are in each individual GPS 1st XV, looking at the team lists there seems to be 3 or 4 in the Newington team, what about the other schools??

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The last Triple Colour winner at New before Lachie Turner was actually Jason Reilly in 1988. A Champion Swimmer, rugby player, athlete (shot put and sprints) and rower (rowed in Winning VIII). He was 105kgs and still ran the 100 in just over 10.5s. He ended up playing for the Qld Reds and in the Varsity Match for Cambridge and is now Rugby Master at Canberra Grammar.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
AAGPS 2012 rugby season is over. The Premiership has been settled. Time for an end of season review and to consider the all important annual award nominations:

Best BBQ
Considerations: Speed of service, quality of food, banter in the queue, product range, price, quality of cooking, quality of onions, condiment range, user friendliness of condiments, Bread vs Rolls, Operating hours, location of BBQ.

Best Canteen
Considerations: Speed of service, quality and range of products, banter in the queue, prices, coldness of drinks, customer service, operating hours.

Best Pie
Considerations: Taste, Filling Hotness (Tongue burner, Just right - Easily scoffable, tepid, cold), Sauces, basicness (minus points for gourmet fillings, it is a meat pie), price.

Best Coffee
Considerations: Price, Speed of Service, Barista, Ability to not laugh at an order of a 1/2 decaf, skinny soy vanilla machiato late in a large cup.

Best Afternoon Tea
Considerations: Quantity, Weather appropriateness - Hot food on a cold wet day etc, Quantity, Range, Speedy access, Quantity, Seconds, Quantity.

Best Programme
Considerations: Content, layout and ease of reading, accuracy, quantity available, locations where available.

Best Dressed Ovals
Considerations: Grass cover, Line markings, roping, Flags, Goal post pads, goal post height, Changing sheds access and set up, spectator viewing, car parking, wet weather/windy weather protection, drainage, warm up space.

Best First Aid
Considerations: Knowledge, speed of response, medical supplies, ambulance access, quantity of responders, location of First Aid Tent.

Best Bathrooms
Considerations: Cleanliness, Smell, lighting, Quantity, Distance, directional signage, ease of access for the less mobile.

Feel free to nominate a school/venue in one or many categories.
Should there also be a "best looking helpers" criteria for best BBQ and best canteen. If so, I nominate Scots. Can't beat the sight an Eastern suburbs milf to warm your cockles on a blustery Sydney morning

W

Wowsah

Perhaps you need to work on your reading and comprehension skills and your mathematics too. There were 9 non-scholarship players listed which would result in at best 6 scholarship players (probably less) in the 1st XV. Having established that, Look at the schools reps from other schools, you don't whine about them because they didn't threaten. Scholarship players will not increase your chances of a premiership in the current comp. Look at Shore, a hugely competitive team that almost knocked Newington off.

Nobody here agrees with you so move on. I am quite sure that not one person who has followed season 2012 begrudges Newingtons fantastic success. Afterall, by your own words a team made up of a majority of very average players (OPL et al) won the comp!

S

Sydneybra

Ellis played inside centre in 2010 alongside Tepai when he was in year 9 I remember watching almost all their games... He has been there since year 9. Oscar will keep getting bigger, all the talk about him only being good is kind of funny because size is a huge factor in rugby... I don't think, come a few years, there will be many men the size of Oscar in Colts and possibly the Shute Shield

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
So who knows what height/weight OPL actually is? I know he's huge for a school boy but to say there won't be men his size in Colts/ SS got me wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.