• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggameplayer

Stan Wickham (3)
So are you saying by implication that no new players have turned up at Kings in year 11 (or year 10) in recent years?

Also out of interest, how many of the players who have played in Kings 1sts this year started at Kings in the Kings prep school?

gpsoldboy, I would like to begin by saying that I have no connection to The Kings School whatsoever, and are well aware of the recruitment drive they have had in recent years. Therefore, I am unable to answer the last of your two questions. I was simply highlighting that its hard to fathom that within the space of two years a team can go from consistently beating the likes of Newington, to being on the receiving end of a 50 point thrashing.

I would hate to think that if some of these schools continued such 'unsustainable practices', it would become an all out arms race. What if a boy were offered a scholarship to both Scots and Newington, or Riverview and Joeys. It is pretty hard to separate these schools, if you have little or no affiliation to the GPS. Schools will then start to offer 'sweetners' - thats when we know its gone all to far.

I for one are sick and tired of people trying to defend the actions of some schools. I watched Joeys 2nd XV put Newington to the slaughter in 2010, only to watch the reverse result in the 1s. From a marketing perspective, a winning First XV is great. But to develop the game itself, it has to start at the bottom...not in Year 11 or 12.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Very surprised that loosing just two players would have such a detrimental effect, surely Kings had the depth to cover for these two. This is not League where if you loose a key playmaker then the whole season can go to s*it.

There are actually 6 players "missing" from King's 2011 16As team - putting things in perspective that's 40% of the team!!

1. Lucas Bateman
2. Nick Reid
3. Eddie Jin(year 12 last year)
4. Matt Matson (year 12 last year)
5. Jamie Greentree
6. Rob Black (unavailable due to selection in Australian U19 rowing team)
7. Jack MaCalman
8. Ben Stacy
9. Rory Davis
10. Corey Tulloch
11. Oly Martin
12. Sam Carter (no longer at Kings)
13. Tom Bucknell
14. John Robertson (no longer at Kings)
15. Harry Jones (no longer at Kings)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Also out of interest, how many of the players who have played in Kings 1sts this year started at Kings in the Kings prep school?

I know of at least 2 and there may be another - probably more than any other school including Shore.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Should kids who are at an AAGPS school in breach of the "no scholarship" clause in the AAGPS charter be allowed to represent the AAGPS in representative rugby?

I would have thought that a stand on this may stamp out non-compliances rather quickly.

The Heads of Schools may not be able to influence what happens inside other individual schools, but if they allow scholarship boys to be selected for AAGPS Representative Teams, are they in breach of the same charter that they accuse others of breaching?

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
There are actually 6 players "missing" from King's 2011 16As team - putting things in perspective that's 40% of the team!!

1. Lucas Bateman
2. Nick Reid
5. Jamie Greentree
7. Jack MaCalman
8. Ben Stacy
9. Rory Davis
10. Corey Tulloch
11. Oly Martin
13. Tom Bucknell

Welcome Back CTPE! :). I note your comments after Saturday's game and GPS selections WRT MaCalman , Davis et al! You know that I am a big fan of Davis from previous posts and I am personally disappointed for him this year.

I think that the first two games have demonstrated that it is always going to be difficult to "shine" when your pack is marching backwards! Particularly in Davis's case. I agree with one other poster who said that if you put Davis behind the GPS pack he would be a stand out!

MaCalman had little opportunity in a beaten pack and aside from a few petulant outbursts borne from frustration he had little impact on the game. Hard to fault selectors when picking the form backrow - at least this may mean that they are picking on form and not reputation! How did MaCalman, Morris, Crighton, Dunbar etc. go on Tuesday

What has been the impact of the red card handed to Tulloch? Saw he was selected in GPS III's for Friday so hopefully all OK?

Cheers, Wreckless :)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
gpsoldboy, I would like to begin by saying that I have no connection to The Kings School whatsoever, and are well aware of the recruitment drive they have had in recent years.

Your use of the words "the recruitment drive they have had in recent years' is a major overstatement. A stat that will no doubt surprise you and some of the other posters on this thread - of the 19 boys who have started for Kings 1sts this year in their two trials and two GPS games:
  • 2 at least started at the school in the Prep,
  • 10 started in year 7 and
  • 3 started in year 8.
I'd love to compare this with Joeys, Riverview and even Shore!

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Should kids who are at an AAGPS school in breach of the "no scholarship" clause in the AAGPS charter be allowed to represent the AAGPS in representative rugby?

I would have thought that a stand on this may stamp out non-compliances rather quickly.

The Heads of Schools may not be able to influence what happens inside other individual schools, but if they allow scholarship boys to be selected for AAGPS Representative Teams, are they in breach of the same charter that they accuse others of breaching?
Absolutely - by selecting them the AAGPS is at best adopting a Sgt Shultz defence and at worst is completely condoning the practice. The counterargument is how do they set a criteria for exclusion that captures all the scholars and not some of the innocent. I would just start with the boys playing professional league.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)

1. Lucas Bateman
2. Nick Reid
5. Jamie Greentree
7. Jack MaCalman
8. Ben Stacy
9. Rory Davis
10. Corey Tulloch
11. Oly Martin
13. Tom Bucknell
where did the 'no longer at King's'people go?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
How did MaCalman, Morris, Crighton, Dunbar etc. go on Tuesday

What has been the impact of the red card handed to Tulloch? Saw he was selected in GPS III's for Friday so hopefully all OK?

Cheers, Wreckless :)

McCalman was MOM apparently in GPS II's on Tuesday - Tulloch is playing tomorrow.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Your use of the words "the recruitment drive they have had in recent years' is a major overstatement. A stat that will no doubt surprise you and some of the other posters on this thread - of the 19 boys who have started for Kings 1sts this year in their two trials and two GPS games:
  • 3 started in year 8.
Another for the scholarship thread?

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
  • 3 started in year 8.

My boys started in year 9 due to financial constraints...does that mean they are not true representatives of their school and should not play in the higher teams? There are many reasons for boys only going to these schools in later years so do not tar all with the same brush. There are also many outside organisations that support these "scholarships" for their own reasons (League, Aussie rules etc have all given financial support to put some students through school)

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
where did the 'no longer at King's'people go?

To my (limited ) knowledge Sam Carter took on an apprenticeship and left school last year.

From reports I hear that Harry Jones is doing well at Barker and representing their Association at representative level after falling out of favour at TKS for having the temerity to play for his club side Newport in last years Sunday Open A's comp!

Good Luck to both of them! Wreckless :)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
My boys started in year 9 due to financial constraints.does that mean they are not true representatives of their school and should not play in the higher teams? There are many reasons for boys only going to these schools in later years so do not tar all with the same brush. There are also many outside organisations that support these "scholarships" for their own reasons (League, Aussie rules etc have all given financial support to put some students through school)

Lots of boys start late at GPS schools due to financial constraints - that is well understood. I know a number of old boys who would've liked to have started their sons at their old school at year 7 level or earlier but financially it wasn't possible. If you read my post carefully though you'll note that it was made to deflate biggameplayer's statement about King's recruitment drive.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
back to actual Rugby discussion. Apart from the New v Trinity (curtain raiser) game this weekend are any other GPS schools playing?

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
back to actual Rugby discussion. Apart from the New v Trinity (curtain raiser) game this weekend are any other GPS schools playing?

As far as I know there is no Newington vs. Trinity this weekend. I understand that this game will be played as the curtain raiser for the Waratahs - Reds game at ANZ Stadium on July 13! If this is the case - what a thrill for the boys from both schools!!! :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As far as I know there is no Newington vs. Trinity this weekend. I understand that this game will be played as the curtain raiser for the Waratahs - Reds game at ANZ Stadium on July 13! If this is the case - what a thrill for the boys from both schools!!! :)
Based on a flier I saw on Facebook this is spot on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
  • 3 started in year 8.
That's a great representation for Kings. I got hold of the program from the joeys-view game. Riverview list the teams that all their firsts have played in on the way through the school. According to that they have 5 from the junior school, 6 from year 7, 2 from year 8, 1 from year 10, and one from year 11...pretty impressive. In the 2 XV list there are plenty of boys that have come up from teams as low as the E's... Just goes to show if you stick at it, you can still succeed....

Status
Not open for further replies.