• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well as we are half way through the season i think it is time to sort out pretenders and the contenders.

1st XV Pretenders: 1. Shore- trying hard but don't have the quality
2. Kings- Haven't lived up to expectation
3. Joeys - Unfortunately another season for the brothers to not have success.

These pretenders have no chance of winning

Contenders: 1. Scots - Undeafeted and looking great to win the comp big game against newington coming up though.
2. Newington - Slightly disappointing really haven't quite clicked yet but still a great chance to win it.
3. Riverview - I still rate Riverview a slight chance, need results to go their way though. but i think next year might be there year

2nd XV Pretenders: 1. Scots
2. Kings
3. Shore

Contenders: 1. Joeys: Looking strong this year going to be hard to reel in at this point.
2. Newington: very unlucky against joeys will rate their chances.
3. Riverview - Their loss to shore really hurt their chances but if they go undefeated from here on in they give themselves every chance of winning it.
Based on results so far, how do you have Riverview ahead of Joeys in 1sts?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Because they beat them???? And they are only four points behind scots? Joeys are six behind?
New beat View by 17, Scots beat View by 33 while New beat Joeys by 10 and Scots beat Joeys by 3.

Interesting that you see Riverview as a contender and Joeys as a pretender on those scores. Can't see either of them winning it.

robbo

Frank Row (1)
Monumental balls up from the referee to rob Joeys of an upset win. I must admit, I do have a soft spot for the cerise and blue but I have never seen a game changer like this one.

Right in front of me in the north western corner, joeys scrum, scots put on a brilliant shove, joeys TH and hooker both in the air, scots LH and hooker standing upright all with heads out, referee allows play to continue...... ball pops out and scots score in the corner.

Good scrum from scots but one of the most obvious free kicks for dangerous play I have seen. Unfortunately schoolboy referees are not made accountable for their decisions because this xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can understand if a referee misses something because they didn't see it, but when you're standing 2m from the scrum there is not much else to look at. If he missed it, he xxxxxxxxxxxx should not be refereeing after 1pm, if he saw it and did not blow it up he is a xxxxxxxxx.

Where is the duty of care???

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Saw a penalty given today against a halfback of the side not throwing in a ball to a lineout for yelling at the player throwing in the ball.
This is a trend in kids' games I have noticed this year. I have seen players from the non throwing team in all forward positions do it.

Remember one school taking this approach back in the day, yelling over the top so lineout calls could not be heard and no action by the home school ref.

Thinking that this was not right, our teacher in charge of ref's was question as to the legality of this. He said he would penalise it under the unsportsman like behaviour provisions whatever law that was back then. So it has been knocked on the head before.

Given also this was the in pre yellow and red card days, dissent saw you marched ten. I also remember the same said teacher had once marched a home team coast to coast.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
robbo

The ref had a good game but like players he can make the odd mistake.

I have a photo of the scrum in a blog now and folks can make up their own minds, but whatever, get over it.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/nsw-gps-round-5-match-reports/2/

I have moderated your final remarks as being inflammatory.

robbo - Since that was your first post I gave you the benefit of the doubt and you don't go to the bin for a week – but no more remarks like that thank you otherwise you won't last long in the forum.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting re the pre red card days ... Playing against 14 or 13 is very harsh .... And while agree foul play has no place ... I have seen refs doing their job, sending players from the field .... And often there was no malice, no harm done, and with my independent eye it was accidental

Anyway, I reckon if they have to be sent, then they should be replaced, with a 2nd stringer .... I mean look at some of the recent dramas , and results being influenced by a stay punch to a thigh, an upended player ... It leaves too much anxst ... If that is the word

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
New beat View by 17, Scots beat View by 33 while New beat Joeys by 10 and Scots beat Joeys by 3.

Interesting that you see Riverview as a contender and Joeys as a pretender on those scores. Can't see either of them winning it.
Well for view to be classified a contender is because they have had 3 wins and two losses and while it would be amazing it is possible for them to win. They would need to go undefeated from here and newington would have to beat scots. Highly unlikely so as i sad they have a slight chance.
Joeys on the other hand are classified 'pretenders' because they would need to go undefeated and beat three teams in which they lost to in the earlier rounds and have scots lose two games

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting re the pre red card days . Playing against 14 or 13 is very harsh .. And while agree foul play has no place . I have seen refs doing their job, sending players from the field .. And often there was no malice, no harm done, and with my independent eye it was accidental

Anyway, I reckon if they have to be sent, then they should be replaced, with a 2nd stringer .. I mean look at some of the recent dramas , and results being influenced by a stay punch to a thigh, an upended player . It leaves too much anxst . If that is the word

If you replace the player then you are leaving the game open to abuse. A 2nd grader can go out and take out the best player on the other side and then be replaced by a better player.
I also have trouble with the amount of referee questioning going on. A referee has to go out and run around and concentrate for 80 minutes while spectators don't but 'cherrypick' any mistakes he might make. If he makes one mistake then that is all that is talked about (usually by the losing side who have to blame someone), not the many good decisions he may have made during the game

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Interesting that you see Riverview as a contender and Joeys as a pretender on those scores.

Perhaps because View beat Joeys and is ahead on the table accordingly.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Monumental balls up from the referee to rob Joeys of an upset win. I must admit, I do have a soft spot for the cerise and blue but I have never seen a game changer like this one.

Right in front of me in the north western corner, joeys scrum, scots put on a brilliant shove, joeys TH and hooker both in the air, scots LH and hooker standing upright all with heads out, referee allows play to continue.. ball pops out and scots score in the corner.

Good scrum from scots but one of the most obvious free kicks for dangerous play I have seen. Unfortunately schoolboy referees are not made accountable for their decisions because this xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can understand if a referee misses something because they didn't see it, but when you're standing 2m from the scrum there is not much else to look at. If he missed it, he xxxxxxxxxxxx should not be refereeing after 1pm, if he saw it and did not blow it up he is a xxxxxxxxx.

I think that Refs are independently allocated by NSWRU and are usually fairly senior and experienced for 1st XV games

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Interesting re the pre red card days . Playing against 14 or 13 is very harsh .. And while agree foul play has no place . I have seen refs doing their job, sending players from the field .. And often there was no malice, no harm done, and with my independent eye it was accidental

Anyway, I reckon if they have to be sent, then they should be replaced, with a 2nd stringer .. I mean look at some of the recent dramas , and results being influenced by a stay punch to a thigh, an upended player . It leaves too much anxst . If that is the word

The reason it got changed is because players would be cynical in their own red zone, and the yellow card would be useless because they would get another player on. The drop a player for yellow/red card in schoolboy matches only came around in 2009 - prior to that you did get a replacement.

If a team mate is stupid enough to do something to warrant a red card, the team deserves to be with less players, and will teach the player a very valuable lesson. If it is accidental (I'm thinking that you are talking about tip tackles) - the ARU has set a standard that if a player is taken past the horizontal and lands on the head/neck region - bad luck it's red card no questions asked. It may seem harsh but the ARU are desperate to eliminate it from the game and that is the approach they are taking.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)

Right in front of me in the north western corner, joeys scrum, scots put on a brilliant shove, joeys TH and hooker both in the air, scots LH and hooker standing upright all with heads out, referee allows play to continue.. ball pops out and scots score in the corner.

So why didn't the timekeeper just let the clock run longer to allow a Joeys victory. Worked a dream in previous years.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
With respect that doesn't make them a contender, it just means they're ahead of Joeys. I didn't say Joeys were a contender either. Riverview have lost by a significant margin to Newington and by quite a big margin to Scots. To win it they would need to reverse both and beat Joeys at Hunters Hill (not at 11am) and still need Scots to lose another game. I would say that there are only 2 schools with a reasonable as opposed to a mathematical chance of winning.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well for view to be classified a contender is because they have had 3 wins and two losses and while it would be amazing it is possible for them to win. They would need to go undefeated from here and newington would have to beat scots. Highly unlikely so as i sad they have a slight chance.
Joeys on the other hand are classified 'pretenders' because they would need to go undefeated and beat three teams in which they lost to in the earlier rounds and have scots lose two games
I never said that Joeys were a contender, just that Riverview weren't.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Only half way through the season. Pretender or contender might be down to how smart the coaches are in their analysis for the rematches. Maybe even in how they might protect their key players. Strategies anyone?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The post to which you responded needs to be read in context with post #2823. The post was seeking views as to who were the contenders to take out the title.

If we are just relying on the maths of it, then noone will have a different opinion. Based on what has occured on the field, I don't think Riverview are still contenders for this years firsts. I wasn't talkng about position on the competition ladder, because that is self-evident and doesn't require an opinion. I'll happily concede that Riverview are 2 points ahead of Joeys on the competition table and also that mathematically they have a better chance. I wasn't saying that Joeys were realistic contenders either - although I'd suggest that they have more chance of winning their next 5 games that Riverview do.

My point being, having a mathematical possiblity of winning is a vastly different concept to being a realistic contender. But this is just an opinion.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sorry - I was just responding to your quote without reading the other stuff.

Just something to do.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
just interested to know how many year 11 boys played in each respective 1st XV team on the weekend? I know New played with 3 or 4 and Shore played with 7 or 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.