• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
One of the areas of interest is determining whether Newington or other schools that offer scholarships actually get any other benefit from their athletes such as school life, leadership in the classroom etc.

A case in point is that many of the US colleges expect there student athletes also to do well in class. Some even demand a 3.5 point grade average (70%) in every subject to maintain your scholarship. Although the movie "Coach Carter" was based on fact it is not isolated.

In respect to Newington, where less than 1/2 of the 2012 1st XV team are offered places in tertiary education then I wonder where the benefits are. Maybe the athletes need to be at this privileged school for 6 years to get whole of education benefits, not just 2 years?

Holistic education. Not everyone wants to be an underemployed law graduate. Nothing wrong with a trade.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Piggies v Princesses (2012)
Here is the final score of Year 12 1st XV players in 2012 between the piggies and princesses based on the published University Place Offers and the corresponding course cut-off ATAR!

1.4 summary.jpg

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Holistic education. Not everyone wants to be an underemployed law graduate. Nothing wrong with a trade.
Totally agree, nothing wrong with an educated "tradie". Are you saying that a good tradie is not one who excels in the classroom as well as the sports field?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
No I'm simply suggesting that not all students have any desire to go to Uni and no longer apply for an ATAR. Therefore published results dont mean alot in the scheme of things.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It would be interesting to see how the percentages for the 1st XV compared with the rest of each school.
A concern of mine is that schools accept less than full effort from their gifted sportsmen: for instance, I have heard at one school that they are "excused" from study time at boarding schools when the rest of the school is expected to study.
However these kids come to be at the school this is selling them short and not giving them all they could get from the school.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Happy NY to all fellow bloggers.I am off the beach given this weather and thought I'd have a look at the season past and ahead.

Out of interest I looked at how each 2012 team did in the HSC!! Here is some interesting and useless facts:

View attachment 3174
View attachment 3175

Top Performers in the classroom:
View attachment 3176

Strange that neither Calum Buckling or Angus Pulver are on the list of 18 Shore boys that made the All Round Achievers list despite having ATARs of 99.70. Pretty sure that USyd don't credit bonus points towards combined law either.

Same applies to Jackson Watts and Alex Newsome not appearing on Joeys list of 6 All Round Achievers despite their respective 99.50s??

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Strange that neither Calum Buckling or Angus Pulver are on the list of 18 Shore boys that made the All Round Achievers list despite having ATARs of 99.70. Pretty sure that USyd don't credit bonus points towards combined law either.

Same applies to Jackson Watts and Alex Newsome not appearing on Joeys list of 6 All Round Achievers despite their respective 99.50s??

The players marks arent their actual ranking, its the cut off mark for the course they are in. Bonus points and scholarships could have bumped up a few rankings, theres also a few who have dropped down as the cut off mark for their course was lower than their actual ranking.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
The players marks arent their actual ranking, its the cut off mark for the course they are in. Bonus points and scholarships could have bumped up a few rankings, theres also a few who have dropped down as the cut off mark for their course was lower than their actual ranking.
Correct Random2. The most a student would be granted is 5 additional points for representing their State or Country (compensating for the Aust Schoolboys being on tour for the immediate period prior to the HSC exams). The awarding of additional points, is as you say, dependent upon the institution and course being applied for. However it serves no one if a student only starts a course through additional points but do not have the capacity to succeed in that course.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)

With Jackson & Alex being offered B Vet Sc places the cut-off ATAR was not published so I had to use a prior year cut-off for this course. Same with Jashua Kay who is doing B Bus (Sports Mgt) where the cut-off was not published. All these lads are from Joeys. Not sure the actual marks that Callum and Angus achieved but I do know that Calum is from a high achieving bright family (his sister also was in the 99s raw score and represented Australia in waterpolo during her HSC year)!

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)

That was understood from the info GS provided but my understanding was also that the USyd Bonus Points program for Elite Athletes did not apply to its Combined Law and other very high end ATAR courses but it appears that it does so I can now appreciate how the boys in question did not get into their schools All Round Achievers list but were still offered places in these courses.

http://sydney.edu.au/current_students/student_administration/admissions/eaps.shtml

biggameplayer

Stan Wickham (3)
Just a few quick things with respect to the HSC results. I may be wrong, but I am adamant that Jack Watts (#8) from Joeys did not have any plans to attend university. Perhaps, there is another J Watts floating around NSW. Secondly with regard to the cut-offs, for almost every course in NSW excluding Medicine at most institutions bonus points for elite performers and athletes apply. At USYD they do not release the ATAR cut-off for the Bachelor of Vet Studies, this is because students gain entrance on an individual basis, whereby their ATAR, STAT test results and background are taken into account. As a general guideline, granted a student receives strong STAT results the ATAR guideline is approximately 96-97, however it would be possible to gain entrance into this course with a lower ATAR, with the help of elite athlete bonus points. Also, Jack Redden*** was the outside centre from Riverview, I'm not sure that was a typo, of whether you used that spelling 'GS' to find his results.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Just a few quick things with respect to the HSC results. I may be wrong, but I am adamant that Jack Watts (#8) from Joeys did not have any plans to attend university. Perhaps, there is another J Watts floating around NSW. Secondly with regard to the cut-offs, for almost every course in NSW excluding Medicine at most institutions bonus points for elite performers and athletes apply. At USYD they do not release the ATAR cut-off for the Bachelor of Vet Studies, this is because students gain entrance on an individual basis, whereby their ATAR, STAT test results and background are taken into account. As a general guideline, granted a student receives strong STAT results the ATAR guideline is approximately 96-97, however it would be possible to gain entrance into this course with a lower ATAR, with the help of elite athlete bonus points. Also, Jack Redden*** was the outside centre from Riverview, I'm not sure that was a typo, of whether you used that spelling 'GS' to find his results.
Jackson is going for his 2nd preference @UTS inEarly Childhood and paediatric nursing . Good luck to the young man

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Totally agree, nothing wrong with an educated "tradie". Are you saying that a good tradie is not one who excels in the classroom as well as the sports field?
Plus that GS, there is that time honoured adage regarding "The Tradies get The Ladies"
Mrs Westlake is particularly fond of builders and electricians. Thanks for the love :) x

Playmaker

Frank Nicholson (4)
Educated rugby playing boys coming out of the GPS system, a true testament to the balance, finesse and poise that "Ra Ra" players exhibit through their off-field behaviour when compared to their league counterparts

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Playmaker obviously wasn't at the View v Joey's game a couple of years ago. More elitist crap. All league players grow up to be moron thugs I think would be one of his beliefs. Read George Smiths book and you'll find that some of the cleanskins aren't always as they appear. Anyway enjoy your opinion I'm sure many others under the age of 17 agree with you.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Playmaker obviously wasn't at the View v Joey's game a couple of years ago. More elitist crap. All league players grow up to be moron thugs I think would be one of his beliefs. Read George Smiths book and you'll find that some of the cleanskins aren't always as they appear. Anyway enjoy your opinion I'm sure many others under the age of 17 agree with you.
Thanks for the plug "Lily" but for the record although BBHS was a beneficial experience to me I really enjoyed my time with the "private school boys" at the Brumbies where we had some great fun (and a few successes) much to the chagrin of those who stayed closer to home!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well done Lilly: I read it and thought I'd have a go but I couldn't be bothered turning my mind to the issues that have emerged from time to time.
It also seems to forget that the AAGPS head of the river used to be in the afternoon...until it was moved to the morning to keep the old boys away, the drinking down and consequent atrocities to a minimum.
Glass houses. Stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.