• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
GPSrow's 1sts GPS Pick.

Based purely on game analysis, previous representatives teams and form from the 1st Round of the GPS competition

1. Doug Streeter (Shore)
2. Hosea Fotakuva (View)
3. Matt Sandell (c) (Joeys)
4. Ned Hanigan (Joeys)
5. Lachie Cannell (Newington)
6. Olly Kamp (Scots)
7. Jack McCalman (Kings)
8. Angus Critchon (Scots)
9. Joey Lussick (Newington)
10. Andrew Deegan (Joeys)
11. Tim McCutchinson (Joeys)
12. Tanne Milne (Newington)
13. Tepai Moerea (Newington)
14. Josh Mitchell (Newington)
15. Andrew Kellaway (vc) (Scots)

Newington - 5
Joeys - 4
Scots - 3
Kings - 1
View - 1
Shore - 1

No bias intended.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
GPSrow's 1sts GPS Pick.

Newington - 5
Joeys - 4
Scots - 3
Kings - 1
View - 1
Shore - 1

No bias intended.

I don't think this is unduly biased GPSrow. Most other contributors have posted teams with 4 from Newington - you have added Josh Mitchell, which is fair enough IMO based on his current form and his game last weekend at View. I haven't seen a lot of the other contenders though - good to see strong competition for places. Cheers, Wreckless :)

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
GPS 1st XV
1. Doug Streeter (Shore)
2. Hosea Fotakuva (View)
4. Ned Hanigan (Joeys)
6. Olly Kamp (Scots)
7. Jack McCalman (vc) (Kings)
11. Sam Mete (View)
12. Will Davies (King)
14. Taane Milne (Newington)
15. Andrew Kellaway (Scots)

GPS 2nd XV
1. Nathan Kelly (View)
2. ???
3. Vunipola Fifita (Newington)
4. Ben Stacy (Kings)
5. Hamish Murray (Scots)
6. Hamish Dunbar (Scots)
7. Jum Woodhill (Shore)
8. David Morris (Newington)
9. Mike Kennedy (View)/ Rory Davis (Kings)
10. Corey Tulloch (Kings)
11. Henry Hutchison (View)/ Josh Mitchell (Newington)
12. Tom Molloy (View)
13. Ben Starkey (Scots)
14. Bill Freeman (View)/Tim McCutchinson(Joeys)
15. Nic Clancy (Shore)

Totals:
Newington - 7
Joeys - 4
Scots - 6
Kings - 5
View - 7
Shore - 3

No Bias intended

main event

Stan Wickham (3)
Not sure about Hamish Murray from Scots as he played 3rds number 8 on the weekend so i doubt his selection. Jono Burke could fill the hooker spot in this seconds team. Scots wing Matt Craft should also be at least considered for seconds after running around Kings consistently on the weekend with considerable pace.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't know why folks are bothered by how many guys come from which school because it doesn't mean beans - well, maybe beans but not much else.

Any selectors that tot up the number of players from any school before they settle on a XV should not have the job.

They should be good enough to take the boy out of the school, notionally, and judge how he would play in a team of players who are strangers to each other.

What happens in practice though, or this used to be the case, is that you will get a pod of selectors for the front row, another for the backrow - and so on. They wouldn't know what players were picked in the other units of the team.

Is there anybody who knows what the current GPS selection practice is?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that it would be reasonable to expect the Schools at the top of the competition table to have slightly more representative players than average, and teams that haven't performed as well in terms of winning games typically should get fewer players in representative teams.

When there was a keyboard selectors GPS 1 published with 4 Kings boys and 2 Scots boys, it seemed to be somewhat at odds with the match result of Scots - Lots of Points, Kings - Not Many Points.

The Selection process (panels for groups, clipboards and checklists) is used by most selector teams (maybe not the Wobs! :)). I'd be surprised if the AAGPS selectors used a system that was vastly different from that described by Lee Grant.

Little chance to pursue personal and petty agendas regarding quotas etc.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think that it would be reasonable to expect the Schools at the top of the competition table to have slightly more representative players than average, and teams that haven't performed as well in terms of winning games typically should get fewer players in representative teams.

When there was a keyboard selectors GPS 1 published with 4 Kings boys and 2 Scots boys, it seemed to be somewhat at odds with the match result of Scots - Lots of Points, Kings - Not Many Points.

The Selection process (panels for groups, clipboards and checklists) is used by most selector teams (maybe not the Wobs! :)). I'd be surprised if the AAGPS selectors used a system that was vastly different from that described by Lee Grant.

Used to be that the schools nominated the kids they thought were worthy

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'd be surprised if the AAGPS selectors used a system that was vastly different from that described by Lee Grant.

That was the GPS procedure of about 6-7 years ago as told to me by a fellow who was a GPS selector then.

I asked the 2012 Oz Schools coach (and selector) Steve Philpotts, what was their process. He said they watched a couple of games at the National Championships in the way I described, but they also watched other games with a 15-man overall view.

Using that method enabled them to form a sound opinion of how a player performed in his specialty, and also how he contributed generally.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I suspect that they'd also pour over the videos at National Championships as well as getting the 15-man overall vibe.

Many AAGPS matches are recorded for later analysis. Wonder if these are made available to the selectors given the limited competition games prior to the selections being made.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Deegan mystifies me. he isn't even the best 10 at joeys. he is slow, ponderous, telegraphs his passes. someone must see something but i never have.

GPSGURU

Frank Row (1)
Cl
GPS Team
1. Doug Streeter (Shore)
2. Hosea Fotakuva (View)
4. Ned Hanigan (Joeys)
6. Olly Kamp (Scots)
7. Jack McCalluman (Kings)
11. Taane Milne (Newington)
12. Will Davis (Kings)
14. Sam Mete (View)
15. Andrew Kellaway (vc) (Scots)

Joeys - 3
View - 2
Newington - 4
Scots - 3
Kings - 2
Shore - 1

A few positions are tough to pick. Hooker could go to just about anyone but I've heard some wraps on Hossie over the past few weeks. The 6 jersey has a few options too including Dunbar (Scots) Morris (Newington) O'Brien (Joeys) and Woodhill (Shore) all of whom would do a great job if selected. Deegan at 10 I feel is right although it looks like Tulloch (Kings) will get it, Jack Clancy (Shore) is a fine 10 also. As stated before there is a lot of options for that extra wing spot, the Joeys pair of Robinson and McCutcheon have been in great form whilst the Scots winger (whose name I've forgotten) has been in great form I hear. No matter who is picked, I think they'll smash the CAS boys by about 30.

Clancy should definitely get the call up. He was outplayed Deegan again, in all areas and Tulloch looks out of shape.

main event

Stan Wickham (3)

A team of champions does not make a champion team. This is proven and a great example of this was the 2010 Kings side which failed to win the comp with around 6 Aus school boys in total. 3 of the 4 Kings boys I included were selected in NSW 2's last year, the other a stand out in Kings seconds behind a Aus schools half back so this is what I have based the majority of my selections off due to the lack of games this year.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
couldn't agree more Clancy was superb fast with hands and on his feet. he plays really direct and takes the hit when he has to. Deegan plays across field too much he passes too far from the line and just isn't quick enough to consistently trouble good defence. i saw joeys play a trial the week before with O'shea as first 10 and he was much sharper.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Unless I've missed it somewhere, I haven't really seen an explanation as to why Kings were beaten so badly on Saturday. Were Scots that good? It seems a big margin for so early in the season - you wouldn't think injuries were a factor. Pre-season, Kings supporters were reasonably confident of a good season. While there's a long way to go, a big loss in round one doesn't auger well for the year ahead.

GPSGURU

Frank Row (1)
couldn't agree more Clancy was superb fast with hands and on his feet. he plays really direct and takes the hit when he has to. Deegan plays across field too much he passes too far from the line and just isn't quick enough to consistently trouble good defence. i saw joeys play a trial the week before with O'shea as first 10 and he was much sharper.

I loved to see Clancy have a shot, but the politics of the GPS selectors have most likely pencilled Deegan in at 10. Even though personally, I think Deegan would be better at 15, rather than 10.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Deegan mystifies me. he isn't even the best 10 at joeys. he is slow, ponderous, telegraphs his passes. someone must see something but i never have.

yeh I know, I have added deegan to my 1sts GPS pick, but after hearing all the stir about him, i start to re-consider whether clancy or even Ellis Abrahams could be put in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.