• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This week's 3rds:
Armidale v St Ignatius
St Josephs v High
Grammar v Shore
Scots v Newington

On form so far you'd think the home teams would win each of these matches. Kings have the bye and Riverview, High, Shore and Newington are the bottom 4.

Any reports on how the travel is going in this competition and also when TAS, SGS & SHS As and Bs play the others Cs and Es?

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
I agree, he managed the game well with two sides that were going at each other quite hard for most of the game

Sorry guys - cannot agree with this! He did not manage the game well.

Edited

To finish - what I love about this forum and the considered opinions of the various contributors is the diversity of opinion and the willingness to put our views out there! We are never always going to agree, but don't let differing views mute robust discussion!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
On a slight tangent, did anyone see Dempsey and Horwitz play for the Tahs side in Argentina on the weekend. From the highlights package i got my mits on, Horwitz looked the goods!! And Dempsey held his own for a young bloke against some monsters. Great to see young school boys making the leap.

Horwitz played well against the Argies as I said in the Oz Barbarians tour thread – as he did for the Sydney National Academy team a couple of times at TG Millner this year. He's been good playing 1st Grade for Randwick, though playing a couple of games of running rugby in the mud a month ago did not bring out his best.

He and Jake McIntyre, both from 2012, have the best all-round games I've seen from Oz Schools flyhalves for a while and I was astonished that they left David out of the tour to Fiji and NZ last year - it was unaccountable - still is.

David has to improve his goal kicking and get good enough to get that gig for Randwick.

Dempsey played well in that Argie game as he did in the Under 20s but he is not going to be a big enough player to play in the backrow in Super Rugby unless it is at 7; so we have to watch him when he plays on the openside after he fills out a bit to judge him properly.

This is the problem with most schoolboy backrowers who want to play pro, but it's the other way around for second rowers. Most of them won't be big enough to play lock in pro rugby but just right to play 6 and sometimes 8 - often positions they play for their school team.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
LG, i agree completely regarding playing the man for the conditions. I didnt see much of the QLD half, but if it is a skinny squad going (and provided the ARU guys have no issue with the contracts that Joey has with the dark side), i wouldn't be apposed to seeing Lussick and Short rotate conditions depending.

They will take two scrummies on the European tour as they did in 2005 and 2009 (not three) and if I had the clipboard I would take Lussick and one of the others.

I wouldn't write off Sorovi either: he's good. He probably put a few noses out of joint in the Qld GPS when he leap-frogged the Southport boy to get the Oz Schools Ones gig from the AIC and the Qld IIs team.

As told to me by ASRU Chairman Br. Bob Wallace: the ASRU pay no regard to what code a player is playing after school which they did in the past and found to be counter-productive. Two of the selectors, Whitaker and Sutherland, are from the ARU, but the others are teachers who will follow the ASRU line.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
This week's 3rds:
Armidale v St Ignatius
St Josephs v High
Grammar v Shore
Scots v Newington

On form so far you'd think the home teams would win each of these matches. Kings have the bye and Riverview, High, Shore and Newington are the bottom 4.

Any reports on how the travel is going in this competition and also when TAS, SGS & SHS As and Bs play the others Cs and Es?

This is still a very open competition with no clear winner. If my maths is correct, four teams could still win. I only have the TAS draw. Next Saturday vis Iggies at Armidale, then Kings vs TAS at Armidale (Old Boys weekend), then TAS vs Scots at Scots followed by TAS vs Newies at Newies.

On the complaint about the decline in viewing audiences for the Firsts, that's been happening for a while. It's partly that there are more sports, partly that the Firsts are just less interesting. The Thirds is the only full GPS Rugby comp. It must be a thrill for some of the thirds, the previous ugly ducklings. When Kings thirds plays in Armidale, they will play in front of a crowd that matches in numbers and exceeds in atmosphere some of the Sydney Firsts games.

I am not saying that this is a good thing, although it has brought me back to GPS Rugby. I had given up any interest.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If the 23 remains as it is for the tour (assuming no changes), another 7 or so will get picked to go too. What positions and is anyone game enough to throw a name forward. Ill have first shot at one bloke who i think will be on the plane in one of the extra jupmers, Kamp from Scots has been nothing short of brilliant for the past few weeks and can cover all backrow spots, and the locks at a pinch

They will take 28 on tour to Europe and as I said in the Oz Schools thread: they will re-select the tour team after Oz Schools and Oz Schools A play against Fiji and NZ.

Folks shouldn't think: "Who are the five others they will choose from the Oz A team to add to the 23 already in the main team?"

Compared to now, and with a few injuries, it could be ten others, including fellows who missed the Oz Champs but couldn't displace players in the 46 because everybody was fit to play Fiji and NZ.

What they do in those two games will have bigger weight than what they did in the Oz Champs months before. Kamp, who is in Oz A, has every chance especially if he bends the line running the ball in those two games and does something other than being athletic with a big engine. They are all like that.

His performances against Newington in front of selector Tim Rapp will do no harm either.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
This is still a very open competition with no clear winner. If my maths is correct, four teams could still win. I only have the TAS draw. Next Saturday vis Iggies at Armidale, then Kings vs TAS at Armidale (Old Boys weekend), then TAS vs Scots at Scots followed by TAS vs Newies at Newies.

The Thirds is the only full GPS Rugby comp. It must be a thrill for some of the thirds, the previous ugly ducklings. When Kings thirds plays in Armidale, they will play in front of a crowd that matches in numbers and exceeds in atmosphere some of the Sydney Firsts games.

I am not saying that this is a good thing, although it has brought me back to GPS Rugby. I had given up any interest.

Hello JB,

The last three rounds of the 3XV comp should be as follows:

RD 7 24/08/2013
TAS V Kings
Riverview V Grammar
Joeys V Scots
Shore V Newington
SBH Bye

RD 8 31/08/2013
Kings V Joeys
Shore V Riverview
Scots V TAS
SBH V Grammar
Newington Bye

RD 9 07/09/2013
Grammar V Kings
Riverview V Joeys
Newington V TAS
Scots V SBH
Shore Bye

I know we have 4 rounds remaining however I feel that the draw against Grammar in RD 2 may have cost TAS a crack at the top spot. The match ups against Kings and Scots in RD's 7&8 will definitely test the boys as these will be the two hardest matches. How is Mr Frost performing these days?

Greg Robinson

Bob McCowan (2)

Kings scots tas and joeys have played the 'easier' teams in the earlier rounds while grammar had to play joeys tas and scots in their opening three rounds. Therefore these frontrunners will play each other a lot in the last rounds hopefully making for an exciting finish to the season!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
To finish - what I love about this forum and the considered opinions of the various contributors is the diversity of opinion and the willingness to put our views out there! We are never always going to agree, but don't let differing views mute robust discussion!

When the discussions turn nasty they will be muted - don't you worry - and it's always the same things: scholarships, rep selection bias, fights, refereeing decisions and anything about those matters that people saw, or thought they saw, or heard, or thought they heard - and someone objects to it.

There are certain topics that can't be talked about in moderation; so they are moderated. There are threads for rugby violence, refereeing decisions, selection bias and scholarships. It's a free country and people are free to discuss the matters in those threads in as robust a manner as they like so long as they are civil.

It is the mixing up these matters in a normal thread that is the problem, but when the matters are discussed in a separate dedicated thread people are as nice as pie.

Strange.

This method has one advantage. It works.

People who want to talk about these matters in a normal schools rugby thread are sometimes annoyed as they are most years, and will be next year.

All I can say to them is that it is what it is.

MrRugby37

Bob McCowan (2)

On the complaint about the decline in viewing audiences for the Firsts, that's been happening for a while. It's partly that there are more sports, partly that the Firsts are just less interesting. The Thirds is the only full GPS Rugby comp. It must be a thrill for some of the thirds, the previous ugly ducklings. When Kings thirds plays in Armidale, they will play in front of a crowd that matches in numbers and exceeds in atmosphere some of the Sydney Firsts games.

exceeds the firsts' games match attendance? I find that hard to believe for 2 reasons.. 1) I'm not sure if TAS even have enough space to host 3000+ people (which is the average) and 2) there will be little to none of the supporters from the visiting side, which should be making up half the crowd. It is a know fact that TAS publicise their wins in the local newspapers etc. as 'TAS beats Joeys!' or 'TAS wins over Riverview' without letting the public know that in fact it is a 1sts side playing a 3rds side... if teams are going to travel 8 hours to Armidale and lose, and full credit to the TAS team, but pay the host team the respect they deserve by noting that they are competing with a team 2 grades higher than themselves... just some food for thought.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
There are certain topics that can't be talked about in moderation; so they are moderated. There are threads for rugby violence, refereeing decisions, selection bias and scholarships. It's a free country and people are free to discuss the matters in those threads in as robust a manner as they like so long as they are civil.

Understood Lee! I'll "zap" it myself ( or at least "moderate" it! :) ).

Cheers, Wreckless

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
exceeds the firsts' games match attendance? I find that hard to believe for 2 reasons.. 1) I'm not sure if TAS even have enough space to host 3000+ people (which is the average) and 2) there will be little to none of the supporters from the visiting side, which should be making up half the crowd. It is a know fact that TAS publicise their wins in the local newspapers etc. as 'TAS beats Joeys!' or 'TAS wins over Riverview' without letting the public know that in fact it is a 1sts side playing a 3rds side. if teams are going to travel 8 hours to Armidale and lose, and full credit to the TAS team, but pay the host team the respect they deserve by noting that they are competing with a team 2 grades higher than themselves. just some food for thought.
Why?
Its literally true and no doubt serves TAS's purpose.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
Heard along the grape vine of a reformed lineup for Riverview against Joeys this weekend, with some very interesting changes that could cause a stir.

will be very interesting to see the 15's from both teams this week, i know everyone this early in the week will be keeping quite, as both camps this week are banking on a few big things to go there way, hearing the changes coming from the view camp are both interesting and questionable, i will post a view first 15 on thursday night

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Sorry to have upset you Mr Rugby37. As Inside Shoulder noted, the press reports would be literally true. However, its also the case that TAS doesn't seem to (and this is a frustration when I want the score because I live in Sydney) actually promote the games. Certainly neither the Express nor NDL provides regular coverage. I must ask the Express editor; I am the paper's history columnist.

In similar vein, I get frustrated that neither the TASOBU or School Facebook page actually provides results. The big Rugby coverage is in things like the very big carnivals that TAS hosts, TAS's role in promoting Rugby through the AIS or the SBHS annual visits.

You may be right about the numbers at Sydney First games, although I have been disappointed at the attendance. TAS backfield doesn't have a grandstand, I'm not sure the maximum number that would fit in round the field, but I don't think that it detracts from my other point about the Sydney thirds who occupy top billing that they would never otherwise get.

Jasdec, that draw was very helpful. I think that the TAS draw against SGS and then last week's loss makes their top chances unlikely. Still, we will know next Saturday. I don't have the full draw for Saturday, but TAS must beat Iggies to stay in the race.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Jasdec, that draw was very helpful. I think that the TAS draw against SGS and then last week's loss makes their top chances unlikely. Still, we will know next Saturday. I don't have the full draw for Saturday, but TAS must beat Iggies to stay in the race.
Scots, Joeys and Kings on top. Scots play winless Newington, Kings will get 2 pts for the bye and Joeys to play the inconsistent High. Unless some of the bottom 3 or 4 can spring a few upsets, it looks down to Kings and Scots with Joeys a rough chance.

If you go to the AAGPS website and click on rugby, you will find 2013 fixtures plus up to date competition tables for 1st, 2nd and 3rd XV.

Status
Not open for further replies.