• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Was that the #7 ?

I believe it was Jack Clancy ( 12 ) but don't quote me! I didn't catch his name and they all look so different in blazer and uniform compared to the rugby gear!!! Sorry - maybe someone from Shore could clarify? Cheers, Wreckless :)

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
Alright, it's time to talk one-on-one with everyone here. Listen carefuly fellow forumers, this is the truth.

*Everybody asks me, "what the @&&$ is this is forum about, what is up with those posts? It's an act, there is no GPSrow. You postin', brah? Well I'll give you more reason to reply to this post gents. Everyone has a little bit of GPSrow in them. Every bloody former out there, you're a forumer if you wanna be, brah. Stop being a troller, alright? Go out and get numerous amounts of likes.

*Taken from an excerpt of The Zyzz Revolution Speech for any do not understand his legacy.

Yesterday I, as a Newington College Year 12 Student took to the field in what was to be the last ever match I will play for my college.

As my alias stood, I was presumed to be an old-boy, finished in 07 that wanted to keep updated week-by-week and give the latest schoolboy trash talk, gossip and score/match reports etc. It was an act.

Now heading into my HSC Exams I ponder my pure procrastination on the G&G forums and ponder the pure achievements on this mystical utopia of Schoolboy rugby that consisted in my life outside of academia which I have become less 'fond' of.

From doing the GPS Preview, 2 match reports and sharing come classic banter with Wreckless, Lee Grant and Inside Shoulder, it has made me humbled to know that I have pleased, humoured and questioned hundreds of other forumers predictions and opinions.

From a Newington Student's Point of View, I do see the Newington Rugby Program making some serious progress in its successes but this is only noted in the A teams and the 1st XV. Next year, will be the true test for Newington's rugby has both depth and quality in numbers will need to shown espically in the Senior years. Luckily, there are always those few that will choose to rise and conquer that White jersey for the next 10 rounds to come.

Bye bye gents. I bid you well.

Good luck to you GPSRow.
Although I must say I am somewhat disappointed that you have not mentioned BARKING during the games. This was a def highlight of the New games especially during guest appearances in the 4ths.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
I believe it was Jack Clancy ( 12 ) but don't quote me! I didn't catch his name and they all look so different in blazer and uniform compared to the rugby gear!!! Sorry - maybe someone from Shore could clarify? Cheers, Wreckless :)

Thanks I only guessed #7 as he was always full of positive talk and trying to gee up the shore boys

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Why move up a team that only just won the competition? Surely that is a testament to the reasonable standard of 3rd grade for TAS. If they were belting nearly every team it would be understandable, but that is not the case.

First, my thanks to those who described the SID/SJC match and also took pleasure in the games. As you can imagine its created quite a stir in the broader TAS community. I have just so enjoyed the whole thing.

RR, how can you describe the thirds comp as stupid? You might say that it has created other problems, I would accept that. But as a football comp marked by sometimes very good rugby where the winner was unclear to the last round and then indeed, the whole comp was decided by an error on the bell, that's not stupid.

I accept your point about the question of standards. Last year's TAS team played in the seconds in place of SGS and wasn't disgraced. This year's team was perceived as weaker, hence the thirds, but still came first. In an earlier post I made two comments. First. as a smaller school with less Rugby depth, I wasn't sure how strong next year's TAS teams would be. I was trying to work that out. Second, I thought that TAS probably should play in the thirds to allow the school to bed down in the Sydney comp.

After all, this is the first year in which 180+ TAS boys have played in Sydney every second weekend. It's a learning experience. Someone spoke in another post of the schools as a club. its the transition from the 13s up that determines final strength. Rugby at TAS is strong, but it's also just one sport. When i played, it was the only winter sport. The 1962 TAS firsts included people like Rick How and was quite capable at its best of beating the Sydney schools. In the seconds, we beat Cranbrook seconds for example.

Saturday while 180 TAS boys were in Sydney, nine TAS teams played at home in the district soccer comp. So Rugby faces real competition, and not just at TAS.

My apologies for the length of this reply. Its been a pleasure this year to watch.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm not sure TAS are up to 2nds standard. Certainly not SJC & SIC. Anyway theres no putting them in the 2's it will stuff up an already stupid 3's comp
Did I say they should be put up? Please read my last paragraph again carefully. You'll also note that I said that they seemed to be of the same standard as the NC v Shore 2nds which followed them.

By what measure are you describing the 3rds competition as stupid?

NewMacca

Chris McKivat (8)
wow one major thing that i took away from this video is that andrew kellaway so vital to scots side. It will be intresting to see how scots goes without him next year

The 2nds number 10, Maddocks, could provide a similar x-factor to Kellaway after what I saw of his performance against New

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
wow one major thing that i took away from this video is that andrew kellaway so vital to scots side. It will be intresting to see how scots goes without him next year

totally agree. Also interestingly enough I noticed that Scots aren't even Champions? Co-Premiers sounds more like it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
First, my thanks to those who described the SID/SJC match and also took pleasure in the games. As you can imagine its created quite a stir in the broader TAS community. I have just so enjoyed the whole thing.

RR, how can you describe the thirds comp as stupid? You might say that it has created other problems, I would accept that. But as a football comp marked by sometimes very good rugby where the winner was unclear to the last round and then indeed, the whole comp was decided by an error on the bell, that's not stupid.

I accept your point about the question of standards. Last year's TAS team played in the seconds in place of SGS and wasn't disgraced. This year's team was perceived as weaker, hence the thirds, but still came first. In an earlier post I made two comments. First. as a smaller school with less Rugby depth, I wasn't sure how strong next year's TAS teams would be. I was trying to work that out. Second, I thought that TAS probably should play in the thirds to allow the school to bed down in the Sydney comp.

After all, this is the first year in which 180+ TAS boys have played in Sydney every second weekend. It's a learning experience. Someone spoke in another post of the schools as a club. its the transition from the 13s up that determines final strength. Rugby at TAS is strong, but it's also just one sport. When i played, it was the only winter sport. The 1962 TAS firsts included people like Rick How and was quite capable at its best of beating the Sydney schools. In the seconds, we beat Cranbrook seconds for example.

Saturday while 180 TAS boys were in Sydney, nine TAS teams played at home in the district soccer comp. So Rugby faces real competition, and not just at TAS.

My apologies for the length of this reply. Its been a pleasure this year to watch.
The inclusion of TAS this year has been a breath of fresh air. Yes, there were some minor logistical difficulties, but they've always existed. Even when High and Grammar were in 1sts, there were still offset and unmatched fixtures down the grades and in the age groups. The big 4 (in terms or rugby demographic) of TKS, SIC, SJC & Shore always had more teams that TSC, NC, SGS & SHS, although TSC have closed that gap somewhat. It's not so long ago that Hurlstone Ag and St Gregs filled spots in 2nd or 3rd XV grades.

Not in 2014, but at some point in the future, I suspect that both SGS & TAS will prove too strong for the 3rd XV competition, they're already too strong for the C grade in the age groups. They'll have to be moved up at some point, and human ingenuity and a bit of lateral thinking will find a way to make it work.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
it was the "already stupid 3rds comp" comment that I was looking to explore

It could lead to an interesting debate. I saw plenty of benefits of having the thirds comp, especially for Grammar and TAS teams. But I think schools like Newington suffered having the thirds away from the 2nds and 4ths.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Do you mind expanding on what was said?

All the usual stuff to the parents, school officials and coaches etc. but a respectful acknowledgement of the victor without letting anyone forget the effort and guts displayed by his team in the last game of a tough season. His recognition of his own teams efforts was made without any disrespect to Newington ( and in fact was reinforced by the Newington speaker! ) and spoke volumes of their spirit and commitment.

If I was part of this team after a 0 - 10 season I would be lining up to "go to war" again with this young man and my mates!

Both Captains made a special point to wish each others year 12's well in the HSC which has been a nice touch at all the after matches I have attended.

I don't know - maybe nothing special, but it resonated with me! :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It could lead to an interesting debate. I saw plenty of benefits of having the thirds comp, especially for Grammar and TAS teams. But I think schools like Newington suffered having the thirds away from the 2nds and 4ths.
That's the price they pay.
The alternative is to recognise the anachronism of the GPS and have grammar and TAS play in a different system, if they want to.
The boys at Grammar might have more chance of recognition in ISA than GPS. The Grammar captain this year was worthy of GPS selection, as he had been in u16s.
We shall see.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Based on my visit to Stanmore on Saturday, TAS 1sts were to Newington 3rds what Newington 1sts were to Shore 1sts. Physically bigger and stronger and more athletic. TAS had obviously been prepared physically and mentally as a 1st XV and NC prepared as a 3rd XV. Which is why I believe a way will be found in the not too distant future for TAS and Grammar to play in the 2nds.

Status
Not open for further replies.