• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
interesting discussion re Athletics timing ....

personally I think the bigger shame is timing of Rep games

looking at the above possible GPS squad (suggested above)... it is just all being based on reputations and last season

so promising younger kids from Joeys, Newington, Shore ..(ie mccutcheon, grant, Tarogi, Dowsett) have little chance versus those that might be in their 2nd or 3rd seasons

the whole 4 term year is a pest ... go back to 3 terms, I say

Dr.AbsXI

Stan Wickham (3)
What about GPS 2s and 3s? Any thoughts? And who is Scots Fly half this year?

Have to note that I've heard that the GPS 3rd XV has been abolished this year. Not sure how true however came from reputable source.

Also, I presume that Callum Styles will play 10 for Scots this years

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
and the other issue of having Rep season after 1 round, is what happened to Angus Crichton last year

copped a neck injury, and then effectively missed the rest of the season

might get to the stage, where you do a Jamie Lyons, and rule yourself out of Rep honours

and lets face it, would you rather play in the CAS v GPs midweek game, or in front of a massive Joeys v Scots crowd?

I concede we won't be going back to 3 terms, but they should move Rep games to later in year IMHO :D

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
1. Vuni Fifita (New)
2. Evan Prichard (View)
3. Hosea Fotokuva (View)
4. Koim Wingti (Joeys)
5. Toby Rudolph (Scots)
6. George Lehmann (Kings)
7. Jum Woodhill (Shore)
8. Angus Crichton (Scots)
9. Harry Emery (Shore)
10. Connor O'Shea (Joeys)
11. Guy Porter (Scots)
12. Willo McDonnell (Joeys)
13. Henry Hutchinson (View)
14. Simon Kennewell (New)
15. James Kane (Kings)

For the most part I agree with the make up of this team, but surely Bowditch and Freeman are considerations, although I do think that Kane is a sensational player, he should definitely be in the side. I'd also watchout for Beau Peterson from View, he's in great form. I also think Taylor Deer from Scots is a great player, I'd move Woodhill to 6 and slot Deer in at 7. Anyone think McGregor is a chance at 5/8?

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
For the most part I agree with the make up of this team, but surely Bowditch and Freeman are considerations, although I do think that Kane is a sensational player, he should definitely be in the side. I'd also watchout for Beau Peterson from View, he's in great form. I also think Taylor Deer from Scots is a great player, I'd move Woodhill to 6 and slot Deer in at 7. Anyone think McGregor is a chance at 5/8?
I dont have a great knowledge of all the 10's out there, but given he was only year 10 last year, but by the back half of the season was clearly outplaying some of the names above already being considered he would have to be a chance at GPS 1' or 2's. This will be his second year at this level, and is in the NGS / NSW 18's squad.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I dont have a great knowledge of all the 10's out there, but given he was only year 10 last year, but by the back half of the season was clearly outplaying some of the names above already being considered he would have to be a chance at GPS 1' or 2's. This will be his second year at this level, and is in the NGS / NSW 18's squad.

You must be kidding about McGregor. I saw him completely at sea on more than one occasion. I don't think he should have been in the Opens last year in the first place. As for Bowditch, he offers little but size.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
interesting discussion re Athletics timing ..

personally I think the bigger shame is timing of Rep games

looking at the above possible GPS squad (suggested above). it is just all being based on reputations and last season

so promising younger kids from Joeys, Newington, Shore ..(ie mccutcheon, grant, Tarogi, Dowsett) have little chance versus those that might be in their 2nd or 3rd seasons

the whole 4 term year is a pest . go back to 3 terms, I say

I would have to agree with you on the selection issue. Kids get picked in these "gold" squads at an early age and then they seem to be the only ones considered from then on. This is why some of the late bloomers who only get to play 2nds or 3rds at school have more success than whose who are "stars" at school once they leave school. Why play trials or even a competition when the teams are selected on previous years form and not current form.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

That is always useful to have on your CV.
Are there any other AAGPS #10's in the NGS?

Joeys Boys have previously not been in NGS. Apparently something to do with the logistics of moving boarders to and from Moore Park for the NGS sessions.

However Deegan (Joeys) was selected to a high representative level last year without a NGS stamp in his passport, over other #10's that were in NGS. This shows that there is scope for the non-NGS folk to do likewise with the right form, attitude, approach and application.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
That is always useful to have on your CV.
Are there any other AAGPS #10's in the NGS?

Joeys Boys have previously not been in NGS. Apparently something to do with the logistics of moving boarders to and from Moore Park for the NGS sessions.

However Deegan (Joeys) was selected to a high representative level last year without a NGS stamp in his passport, over other #10's that were in NGS. This shows that there is scope for the non-NGS folk to do likewise with the right form, attitude, approach and application.
Totally agree, my comments were a broad response to the question does anyone think the kids a chance. I don't think NGS is a guarantee for anything, nor should it be, but it does suggest he can play so would be in consideration you would think. Like every thing it should come down to form, even though there will only be 1 or 2 games to evaluate all players.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You must be kidding about McGregor. I saw him completely at sea on more than one occasion. I don't think he should have been in the Opens last year in the first place. As for Bowditch, he offers little but size.

Take it easy on him buddy.

I personally think it's a great player, and, for the sake of comparison, he was a much better player in Year 10 than Deegan was. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the GPS 1st, though I do confess to not knowing a lot about his competition. From what I have seen he is playing very well this year, his confidence is at another level, which is great to see.

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can confirm the View v Augs game is on at 3:15 at rat park. 3rds & 2nds are before the game at the usual times on the main oval. Don't know what must be happening with the Rats colts that day. Everyone seems to be having withdrawles with aths on this weekend.

How have Kings gone in trials?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Augustine's always get the main ground when there is a clash with colts as they pay for use of the ground. When it's grade, they negotiate.

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fair enough. Good ground that one much better than Brookvale in my opinion. Good association for Rats to have to keep colts coming through their club I imagine.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
I would have to agree with you on the selection issue. Kids get picked in these "gold" squads at an early age and then they seem to be the only ones considered from then on. This is why some of the late bloomers who only get to play 2nds or 3rds at school have more success than whose who are "stars" at school once they leave school. Why play trials or even a competition when the teams are selected on previous years form and not current form.

grab it with both hands and hang on for dear life.......
my grandmother smoked 'till she was 95, Palmer makes sense and naturopathy really does work

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
If the selectors have two players of similar ilk for the same position, they will go with the more "easily coached" kid every time. A kid that WANTS to be there, rather thinking they DESERVE to be there.
Therefore certain players shall not be in the 1's. And those that get picked in the lower GPS sides go and see their pysch's re anger management issues

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Again props are going to be the issue. The game has changed so much, that the big units now need to be mobile. Gone are the days where they could all be Matt dunnings. Props are going to be more than just good scrummagers. Surely there are some smokies in the props area, maybe they played in seconds last year, new to the schools, coming back from injury etc. Those in the know at view, scots, SJC, etc may be could provide some names?

Outsidein

Frank Row (1)
Wa
Again props are going to be the issue. The game has changed so much, that the big units now need to be mobile. Gone are the days where they could all be Matt dunnings. Props are going to be more than just good scrummagers. Surely there are some smokies in the props area, maybe they played in seconds last year, new to the schools, coming back from injury etc. Those in the know at view, scots, SJC, etc may be could provide some names?

Want to see a mobile forward pack, look at SHORE and The Scots College. Excellent mobility, all hard ball runners, who have exceptional ball handling for forwards, and can also make a hit when it counts. Great mix of power, skill and vision, enhancing a teams ability to attack and also defend with a greater number of forwards being mobile, allowing them to make tackles they would otherwise miss and getting over the ball quicker for turnover which can be confidently run through forwards hands to the backs, capitalising on ball turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.