• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spirit of cupertino

I was at all those games. Say what you like about him as a senior player but he was the best schoolboy player I ever saw, and I've seen a few. Sometimes the whole game was like a highlights package: not tries all the time, of course.

It was a joy to go to all the Joeys games in those three years and sometimes I would sit with his proud granddad.

Lindommer was there too, running up the touchline with his flag, deceptively slow.

Ya gotta love schools footie; gotta.

I mostly watched the forwards. What's their hooker Fitzy doing these days>

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/schoolboy-rugby-a-modest-proposal/

Above was the most sensible proposal put on Schoolboy rugby. Like many sensible things, ignored. Had it been implemented;

- the weaker GPS Schools could be playing other firsts teams for the whole comp;
-the arms race schools could do what they want in their own comp with like minded schools from other Assocciations;
-much of the divisive debate arising out of scholarships etc would have been and would be reduced, thus ensuring a more collegiate GPS on the whole.

Since rugby is just one of many GPS sports, this proposal would sink despite its many benefits. From a rugby perspective, what you have proposed makes enormous sense. From a GPS sporting association's point of view, splitting apart the traditional rivals will take a power of doing. To be achieved, it will require lots of support from high profile and influential figures in the Australian sporting landscape.
So you are possibly right - not in our lifetimes. UNLESS there are many more blow out scores and (hopefully not) injuries.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
quiet thursday evening, if anyones not doing anything have a watch of this old video, nothing but class from Kurtley

Enjoyed that footage - a blast from the not-so-distant past!
Reminded me of Joeys V Scots in 2005 with Kurtley at the helm, resulting in a walkover to Joeys. The following season, the re-match saw Kurtley out with a wrist injury and Joeys sneaked in for a win by about 3 points. He certainly was influential. I hope he can maintain that dominance for the 'Tahs and Wallabies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I mostly watched the forwards. What's their hooker Fitzy doing these days>

He's playing in France.

He wasn't in the 1st XV when KB (Kurtley Beale) was playing (unless he played off the bench). He was a backrower in the Twos.

The following year when KB (Kurtley Beale) was with the Tahs, Fitzy was the Joeys captain.

He was also the Oz Schools captain - one of four from Joeys in consecutive years.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Apologies if it was meant RL, I took the original post as Rugby Union.
Lam and Tyrone were picked in the Australian U15 RL last year, although I don't think that team actually played a game.

No it was an honour team and I didn't know Lam made it. Could not see TT's name in the Roosters Harrold Matts team.
They played together in a union team, I think, as recently as 2011.
Certainly Lam was in the 2011 Randwick state champs team...Tyrone may have been the age group behind but he played in that comp as well in that year and for the last 2 years. I think he was picked into the U15 zone teams from U14 state champs last year.
Unfortunately I have not seen Lam playing union for a while.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He's playing in France.

He wasn't in the 1st XV when KB (Kurtley Beale) was playing (unless he played of the bench). He was a backrower in the Twos.

The following year when KB (Kurtley Beale) was with the Tahs, Fitzy was the Joeys captain.

He was also the Oz Schools captain - one of four from Joeys in consecutive years.

That must have almost been the last time SJC won the premiership?
2014 may be their year is my quiet feeling.

anonymous_

Frank Nicholson (4)
No it was an honour team and I didn't know Lam made it. Could not see TT's name in the Roosters Harrold Matts team.
They played together in a union team, I think, as recently as 2011.
Certainly Lam was in the 2011 Randwick state champs team.Tyrone may have been the age group behind but he played in that comp as well in that year and for the last 2 years. I think he was picked into the U15 zone teams from U14 state champs last year.
Unfortunately I have not seen Lam playing union for a while.

As I said his dad told me he is not playing league this year, I'll ask him about the roosters when I see him again. However wouldn't the roosters insist he plays league if they have him on a contract?

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
It would appear that the TSC 1st XV are travelling to Qld this weekend for a trial match against TSS. No passport required this time. Lucky it wasn't against Toowoomba Grammar.

TSS play Scots today at Bond University @2PM.
The game is on straight before the Brisbane Premier 1sts game between Bond University and Norths

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That must have almost been the last time SJC won the premiership?.

Yeah 2007 was the last year.

It is a lot tougher for Joeys these days and I don't think they will ever get the dominance in the 1st XV they once had, but they will have dominance in overall rugby results for the foreseeable future.

A few other schools seem to have very good 1st XV teams some years, but they have no depth.

Everybody knows why the trend of recent Joeys overall results compared to the other GPS schools as a whole, is superior to the trend of Joeys recent standings in the 1st XV competition compared to other GPS schools as a whole, but that is better discussed in the thread devoted to the topic.

The other thing is that Joeys has always relied on a big intake of country boys and they are doing it tough in the bush these days. The number of boys in the school has dropped significantly since my lads went there, last I looked.

This year? Talk is cheap but I bet that they will have the best overall results.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yeah 2007 was the last year.

It is a lot tougher for Joeys these days and I don't think they will ever get the dominance in the 1st XV they once had, but they will have dominance in overall rugby results for the foreseeable future.

A few other schools seem to have very good 1st XV teams some years, but they have no depth.

Everybody knows why the trend of recent Joeys overall results compared to the other GPS schools as a whole, is superior to the trend of Joeys recent standings in the 1st XV competition compared to other GPS schools as a whole, but that is better discussed in the thread devoted to the topic.

The other thing is that Joeys has always relied on a big intake of country boys and they are doing it tough in the bush these days. The number of boys in the school has dropped significantly since my lads went there, last I looked.

This year? Talk is cheap but I bet that they will have the best overall results.

They remain the gold standard of schoolboy rugby for that reason.

IIRC, last year SJC and TSC played 30 games of rugby one Saturday at Hunters Hill and TSC won 3. Quod erat demonstrandum.

S

spirit of cupertino

Perhaps we are too quick in grabbing the haloes of the stars for the rest of the school that they represent, Lee. Fitzy, Horwitz, Creighton all starts of their day, all from families running butcheries. A coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.