• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Patrol

Frank Row (1)
it is called a trial for a reason, to try players out to optimise their full potential. Condon performed quite well in his short time at half back for the 1sts in the final couple of trials last term so it will be interesting to see how he performs. You may be surprised though, he has potential

Yes i totally agree, even though riverview are missing their usual 10, trials like this give players like him the experience, if anything were to happen to the usual 10, he could then back up. However, rumour has it, he needs to work on his goal kicking to further push his selection.

Another player from view that would be interesting to watch would be Josh desilvi (spelling?) I hear he is a push for 3rds or even 2nds at hooker who has some real potential. Any info on him?

Does o'shea have any challeneges for this number 10 spot at joeys? all is it all his?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Guys we weren't born yesterday.

There's obviously some Riverview boys talking amongst themselves.

A few weeks ago it was the Trinity mob talking themselves or their mates up, and there was a bunch of lads from Queensland having a grand old time too.

They are nearly always boarders. You can spot them a mile off: they have a small number of posts, quote each other and often "Like" each other too.

At least you View boys know how to write a sentence and are generally polite.

I know a fellow on the Council of the school so, if this continues, I may get him to pass on a message to the Headmaster congratulating him for the success of the English department, and why.

Guys you can talk to each other, literally: don't "take the mickey" with us for your own amusement.

Some of you know a bit about rugby but in the future post items that are not round-robin nonsense, else we will ban you.

And we may have to guess for the good of the thread if you haven't been with us a while, and we don't know you because you haven't racked up a good number of posts.

Thank you guys.

LG

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Lee Grant,
In addition to the usual indicators you have mentioned, I also think that the technical folk behind G&GR, like @Moses and others, can track where posts come from based on the IP address with little effort.

Checking IP addressing on posts can quickly identify boarding houses, or a group of mates/siblings having a posting war from one address.

With respect to the first situation, I am sure that the IT Department at <insert school name> would be interested to learn of how the School internet connection is used. Not really worth it.

west wyalong

Bob McCowan (2)
@Lee Grant,
In addition to the usual indicators you have mentioned, I also think that the technical folk behind G&GR, like @Moses and others, can track where posts come from based on the IP address with little effort.

Checking IP addressing on posts can quickly identify boarding houses, or a group of mates/siblings having a posting war from one address.

With respect to the first situation, I am sure that the IT Department at <insert school name> would be interested to learn of how the School internet connection is used. Not really worth it.

Wouldn't it we easier to check email addresses. If they are boarders they are most likely using their school email addresses.

DubboDemon

Bob McCowan (2)
While I agree with Mrs Grant and Jarse, I also believe that they have the relevant skills to simply ignore boys dealing with the stress of puberty and the HSC. Not everyone on this thread has a negative intent, nor have we such a well paying job as to be able to focus our times and attentions on the lack of judgement displayed by our youngest rugger boys.

While this is a small tangent, it seems that the entire season is heating up over the next few weeks. With only one more round without athletes, it will be interesting to see their reintegration into sides already well developed in their set piece and style.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Firstly, this quote is indicative of the line of argumentation being used by lots of people. Even if it were the case that the Riverview team "struggled", I reject the idea that this has much of a bearing on this years' result.

But you were the one who used last year's results to support your argument.

Firstly, they were strong, they came 3rd in a year where Newington and Scots were extremely strong - they still convincingly beat Joeys, Shore, and Kings (not the second time round mind you), and they were testing for New and Scots. Post #662.

I'd suggest that last year's results will always have a bearing on the current year - that's where the players are coming from.

They did struggle against the bigger New and Scots teams - that might not apply this year if the boys have matured in the past 12 months.

Depth may also count against Riverview as the 16As competition last year was essentially a 2 tier competition - Joeys, Scots and Kings were at a different level to Riverview, Newington and Shore. The best 16s players were already playing opens, so little ready made 1st XV players coming from there.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You're not having it off with my missus are you HJ?

No wonder she has a smile on her face.

Talking amongst ourselves?

Well, since we have about 20K posts between us we can break a rule now and then.
Na. Not me. With Me and Mrs Grant, I'm all referee - "hands off black 7" "Roll away black 7"

Not worth any chance of La Jarse finding out. :)

The smile - A secret stash of Bombay Gin perhaps?

DubboDemon

Bob McCowan (2)
Apologies for believing that I could abbreviate the plural without any grammar Nazi's coming to the rescue. I assure Monsieurs Jarse and Grant that I meant no disrespect, and hope that their 'missus'(es) feel no disrespect also. Regardless, I must apologise to my Rhetoric French Teacher, Mme DuPont, for my inability to remember her not so often heeded lessons.

Meanwhile, the View Boys must take a break from Posting as they attend Bathurst. I had heard that the team matchups are interesting, as previously mentioned in this thread. Scots Bathurst are up against a 5 XV, which for a first trial for the Riverview team would be interesting. Are Scots deserving of such a low grade opposition or are they more likely to cause some significant damage?

Thoughts?

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I am suffering a rugby drought! The first TAS trial won't be until 17 May, the first GPS game 14 June. Not living in Armidale, I can't get to things like the very large juniors carnival.

On boys on this forum, the more the merrier. Any TAS boys present? I think some of this Sydney lot deserve education. By the way, the TAS soccer team seems to be doing well.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
But you were the one who used last year's results to support your argument.

Firstly, they were strong, they came 3rd in a year where Newington and Scots were extremely strong - they still convincingly beat Joeys, Shore, and Kings (not the second time round mind you), and they were testing for New and Scots. Post #662.

I'd suggest that last year's results will always have a bearing on the current year - that's where the players are coming from.

They did struggle against the bigger New and Scots teams - that might not apply this year if the boys have matured in the past 12 months.

Depth may also count against Riverview as the 16As competition last year was essentially a 2 tier competition - Joeys, Scots and Kings were at a different level to Riverview, Newington and Shore. The best 16s players were already playing opens, so little ready made 1st XV players coming from there.

I don't believe I ever used that argument to support my claim that they'd do well this year, it was just a response to your criticism of last year's performance.

I suggest you re-read what I wrote, you initiated discussion of previous year's results long before I even mentioned last year's performance - cut me some slack Quick Hands, I'm not stupid enough to use 2013's 3rd place result as evidence of a 2014 victory!

It's also somewhat specious reasoning to suggest that Riverview don't have depth because their 16As weren't strong last year - the depth exists, it's just that it was allocated to the opens - the best players were playing getting crucial experience and exposure to higher level rugby, for instance Hutchinson, McGregor, Rorke, Hurley, Hancock, Hamilton, Archer et al.

I'll try to end this debate right now because I am sick of the tenuous link between last year's performance and this year's performance - as many people have rightly pointed out 12 of last year's 1st XV at View were 17 - a few were 16 - and they were competing against teams largely composed of 18 year olds. Considering that the vast majority of the members of the Riverview side are back, while the vast majority of the members of the sides that "dominated" them have left, your argument is in error because the contributing factor to those "dominations" - i.e. the players that were better than the Riverview players, have left, while Riverview's strong players still remain.

It is often the case that a team will be somewhat weak and come back the next year with a strong 1st XV. I previously used the analogous example of Riverview 2010/2011 sides, while Newington in 2009/2010 stands out as another example.

These examples prove that ANY sides success in a given year is by no means contingent on their form the year before, because as I have shown the coaching structures, set piece, team chemistry, and importantly the team's composition change almost invariably every year, thus a team can go from weak to strong, even if it were the case that Riverview were "weak" last year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's also somewhat specious reasoning to suggest that Riverview don't have depth because their 16As weren't strong last year - the depth exists, it's just that it was allocated to the opens - the best players were playing getting crucial experience and exposure to higher level rugby, for instance Hutchinson, McGregor, Rorke, Hurley, Hancock, Hamilton, Archer et al.

It is often the case that a team will be somewhat weak and come back the next year with a strong 1st XV. I previously used the analogous example of Riverview 2010/2011 sides, while Newington in 2009/2010 stands out as another example

That's true that many of their 16As played opens, my point being that being the case, Riverview aren't really going to be able to depend on players who were playing in the 16s age group to come through and bolster their 1st team or their depth, as those players are already in opens. Whereas, Scots, Joeys and Kings will have boys coming through to add to 1sts or 2nds from their 2013 16As.

The other side of this is that those 16s who played last year will benefit from a season against older boys at a higher level.

You are correct in saying that the chemistry of teams is important, and we will never know how this works until we see teams in action.

It's also correct to point out that teams can improve from one year to another, but it's just as true to say that sometimes the team which is favorite based on the previous year never live up to the hype. Which way Riverview goes, we won't know for a few months.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.