• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
TKS go to 10ths in rugby and soccer.
I don't think there is room for complacency as to the health of GPS rugby: those are some big scores today.

But he lower down the age groups you go, soccer reaches parity in 15s, goes ahead in 14s and in 13s, almose twice as many teams. Change isn't going our way.

4 schools out of 8 now have more soccer teams than rugby, 1 is 50/50 and 3 more rugby than soccer.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
But he lower down the age groups you go, soccer reaches parity in 15s, goes ahead in 14s and in 13s, almose twice as many teams. Change isn't going our way.

4 schools out of 8 now have more soccer teams than rugby, 1 is 50/50 and 3 more rugby than soccer.

Ahh, this is quite disappointing to read. But I suppose there is some consolation in the fact that there's only 11 people in a soccer team compared to 15 in a Rugby team - I'd like to know what the ratio of soccer players to rugby players is at most schools, teams isn't necessarily the best indicator of the more popular sport.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Joeys result is just not acceptable. For a proud school with strong sides in lower grades it is not good enough. Scots were always going be stronger but not nine tries to one. I don't think anyone could seriously argue that is the best 15 joeys can put on the park.

Was a bad day at the office, Scots very clinical and I would say will beat Riverview, which would be a shame.

But Fireball, who would your team be?

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Was a bad day at the office, Scots very clinical and I would say will beat Riverview, which would be a shame.

But Fireball, who would your team be?

Interesting call but it's too early to tell, both got good results against opposition that probably weren't playing at their best.

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
Blood bath at Bellevue. Scotts too good. Biggest win against Joeys in recent memory.

Full time 53-7.

Cranbrook took outright lead today in CAS with win over Knox.
This year's Scots v Cranbrook game next month may be a touch more competitive than normal - thank goodness.
Should be a great game for fans of schoolboy rugby.

F

fireball

I doubt anyone joeys put in would have changed the result today scots were red hot but I thought margan was strong after replacing cutler early and he'd played a full game of seconds in the front row I think king and grant are better stronger and faster options on the wings they both made good metres whenever they had the ball in seconds Banjo travers at half is another option lachie Simpson would add a bit of muscle and vigour that was missing from the back row today. But I don't expect any changes and maybe the boys in firsts need some time to show what they're made of but the trials were ordinary today was worse and no one wants a season of what was dished up today.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Riverview went down to Kings, don't know the exact score.
In the 16a's Kings ran out winners 29-17. Kings were solid across the park in the first half opening up a 17-0 advantage at the break. Second half saw a resurgent View take it to Kings who really had to dig deep to keep them at bay.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ahh, this is quite disappointing to read. But I suppose there is some consolation in the fact that there's only 11 people in a soccer team compared to 15 in a Rugby team - I'd like to know what the ratio of soccer players to rugby players is at most schools, teams isn't necessarily the best indicator of the more popular sport.

The number of teams is a reasonably good indicator and the trend is away from rugby towards soccer in all schools except Scots who have gone the other way.

The picture is something like this: (rugby/soccer)

J 41/16
E 38/21
S 30/22
K 31/38
N 26/31
G 12/30
H 12/30
I ?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I doubt anyone joeys put in would have changed the result today scots were red hot but I thought margan was strong after replacing cutler early and he'd played a full game of seconds in the front row I think king and grant are better stronger and faster options on the wings they both made good metres whenever they had the ball in seconds Banjo travers at half is another option lachie Simpson would add a bit of muscle and vigour that was missing from the back row today. But I don't expect any changes and maybe the boys in firsts need some time to show what they're made of but the trials were ordinary today was worse and no one wants a season of what was dished up today.

Scots are a very very good rugby team and realistically it's difficult to see anyone other than Riverview running them close.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Scots are a very very good rugby team and realistically it's difficult to see anyone other than Riverview running them close.

Like the vast majority of games, victory between Scots v Riverview is likely to be decided in the forwards. However, if View can gain parity or beyond up front IMHO View have the edge (albeit perhaps marginally) in the backs. Their Rd 5 and last game of the season clashes should be memorable.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
I left at 1/2 time but I'm buggered if my imagination is up to working out how TKS got 17.
There's not much point kicking away the ball to a bloke in as good form as Freeman seems to be.

Very surprising tactic by Kings given that they hardly kicked in the trial last week against Shore.

Freeman has a couple of handy blokes to link with too.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
RM2 (@#1209)

Why would it "be a shame"

Surely the best team on the day - & on the scoreboard - deserves the victor's spoils ?

The lads from Hunters Hill were beaten by a better team - today ; - doesn't mean they can't win the return match.

You only have to look at 2013 to observe this "in play"....

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joeys might have copped a flogging in the 1sts... However their dominance across every other game (and age group) shows their rugby programme remains the pinnacle.

At the end of the day, IMHO it ain't about "bragging rights" ... And the spirit and manner in which joeys plays is second to none

And I have no doubt joeys boys will bounce back from this ... With big scalps to come in future matches

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Joeys might have copped a flogging in the 1sts. However their dominance across every other game (and age group) shows their rugby programme remains the pinnacle.

At the end of the day, IMHO it ain't about "bragging rights" . And the spirit and manner in which joeys plays is second to none

And I have no doubt joeys boys will bounce back from this . With big scalps to come in future matches
A wounded joeys is a very difficult customer for any of the sides. This is a long season, with a very disjointed start to it. Round 1 results were of no surprise, just the score lines were way out of expectation. Those losing sides will get much better, and the score blow outs may be more a reflection on the season preparation. Many questioned the logic of view and Scots not playing a trial last weekend. It is now pretty obvious why that was a good decision. All through the trials, even as late as last week with joeys and Newington the talk was sides like joeys will be better when they get their athletes back, and are experimenting with combinations. It just goes to show if you are experimenting 1 week out, you are way behind the pace setters. I hope the losing sides get their act together, otherwise this season will be 2or3 horse race with, joeys, kings and shore just making up the numbers.

Bigg Dogg 84

Frank Row (1)
What a great first round. With three dominant teams (so far) and half way through the GPS selection is anyone willing to take a stab at the GPS 1st/2nd/3rd XV?

My favourites for possible selections based on yesterdays performances are as follows:

Possibles:
View- Hutcho, Freeman, Bowditch, Hosea, McGregor, Pritchard.
Joeys- Horton, 13, 8, 15.
Kings- Kane, Burke.
Shore- Woodhill, Emery.
Scots- Crichton, Porter, Rudolf, Smith, McCauley, Sedgeman, Terbutt, Hendrie.
New- Kennewell, Sepesa.

Round 2 predictions:

Joeys v Shore: joeys to win, +5 points (will be a tough game based on what shore have been producing)

New- View: View to win +30 points (view will be to quick in the back line for Kennewell and Sepesa to defend by themselves.

Kings v Scots: Scots to win +30 points (Scots will start slow and ease in to the game much like against Joeys)

These are just opinions, More than happy for people to critique the following list (feel free to name a team). It will be interesting to see how things pan out next round.

Status
Not open for further replies.